Would love some help

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 115
Leetsluvsrob wrote
on 18 Mar 2014 12:13 AM

Hi this is Leta , and I am brand new here.  I am a self taught painter, and have just begun using oils.  I have been painting from photographs that I like.  I have no idea what I am doing!  I would love some help with my work.  I really like to paint birds.  

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 995
ALatorre wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 10:53 PM

Awesome work! Bold choice in background color, but still works. The only thing I would suggest is that you should be aware of presentation, I am trying to figure out if there is a reflection of someone in a blue shirt in this photo of your piece, and is the drawer in the back of the painting, a real dresser... how you photograph your pieces is important if you are going to show your work electronically.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 115
Leetsluvsrob wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 12:08 PM

ALatorre:

Awesome work! Bold choice in background color, but still works. The only thing I would suggest is that you should be aware of presentation, I am trying to figure out if there is a reflection of someone in a blue shirt in this photo of your piece, and is the drawer in the back of the painting, a real dresser... how you photograph your pieces is important if you are going to show your work electronically.

thank you so much for the feedback!!! I have only recently started oil painting, and your help means a lot!!!  The dresser in the background is my husband's humidor.  Next time I will crop my photo to size.  Thanks again!!!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 195
on 3 Apr 2014 8:06 PM

very nice piece...that bold black on orange is beautiful. Awesome job on that wood too, looks perfect! On the critique end - the bird right foot middle claw could use to be straightened out or curved in the other direction...I'm sure the way you painted it was what it really looked like in the picture, but sometimes when things are painted/drawn they can look funny pose wise vs. picture. On the eye, if you are going for realism than maybe round it off a bit more, he looks a little angry >:[ and be sure to give it a reflection spot (maybe it has one though and I can't tell in the pic.)

You are very good for a self taught painter. I like drawing birds as well but boy those feathers whew hard work.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 115
Leetsluvsrob wrote
on 4 Apr 2014 12:03 AM

Thank you so much!!!! Your critique was just the type of help I was looking for!!! I sure appreciate your time and expertise!!! 

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 195
on 4 Apr 2014 12:59 AM

not a prob, I just found this site and so far I like it....I've been in real need of serious critiques lately and I also enjoy giving them. Can't wait to see more!

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 165
516 wrote
on 3 May 2014 11:05 PM

Hi,

I like that bird!!  It's a little hard to get a good look at the painting when it's sideways, but from what I can tell, the bird looks great to me.

I feel a little bit like a broken record, because I've said this about a couple other pictures tonight:  I think there is too much dead space on the sides of your painting.  

If you took a couple pieces of paper and placed them on the sides of the painting, forming a "V" shape around the bird and it's perch (by placing the paper an inch or two outside the bottom edges of the bird's perch to just inside the top corners of the canvas), I think you will notice that it gives the bird a more powerful appearance.  The bright orange color is nice, in my opinion, but the vastness of it is competing with the bird.  I think the "V" shape would emphasize the bird and it's intensity, and create some interesting angles that inversely echo the bird's perch (which is a nice color, by the way).

Once you found the angles that work, you could add them in with shading, color, texture, images... whatever you wanted.  If it were me, I would find the angles I liked, tape them off, and apply another, slightly darker coat of the orange paint to the outside of the tape... this would create a subtle line that wouldn't be extremely obvious, but would still work to break up the empty space a bit... but that's just my way of doing it...  there are many, many possibilities!

Any way, the bird is a beauty!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 115
Leetsluvsrob wrote
on 4 May 2014 11:03 AM

Thank you 516!!

You are extremely helpful!!! I am going to take your advise and run with it!!!! 

I appreciate your input!!!! 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS