The pain of creativity and art

This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 995
ALatorre wrote
on 4 Mar 2014 5:04 PM

A while back I read in passing, a line that discussed what it was to live the pain of painting. I couldn't get into the subject at the time due to being distracted by some other subject. But in retrospect, I wish I had read more. I am not sure what to think on this subject other then,  it is a feeling I am encountering prior to painting something. It is not a physical pain, such as I got oil paint all over my clothes, or I accidentally put the brush in my mouth bristles inward. No, it is a pain in the process of creativity. I thought maybe someone out there could enlighten, provide insight as to such a phenomena.

Open for discussion...

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
on 4 Mar 2014 6:37 PM

Good Evening ALatorre,

I believe I understand what you are referring to. I, too sometimes feel a type of "creativity pain" that begins right as I start the process of putting together all of the elements of a new piece of work in my head. I feel a little anxious and sometimes will even develop a wee headache from "thinking too hard", lol. I find that if I start to put the thoughts on paper (ie. sketching out the idea, making a materials list, etc.) the anxiety lessons and my creative ideas begin to flow easier as they actually begin to manifest themselves into a material thing rather than just an idea. Have I completely missed the mark here, or is this similar to what you were describing?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 995
ALatorre wrote
on 4 Mar 2014 8:29 PM

First of all thank you for responding. I think you are on to something here..the symptoms are definitely similar. The question I have is whether this is a common sensation that goes away with time and experience or is it something that arises when one is achieving the true meaning of creativity. I never felt anything like this till recently. pondering....

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 100
on 10 Mar 2014 3:10 PM

Sometimes just the angst of the white paper...

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 995
ALatorre wrote
on 12 Mar 2014 2:40 AM

that is a good possibility

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 235
RWMcRae wrote
on 21 Apr 2014 5:57 PM

I get a little tingle of fear every time I look at a blank canvas with palette knife in hand. I get another when I've stopped, but I can tell something is off about the painting and I just can't figure out what it is.

I'm convinced it happens to people who are perfectionists - who have a high opinion and high standards for their own work. Each abstract work is a chance to bomb spectacularly without being able to figure out WHY.

Also, paint is expensive. No one wants to waste that stuff. lol

Art: (n) Long periods of staring at a canvas, interrupted by frantic bouts of activity followed by swearing.

The Arthouse

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS