ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 42 - APRIL, 2014

This post has 213 Replies | 15 Followers rated by 6 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,805
Turps245 wrote
on 21 Apr 2014 1:53 AM

Thunk, Good work on the lady of the lamp. She is not easy. I like your more Rubinesque look to her. you have really turned the form and given her volume.

Geri, Glad you made it in time for Easter. Your Bunny looks great and very alert ready to hop off to the pub after a good mornings delivery. Happy Easter to you too!

Well I had another go at the lamp lady tonight and it looks a little better proportioned this time.

in my sketchbook Derwent graphtone 6b and Derwent Onyx dark.pencils. I couldn't get the base either so left it out!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 455
Kerthunkeh wrote
on 21 Apr 2014 7:55 AM

Turps, yes, the lady lamp was not easy at all.  I particularly found getting the shape of the hands difficult.  Clearly I need to keep practicing the drawing of hands.  You did a really great job at the top of the lamp shade where the hands hands connect.  

Geri, big fan of that watercolour and ink rabbit.  Personally, I really like the leaves and the background you have done, I think it is adding to it's character.

I doubt I will find time to do any more pieces this month.  It was fun.  I look forward to next month.

C&c are welcome! Love what you do. 

Love who you are. Love nature. Love art. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 658
Points 10,625
karend84 wrote
on 21 Apr 2014 9:43 AM

Thunk nice drawing of the lamp.  Interesting that you gave her more curves and volume. 

Geri your bunny is wonderful.  I can see his nose twitching. He's ready to jump off.  Great job.

Jen you really got the lamp this time.  I love the sleek lines of this.  Great job.  The material and glass shade are also done very well. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 658
Points 10,625
karend84 wrote
on 21 Apr 2014 9:50 AM

Thought I'd post the sister lamp in case anyone wants to try a different pose.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,805
Turps245 wrote
on 21 Apr 2014 10:27 PM

Karen and Thunk, tanks for the comments on the lamp lady! Those lamps  are beautiful and unique even if the poses  are somewhat unnatural but more artistic. Might have a go at the latest one.

Today I got some new clay! I started on a sunbathing gnome as the days are getting warmer (88F) here on Saturday. Seemed to fit in with Spring like activities., got to get a start on that tan!

He will eventually get a fit leaf to hide his modesty! The neighbors might object to nudity as this is the South!  He only has one leg because Howard dragged me away to take his car in for Service! Still very rough. As one of the ladies took pictures of everyone I thought I would torture you with one of me at the studio about to start on the naked lad! My paintings in back.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 919
Points 20,310
Hearadh wrote
on 22 Apr 2014 5:40 AM

Hello Karen..re. your underpainting...as it is a topographical subject a focal point isn't necessary so ignore my comment please.

Hello Geri.....very fine penwork textures..the background doesn't detract from the rabbit...simpler contrast so it works for me.. Not sure about the shape of the anatomy of the body between the front leg and back...could be that the depth of shadow between the two legss isn't dark enough? Still think it is a very sensitive  drawing.

Jen and Thunk...ladies with the lamp...improving with each drawing!!!!!!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,475
Points 23,635
Berkenstock wrote
on 22 Apr 2014 10:22 PM

Sarah you are exactly right about that tumor looking thing on the side of the rabbit.  There was a color change in the fur there and I made it too dark and could not fix it.  My trying was making it worst so that is what I settled for . 

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,475
Points 23,635
Berkenstock wrote
on 22 Apr 2014 11:08 PM

I knew I was behind in my posting but I did not think it was this bad.  Some good work this month so far.

That busy bee Jan is making us all look bad.  Work work work.  Your robin is well done I bet that it reminds you of home being am English Robin.  Your flasher Gnome is looking good and your bunny turned out great not to mention your sketches of the lamp.  When do you have time to sleep???

Welcome Thunk.  It will be good to have some testosterone in the group.  Since Fred left I was feeling like the Lone Ranger.  I liked how you handled the lamb.  Your butterfly was well done and so was your lamp sketch.

Karen your land scape was extremely well done.  You were probably the star pupil.  The WIP is looking great.  You do fine work.

Nealy your ink drawing of the paint buckets is well done.  I think some more darks would help.  I know that brown ink is hard to get truly dark.  I cheat and add some black in the deep shadows.  Your Wanted poster was a hoot.  Better than Photoshop.  Great detail around the eyes.

The pastel of the lamb Sarah was very nice I hope it was worth all the sneezing. I really like the butter fly and flower paintings the background on the butterfly was very well done.  Oh by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  I will leave it to you if you want to disclose your age since a gentleman does not discuss a ladies age.

Claudia your chicken picture made me smile.  I am a chicken person (a great affliction) and I liked yours.  I have to agree it is almost like two pictures in one painting though.

Well I hope I did not miss anybody.  It is almost tomorrow so that is all for now.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 919
Points 20,310
Hearadh wrote
on 23 Apr 2014 10:47 AM

Thanks Geri for your kind words......you are a gentleman  :)

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,475
Points 23,635
Berkenstock wrote
on 23 Apr 2014 11:52 PM

I did a couple of quick drawings of the lamps in my sketch book.  Not exactly my best work.  The figures are deceptive.  They are not as easy as they look.

Ball point pen in 5x7 sketchbook.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,805
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Apr 2014 12:49 AM

Well done Gerri you got those girls pretty well. No they are not easy as they are somewhat stylized. You did better than I did the first time!

Sorry to upset you with my productivity. Blame my husband for being out of town for a month, good weather and a good back! I am making up for my dismal showing in January and February!

Tonight I am sorry I did another sketch! This time of little Karen. Not a great likeness and I made her a little younger but here is my effort.

In my sketchbook 6b pencil

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 658
Points 10,625
karend84 wrote
on 24 Apr 2014 7:53 AM

Jen your sunbathing gnome is so fun.  He's looking great.

Geri thanks for your kind words on my landscapes.  Great job on the lamps.  A difficult subject.  

Jen little me looks great. You got my chubby legs.  The coat and hat are great.  You actually got the right age I'm about  a year and half. Great job with a old reference photo that isn't very clear.   

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,805
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Apr 2014 9:44 PM

Worked some more on the sunbathing gnome today despite wild weather and thunderstorm warnings all day. Turned into a beautiful evening though.

He got his other leg on and some other body work and then I pressed a leaf into the clay to make his fig leaf! I will attach it after it fires so I can paint both sides.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,475
Points 23,635
Berkenstock wrote
on 25 Apr 2014 12:27 AM

I don't know anything about Gnome anatomy but do they all require such big leaves.:o

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,805
Turps245 wrote
on 25 Apr 2014 1:47 AM

LOL, Geri, I think the leaf looks bigger because it is closer to the camera! But those gnomes pack quite a punch!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 10 of 15 (214 items) « First ...  < Previous  8 9 10 11 12  Next >  ... Last » | RSS