How does it look

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 145

I'm new to this. I know it's not perfect yet, but my hopes are for it to become close to it. So if there is any help to make this piece look better and more realistic.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
cwstaceys wrote
on 1 Apr 2014 1:55 PM

I think it's great. But I what to question why are you seeking perfection? I am also fairly new to the art world, but I've already learned that there is no perfection in art, there is only what you like. If you are enjoying your drawings, having fun learning art, and like sharing your art with friends and family. That to me is good enough. I have learned a lot since I started painting about a year ago from Jerry Yarnell, I am a member of his online school. He talks a lot about learning the rules of "negative space", and I hear a lot of artists talking about it, maybe you might what to learn about that, to help you be a more realistic in your drawings. Just don't stop having fun in your seek of perfection in your art. Thanks, I hope I helped, even in a small way. 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 145
on 1 Apr 2014 5:16 PM

Thanks a lot! That was very inspirational and it made me think about my work again. My artwork and drawings mean a lot to me, they're the best part of me. My theory is to not be perfect but to be good enough to be noticed. I hope to continue art in the future. My dream is to become one of the best. The art I do now is what I want to look to realistic. I have been taught the rules of negative space and could try to incorporate it. So thank you so much, you helped a lot.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 3 Apr 2014 5:08 PM

I really like how you drew the sweater, But I feel like the jacket on the other arm could use more depth, as in kind of darken the colors a bit, but I do honestly feel like this is a very good piece. Keep drawing!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 195
on 4 Apr 2014 1:46 PM

the palm on the front hand is too short, I understand that the sweater is covering it but you will want to give the impression of it underneath, the most noticeable part being the thumb, bring it back a bit....and I agree that the camo hoodie is a bit flat, add some shading on the bottom and a highlight on the top and a fold or two in the fabric....you did a very good job on the fingers being interlaced (hands are one of the hardest things to draw you know) although I would tone down the fingernails a bit...just take and eraser and kind of smudge it just a bit down towards the finger itself. Giving a little more shading on the hands and a higher contrast in general always helps a graphite piece...(that's why they use all those fancy pencils...me personally, I just use ballpoint pen.)

You're a very good beginner artist and picked a very nice piece to draw. I know what it's like to want it perfect; I strive for realism in my work as well. If realism is your desire than remember it's all about the details.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 335
Points 4,045
on 4 Apr 2014 3:11 PM

Hands are not easy to do, or at least, that is what I find. I like one of the comments...it is your art and I actually feel that the symbolism is the most important thing here. I like it very much

Margs Haslewood was born in Johannesburg, South Africa and spent most of the time doing things that I had to do. In 1998 I moved to Cape Town and started painting and sculpture 5 years ago.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 145
on 4 Apr 2014 5:08 PM

How do you suggest fixing the problem with the folds in the camo hoodie's sleeve? I put some shading it, but that doesn't look quite right, any ideas?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 590
Points 5,140
on 5 Apr 2014 6:47 PM

Drawing—

Let me make a few suggestions:

Do not worry about perfection in the classical sense. You should be striving, now and throughout your life, to make all you can out of the talent you have. At this point, that means learning the basic principles of drawing so you will be able to draw what you see. This is a basic skill that will enable you to record your thoughts, ideas and impressions about the world around you. 

Learn how to draw what you see. When you have a good idea like the one you have posted, take a photo of friends hands. Draw from your photo. Get used to comparing sizes and proportions as you draw. Draw from things around you. Begin by sketching in the entire picture lightly. Be aware of the tools you should be using. Become familiar with the kneaded eraser and how it can work for you throughout the drawing process.

I continue to recommend buying a couple of good books on drawing. Study them and work with them. Don't settle for second best. You learn to draw by drawing.

Paul

http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 165
516 wrote
on 3 May 2014 10:16 PM

Hi,

I would just crop the sides a bit.  There is a lot of empty space on the sides -- in this case it makes the subject look smaller and less important.  Often times, when we see something that interests us, we zone in on it and ignore any empty space around it.  So if you make the drawing that way, it will suggest to the viewer that what they are seeing is important -- it will emphasize the fact that they are looking right at the joined hands. 

I wouldn't worry about making this drawing "perfect."  It is perfectly charming because of the parts that *aren't* perfectly drawn --  for example, it's hard to tell which fingers belong to which hand.  This is a good metaphor for the picture, since the theme is "best friends."  In other words, symbolically, the two people become entwined -- one in togetherness.  I think the flatness of the drawing is nice because it draws attention to patterns in the sleeves. This gives it a nice graphic, decorative quality.

Sometimes it is the imperfections in a drawing that make it very interesting.  We are used to seeing real things.  Therefore, when we look at a drawing that looks perfectly real, we don't always spend too much time looking at it (unless, of course, there is some other element that is very interesting).  Often, when we see something that is not quite real, we are more strongly compelled to take a closer look.  This is a trick that many great artists have used.

There is a documentary, "Waiting for Hockney," in which an artist spends TEN YEARS on one drawing, trying to make it perfect and astoundingly impressive... he draws every tiny detail perfectly, and in the end... (maybe I shouldn't give the ending away?)...

Great work!  I think It's sweet and charming and perfectly expresses the feeling youthful friendship.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS