Artificial studio lights.

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 21,350
brstam wrote
on 19 Jul 2009 1:22 PM

Generally, I paint only during the daylight - however, once in a while I would like to do some work at night.....what are the thoughts on studio lighting, etc?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,049
Points 15,060
j.b2 wrote
on 20 Jul 2009 2:17 PM

I use the day light compact floressence bulbs with an aluminum reflector when painting after dark.

Day light is the key or they are too yellow...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,467,655
Karyn wrote
on 24 Jul 2009 9:51 AM

I use a combination of both warm and cool sources when I paint at night.  I do use a daylight florescent, but I also use some incandescent.  I think it depends on your subject matter and the intent of your final piece. 

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 813
Points 16,900
Trusted Users
on 24 Jul 2009 10:18 AM

When painting from life, I prefer that my subject be lit with cool light - natural daylight or northlight.

It helps if my canvas or paper is lit with similar light so I can mix my colors correctly.

So, I use 5000 or so kelvin bulbs to light both my subject or painting surface. Those small daylight lamps that come on stand light my subject quite well. This means that the lights will be cooler while the shadows will be warmer in temperature.

www.loriwords.com

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
on 24 Jul 2009 10:41 AM

I paint a lot under artificial light for a number of reasons, not the least of which I like to paint when the world is quiet after dark. I used to mix incandescent and fluorescent lighting, but I prefer the large daylight fluorescents to get the best results. Blues end up a little too cool under warmer studio lighting when placed in natural daylight for my taste!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Laudesan wrote
on 29 Jul 2009 12:23 AM

I have 8 fluorescent tube on the ceiling all 65000K.  They are the daylight fluorescent tubes.  I paint during the day and at night, when the mood is there I have to create.

Cheers JJ

www.belvinhouseartstudio.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,975
Points 46,535
RAUL wrote
on 26 Oct 2009 10:22 PM

HELLO LORI
i´M PLANNING TO BUILD A STUDIO IN MY BACKYARD. COULD YOU HELP ME WITH THE LAYOUT, IN TERMS OF WHICH WIDOWS,WHERE, FACING WHIC DIRECTION, HOW HIGH,?  ANY SUGGESTION WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED. TKS

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
joearndt wrote
on 29 May 2014 7:21 AM

Very nice video... Described every application part of the LED Light....Pretty good to purchase  
https

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS