ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 41- MARCH, 2014

This post has 165 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,006
Points 21,740
Hearadh wrote
on 29 Mar 2014 1:26 PM

Hello Bonnie,

no I didn't get around to doing a painting of this...I had been there three times before (holiday) but this timeI it was  a plein air botanical painting course...painted in the gardens of the Hotel where we had been given a studio to work in if we felt like it. I made many sketches and a few paintings but I learned a lot. Still prefer to catch the essence rather than the perfect flower study.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 30 Mar 2014 10:09 AM

Well I managed to get one drawing done before the end of the Month. Sorry Jen, I just got too busy this month. There are a couple more I would like to try but the months are just to short or I'm just to slow. Here is my try of the lock. It was much more challenging than I thought and a real challenge for me because I always like to go larger and this had such small detail work. I did enjoy it. I am going to print it out and try adding a skeleton key and maybe some cp colour. It is pencil on drawing paper. The paper was 9x12 but I cropped it in the computer so am not sure what the size is maybe 6x8. The page was a little larger than my scanner and caused a shadow on the one side.  

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,578
Points 25,335
Berkenstock wrote
on 30 Mar 2014 12:19 PM

Bonnie you and Nealy are both getting pretty handy with your pencils.  Great job.  I don't think that you need to add the key because both keys for the lock are already in the lock. Again this is very nice.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,959
Points 49,695
Turps245 wrote
on 30 Mar 2014 7:36 PM

Bonnie, I agree you and Nealey have shown excellent skill at drawing this lock. I am so glad you both had a go at  it. You have captured the intricate detail beautifully.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 30 Mar 2014 7:59 PM

Thank you Geri and Jen for your nice comments. Geri, I didn't realize that the key was in the lock. Is it the part that looks like little handles or pulls?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,578
Points 25,335
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Mar 2014 12:12 AM

Yes Bonnie those are the keys.  This lock was made so that two people one with each key had to be present to open the lock.  Much like the way they arm missals on submarines today

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,006
Points 21,740
Hearadh wrote
on 31 Mar 2014 3:52 AM

Hello Jen,

just want to thank you for all the effort you have put into hosting this month's Challenge.

I have enjoyed what I attempted and must say the rest of the work uploaded is well done and interesting to look at.  Wish there was more to see although I know some  of the group have had health problems. My new PC has also been a pain and was almost terminal at one point!

Looking forward to K's input.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 702
Points 11,470
karend84 wrote
on 31 Mar 2014 3:52 PM

Jen Thank you for all your had work and wonderful job Hosting the March challenge.  Your choice of pics for inspiration were wonderful and I hope when I get some time to go back and do some.  I wish March would have allowed me to participate more.  I would also like to thank you for the help on the April Challenge.  

I posted the April challenge a day early since I was off today and wanted to take my time and not rush.

I hope everyone will take a look and find some inspiration from the photos.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 702
Points 11,470
karend84 wrote
on 31 Mar 2014 4:19 PM

Nealy your lively sketch of the flute player is really well done.

Sarah your sketch of the market is fantastic.  

Bonnie the detail of your locks is fabulous.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Mar 2014 6:49 PM

Thank you Karen for your nice comments on my lock.

Jen, thank you so much for hosting the March Challenge. I can hardly believe it is over already. There are a couple more photos I would have liked to try. Your inspirational photo's were great touching on so many areas to create works of art. Looking forward to seeing your finished gnome, he was really something. Thanks again.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 624
Points 10,050
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Mar 2014 8:35 PM

Thank you Jen, Geri, Bonnie & Karen for looking at my flutist scribble.  I would like to "do" him again in another medium sometime.  It hasn't been a very good month for me.  So sorry Jen that I didn't contribute more.  Your photos are inspirational & there are many more of them I'm like to play with.  Thank you for being a good host!

Bonnie ~ I'm glad you tried the locks!  It was hard to get all the little parts in correctly, wasn't it?!?!  You did a good job.  Yes

Sarah ~ I'm happy you shared your WC & Ink of the Madeira market.  I like your sketchbook works & you did capture the essence of the scene.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,959
Points 49,695
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Mar 2014 9:03 PM

Thanks everyone for a great month!  It was sad so many of the group were having health problems this month and some were just over worked. Hopefully you will all feel better soon and get inspired to try some f Karen's references or come back and try any of the challenges you have missed.  If nothing else look at art, read about art or just look around at beautiful sunsets and all the new life popping out everywhere! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 702
Points 11,470
karend84 wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 9:15 PM

Jen great job putting together the Gallery.  Thanks for hosting this Month.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 22 May 2014 6:14 PM

Sorry...was going to c/c on the current month when I discovered I had not fin. going over these.

Jen - LOVE your still life: the colors, comp., reflection, mood. All of it. Your boat ptg. framed yet? - looked done. Hackey sacks are very dramatic. Rose is intense - quite a change from your boat so that's good to switch it up. Your clay gnome - will the stone pieces stay when fired? Did you update with your clay creations all glazed and in the garden or wherever? Skater has nice tones. Road market has a feel to it that is approp. for your subj.; had wished to see a bit more in shadows on ground but I loved the grassy field text. and the BG & sky - all works together with your colors well.

Thanks so all who had c/c on my Cezanne still life version. Apprec. your time in doing so!

Sarah - Love the boat ptg. comp.. The pelican and nest are very sensitively done, each in diff. ways though.  Your abstract cacti is unique - like the contrast and comp. (no matter what direction).  Your pen/ink sketch captures a slice of life quite well, which I know is not that chall. for you, but it certainly is for me and many others so my hat's off to you.

Karen - Your reflections in your w/c are nice, and esp. like the very fluid looking one on R. The BG looks soft and bit Impressionistic. I recall you don't usually do w/c so this was a nice break for you to venture into it.

Claudia - Vacation studio...wow, how nice. What a heavenly view for you. Great start on your egg temp window.

Ruthie - Both works were very expressive! Super job.

Geri - Super stippling! Your cherries - yes, was best to leave it alone; it was just right and the stems were packed with colors for such a tiny area...awesome.

Nealey - Your Indian was done so well with the scribbling tech.. The contrast was pushed dark in a couple key areas of the locks (yes, pun intended), which helped to make this not only detailed but eye catching.

Chrechat39 - Hope you show us your work done from your Africa visit. Apprec. your sharing your oil pastel here.

Bonnie - Lovely detail! Did you go ahead with your exper. by adding later? Would be interesting to see the results. This subj. looked esp. tricky but you and Nealey handled the chall. well.

Jen - Wish I could have been around more this month, but you did a fabulous job getting this put together.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 624
Points 10,050
NealeyPea wrote
on 23 May 2014 3:01 PM

Kim ~ Thankyou for going back and commenting on all the March artwork, including mine!  And I DID like SO MUCH your WC take on the Cezanne with the (your) child.  Hope you can do more!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Page 11 of 12 (166 items) « First ...  < Previous  8 9 10 11 12  Next > | RSS