ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 42 - APRIL, 2014

This post has 212 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 6 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,043
Points 22,360
Hearadh wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 7:06 AM

Hello to Karen, Nealey and Jen.

The water (as it was actually in front of me) was swirling around at speed so it would feel unsettling as there are very few straight lines to calm the eye down.No warm colour was used either.

Jen...I live at the top of a hill. the river Welland flows in the valley. Before the local council drained the water meadows near the town bridge they were regularly flooded to a depth of four  feet which meant the adjoining lower level premises were always flooded. The town was actually an inland port at one time...the river was tidal.  I am always amazed at the strength and power of water at speed.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 7:49 AM

Sarah, your river has a moody characteristic. It must be early morning or late evening. It is all about the water, which is what we are also concerned with this spring. Lovely colours.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 717
Points 11,745
karend84 wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 1:07 PM

I did a little work on the bike trail today before work.  Tried a looser  style.  Anyone else working on something?

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 3:15 PM

Karen, nice start on the bike trail. All those greens and trees are always a challenge. I liked this reference too. So far I am still working in clay but will probably get down to painting again soon. There are several I want to do but time sure does fly! Hopefully everyone will be feeling better this month.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 6:15 PM

Here is my version of Bob.  Cp on Strathmore Gray Scale paper 9x12.  You may not recognize him but this is the best portrait I have done to date.The paper is black but I was taking this inside because of the down pour out side and picked up a little flare.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 6:30 PM

Gerri, I agree this is your best portrait and a wonderful portrait. You got a good likeness  and very effective on the black paper!

The March Gallery is up!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 7:23 PM

Karen, great start on you bike trail. Nice soft green foliage.

Geri, wonderful portrait of Bob. Yes, it is your best so far. The effect of the pc on the black paper is very good.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 717
Points 11,745
karend84 wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 8:37 PM

Jen and Bonnie thank you for your comment on the Bike path.  I'm not happy with the greens but will play with it some more.  Jen I'm looking forward to the clay Bunny.  I hope you have enough clay.

Geri good job on Bob.  I love the black paper.   This was not an easy one and the angle and lighting make it all the more difficult.  I think if you darken the inside bottom of right eye and lower his top lip to give more mustache it may add to the likeness.  You really got close on his eye color.  They are a beautiful blue.  Great job Geri.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 11:37 PM

Jen, Bonnie ,and Karen thank you for your comments. They are all appreciated.  I agree that there is some room for improvement especially around the mouth.  I have run into the problem of the surface of the paper is overworked and won't take any more color.  Also the actual picture does not look that splotchy.  I will try and get a better photo when the weather clears.

Just curious Karen did you show it to Bob and if so what did he say??  Good or bad won't hurt my feelings

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 11:40 PM

The bike trail is coming right along.  Looks more impressionistic than you  normally paint.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 11:43 PM

Karen I see you tried Bob too.  You had trouble with the creases under his eyes too.  Hard to do and not bet them too black.  Good try.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 11:52 PM

Sarah great little WC of the bridge and river.  Nice and free.  A little darker than you normally work.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 717
Points 11,745
karend84 wrote
on 3 Apr 2014 1:58 AM

I did show it to Bob.  He was really excited to know someone chose his picture to paint.  He thought it was wonderful. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 717
Points 11,745
karend84 wrote
on 3 Apr 2014 2:18 AM

Geri thanks for the comments.  I am still trying to find my style.  Its great to experiment.

I agree the lines under Bobs eyes are too dark.  I have tried to sketch Bob from life and can't seem to get it.  This was my first try from a picture without using grids.  Portraits are not so easy.  The slightest line too light or dark or a little off and it is someone else.  His was the first face I tried to sketch and I'm not sure it was human.  At least now it has some likeness.   I guess it comes down to practice, practice, practice.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 717
Points 11,745
karend84 wrote
on 3 Apr 2014 10:51 PM

Went to my first oil painting class tonight.  He teaches to start with an underpainting.  This is the start of the pic with the sun under the trees in my golf couse pic.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 80
Page 2 of 15 (213 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS