I would reall love a honest critique on this please

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 195
on 3 Apr 2014 7:29 PM

Hello Everybody! I just joined this forum because I'm looking for a place where I can get a good honest critique on my work...I am currently trying to build a strong portfolio and I want to grow with each piece, not stalemate, and for me it really helps to have someone tell me what I did wrong...especially with all my facial proportions. On this piece I had an especially hard time...it is a self portrait and I can see all the flaws myself and it drives me crazy, but I can't quite place exactly what went wrong. I also would like to know if the mess up is glaringly obvious or just me being petty...even though it's "finished", if it is too bad I would rather go back and attempt to fix it rather than show it as is. Thank you so much for your time!!!

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 3 Apr 2014 7:55 PM

I really like this a lot, especially The shading.  I personally feel like the face shape is a little bit long if you know what I mean, and there could be a bit more blending with the eyeshadow, but overall I think you should DEFIANTLY submit this to your portfolio, I think its a really great Idea, And I love the wolf skulls to!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 3 Apr 2014 7:56 PM

I really like this a lot, especially The shading.  I personally feel like the face shape is a little bit long if you know what I mean, and there could be a bit more blending with the eyeshadow, but overall I think you should DEFIANTLY submit this to your portfolio, I think its a really great Idea, And I love the wolf skulls to!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 195
on 4 Apr 2014 2:20 AM

Yeah the face is too long... LOL, I erased and moved my nose and eyes all over the place and just couldn't fix it....unfortunately I caught it quite late in the game when too much had been done to start fresh. Also the eyeshadow did start to get muddy and really difficult to work with too but that doesn't bother me too much, I can handle that, it's the mess up in proportion that frustrated me. Thank you so much for the critique!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 335
Points 4,045
on 4 Apr 2014 3:03 PM

This is a very interesting piece and I keep on seeing new things in different areas of the artwork. I would say that, because it has a fantasy/ mystical message, there is no right or wrong. You are being hyper critical as it is "you". The only thing that I would look at is the shadow on the cheek of the left head/cheek & shadow under chin. Do I think the face is too long, yes, ever so slightly. A friend of mine did a series with faces that look very similar to yours and the proportion was totally wrong but that is the style of the painting. Add it to your portfolio with pride.

Margs Haslewood was born in Johannesburg, South Africa and spent most of the time doing things that I had to do. In 1998 I moved to Cape Town and started painting and sculpture 5 years ago.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 195
on 4 Apr 2014 3:25 PM

I definitely see what you are talking about on that shadow under the chin....and I'm sure I am being to critical, I'm such a perfectionist. Thank you so much!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 155
markt561 wrote
on 8 Apr 2014 2:52 PM

Nice job, very smooth blending and dreamlike.

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 155
KellyW91 wrote
on 16 Apr 2014 6:12 AM

I loved your painting.... It reflects pain..I love the details and the colors...I'd recommend you to display it on an online art gallery

Exporting Art - A DEDICATED ONLINE RESOURCE FOR THE ART WORLD

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 165
516 wrote
on 3 May 2014 8:22 PM

Hi,

I would not worry at all about the facial proportions.  The faces express sorrow, and it works.  Also, I wouldn't worry about the shading.  This painting should be more about the feelings it expresses rather than how "perfect" the shading is.  In fact, the more you overwork it, the more you will detract from the immediacy and rawness of the emotional content.  If you feel you *must* do something more to this picture, I would think about making the tears appear more transparent (or just erase them)... UNLESS you mean them to echo the lilies and wolves, which would make total sense.

I like the lyrical fluidity of the composition--it moves along in a very meaningful way; and I like the strange gentleness of the imagery. 

Thanks! :)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS