ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 42 - APRIL, 2014

This post has 213 Replies | 15 Followers rated by 6 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 4 Apr 2014 1:59 AM

Karen, very nice ref. photos for april. I'm sure I will find something to paint, time permiting.

Your under painting in oil looks like a good start. I have never tried oils yet, always wanted to. Maybe you can share some details of your class with me.

What medium did you use for the bike trail?  Good start!

Good sketch of your husband, will you take this farther and paint him in oil?

Geri, your portrait comes out very nice on the black background. Didn't have time to compare it to the ref. photo, so it looks very good to me. I can tell the texture of the paper could be difficult to handle.

Sarah, your dark a little threatening look on the water, flooding the country reminds me of last years dramatic flooding over here. Hope this year nobody will have to go  through this.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 856
Points 19,380
Hearadh wrote
on 4 Apr 2014 2:38 AM

Hello Karen,

good start...it is the traditional way to begin an oil painting. Looking forward to seeing the end product.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 4 Apr 2014 7:26 AM

Karen, very nice to see your under painting. The light looks good in this. I have never tried to work in oils so it will be interesting to see this develop while you take your course.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 4 Apr 2014 9:40 AM

Claudia welcome back.  I look forward to seeing your hand painted eggs.  Thank you for your comments.  The bike trail is oil on 9x12 canvas paper.  I will eventually try Bob in oil.  Oils are so versatile if you try them you'll get hooked. 

Sarah thank you for your comment.  I enjoyed working out the values without worrying about color.

Bonnie thank you for your comments.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 5 Apr 2014 1:07 PM

I started to add color.  I couldn't wait for class next week to play with it so I hope I'm going in the right direction.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 856
Points 19,380
Hearadh wrote
on 5 Apr 2014 2:42 PM

Hello Karen,

I can understand your impatience, it looks fine so far but will wait until it is 'finished' before commenting. What size is it and are you using 'real' oils or water based?

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 5 Apr 2014 3:08 PM

Sarah it is a 9x12 canvas panel.  Real oil.  Mostly Windsor newton.  Medium is lindseed and turp.  Underpainting burnt umber thinned with turp

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 5 Apr 2014 10:38 PM

Karen are you using layers of thin glazes to paint this?  Just curious.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 6 Apr 2014 2:12 AM

Geri I painted the color over a dry underpainting.  So far one layer of wet in wet color.  I plan to continue adding color in sections.  If I need to add more color over what I have placed I have to make it fatter but I don't think that will be a glaze.  Sarah Or jen any help?  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 856
Points 19,380
Hearadh wrote
on 6 Apr 2014 3:47 AM

Hello Karen,

with oils it depends on your tutor's way of teaching. Your first  step was traditional...whether you realised it or not you were painting tonally (values) but in your second you appeared to be painting textures and using more colours.

Fat over lean (underpainting) is the norm and the whole is brought together  by applying a final glaze which will make it harmonious. . It depends whether you want to give the illusion of texture with smooth brushwork or apply painterly textures  (which casts shadows if very fat) )   and again it depends on the subject.  Personally I like to have both in a painting (mine are very much larger than yours)...a smooth area, to give the eye a 'rest' and thickly applied paint to simulate texture for contrast..

However, I have no idea what your tutor has in mind step by step and he/she may be very pleased with what you have done so far....I can only say that perhaps I would have experimented on another similar underpainting and have waited for the next session.

I hope I have been of help...Jen will probably be adding her pennyworth too...let's hope we agree and you don't get confused!!!!!!.

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 6 Apr 2014 8:55 AM

Sarah thank you for the explanation.  If I have time I will do another underpainting before class and use a larger canvas.  The material list was a 9x12 but everyone had larger.  John (the instructor) said he had the smaller size on the list so beginners could start small.  It is an ongoing workshop so everyone is at different stages.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 48
Points 1,420
Paul Darby wrote
on 6 Apr 2014 11:56 AM

After a long cold winter Easter can warm the heart.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 6 Apr 2014 12:40 PM

Hi Paul and welcome to the group.  Very nice abstract of Easter eggs.  What medium did you use?   If you would like comments please add cc's welcome to your signature line.  I llok forward to seeing more of your work

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,595
Turps245 wrote
on 6 Apr 2014 2:12 PM

Karen, it looks like you are headed in the right  direction and it all looks good. For my two penny worth I agree with what Sarah has said about layering etc.  As you are taking this instruction to learn something new I would slow down now and see where your instructor wants you to go next. Each step in the traditional method is there for a reason. 

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,595
Turps245 wrote
on 6 Apr 2014 2:15 PM

Paul, hello we haven't seen you in a while. Nice take on the Easter eggs and harmonious colours. What medium? Hope to see you back again.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Page 3 of 15 (214 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS