ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 41- MARCH, 2014

This post has 165 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,395
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 5:28 PM

Sarah,  sorry you are still having computer troubles. I am glad you tried this reference. I like the abstract look to this and which ever way up you put it it works well.

Claudia, thanks again for being the "middle man" for Sarah. I hope you can find time to do something this month but I know life sometimes gets in the way! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 6:03 PM

Jen, sorry to have been away so long. I told my husband's daughter who is getting married this summer that I would try and make her cake. So have been practicing and this month my daughter volunteered me to make her stepdaughters wedding cake. I was not really prepared and spent a lot of time on learning how to do it. Talk about stress, I am just getting over it. I will post the results in the gallery.

Jen, you have produced lots of lovely work this month. Good for you in trying the greys with the limited palette by Richard Robinson. I really liked the colours you got with this method and you captured some nice light in this boat piece. Your quickie rose is bright and cheerful just what the folks in the north need right now. The sketch of the skater has good movement in her skirt and feet. She is nicely shaped. Love the bright colours in the road market, it has a lovely festive feel and you captured the heat of the day. The haki sacs have fantastic colours and really good detail on the leather. Nice sketch of the angel, he looks maybe a little older and having a nap. Your little Rembrant is coming along beautifully. You have got so many lovely details and it is great to see him immerge from the clay. I love that you showed us all the steps in his progress. Can't wait to see more of this fellow.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 6:27 PM

Marsha, your drawing of the pair of antique skates is well done. The use of the Strathmore wc paper with the graphite  was a good idea, resulted in great texture for the old leather of the skates. Love the buckles and laces.

Claudia, great to see that you set up a studio on your vacation, It looks like a wonderful place for a holiday and your doing some great work there.

Nealey, so sorry to hear of your problems. I hope things are improving and that you are feeling better now. Wonderful graphite and charcoal of the locks. I started sketching this and it is very difficult, with so much detail.  It looks like metal, this is very well done.

Sarah, your white tea pot is great. I love the simplicity you created with this. It has lots of subtle colours in all the right places. Very nice. Your boat with the bridge captures your eye and takes you through the painting with the blue in the background behind the bridge and on the boat. It is a nice blue colour with the brown. The stork is great. Love the sky and agree with Jen that his wings really have lift. Your sparrows nest is lovey with the softness of the moss. I see some nests in the trees just waiting for the sparrows to return. Love your cactus painting. The colours are wonderful and it does work turned on its side. The pointy spikes work well with the burst of colour,  Love it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 7:43 PM

Kim, I remember this Cezanne's still life, you daughter is so cute, she is having a peak  at all the goodies. The cherries are great. I can't believe you got all that detail in a 5x7.

Karen, your first watercolour turned out well. The water is great with the reflections and really looks like water.  Very nice light and great shapes on the birds. Good for you to try a new medium.

Ruthie, wonderful to see your work posted in the challenge. Great work with the blue tree and orange flowers, and the sea weed is also great with lots of movement and flow as it would be in the water. You have done a great job with the yopu paper. Will be looking forward to seeing more of your lovely work.

Crechat, welcome to the challenge. Your oil pastels of the marbles has good reflections of the marble colours. I really like the colours in this one.  I hope your having a great holiday in Africa and maybe we will see some of your work from there when you return.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,588
Points 25,565
Berkenstock wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 10:38 PM

I tried to do the cherub in stipple ink drawing.  It has some issues but I am fairly satisfied.  Micron pens on Bristol 5X7.  My old camera gave up the ghost and I am trying to learn the new one it may take me awhile.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,395
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 1:02 AM

Bonnie,  that was a lot of catching up! Thank you for your comments on all my stuff!  You have been a very busy lady! 

Gerri, I think you nailed the little fella. You do such good work with pens.  He might just need a line under his ball before he rolls away! :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 7:35 AM

Geri, your cherub is great. Very good idea to do it as a stipple ink drawing, works well in creating the texture of the cherub.  You got some nice dark values and you have captured the baby chubbiness. Nicely done.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,588
Points 25,565
Berkenstock wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 10:01 AM

Turps245:
 He might just need a line under his ball before he rolls away! :)

Jen he is supposed  to be floating.  I ran out of room and then the photo cut part of the shadow off but if you look you can see part of it.  His name is MY GUARDIAN and is going over the head of our bed.

Bonnie thank both you and Jen for the kind words.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 719
Points 11,770
karend84 wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 10:30 AM

Bonnie thanks for your comments on my watercolour attempt. I i have played a little with watercolour pencils and watercolour before but haven't become comfortable yet. 

Sarah your cactus turned out great.  

Geri your guardian angle is wonderful. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 648
Points 10,425
NealeyPea wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 8:18 PM

Jen, I'm loving your clay modelling of the "artist gnome".  Are those glass pieces embedded in the stand?  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Sarah, Your 2 WCs are good - of course!  I really like the sparrow's nest.  Makes me wish for Spring-like weather.  It's still been snowing on & off all week here.

Geri, nice stipple drawing of the angel.  Good darks, as someone else? mentioned.  He deserves to be framed.  Also thanks for your kind words re: my LOCKS drawing.  I had alot of fun doing that.

Bonnie, Your wedding cake posted in Chatter is wonderful with a GREAT JOB on those roses!

I haven't done ANYTHING in last 3 days because my glasses touch the line of stitches & the swelling under my eye. Can't read, draw or sew...grumble grumble.  It's very gruesome right now - looks like I got knocked out.  I pass a mirror & scare myself!!  But beggining to feel better  - thanks for the good wishes.Wink

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,395
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 11:11 PM

Gerri, Okay a floating angle is acceptable I guess!

Nealey, Good to hear from you and thanks for the good words. I hope you are back on the ball soon. I am sure you will take on a colourful turn before you have finished! Now I would go nuts if I couldn't paint or read or see at all! Hope your eyes and cuts recover soon and the sun comes out and smiles on you.

Well at the risk of boring you all to death here is my gnome today. I didn't do a lot you can see but I cleaned him up and refined him and added a box of WC for him to paint with. Hopefully I can find a wee paint brush for him. I will add that after he has been glazed and fired a second time. If he makes it that far! I see one more thing but then I will just leave him to dry.

I need to fix that seam.

He is missing a forehead but then he is a gnome so who knows!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,395
Turps245 wrote
on 25 Mar 2014 12:49 AM

I thought I would just add this photo of the still life I did of the reference . I did it from life several years ago and I just wanted to encourage some of you to try it. I probably could do better now as it is not too accurate.  So how about it!

it is oil 12 x 36 I think.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 25 Mar 2014 8:06 PM

Jen, your gnome is shaping up really nicely. I like that he is really settled on his mushroom. He has a relaxed look about him. Also love his curly mustache. He is so cute, I wish I could take him home with me. Your still life is wonderful, great colours and the light from the window in the foreground adds another aspect to the painting. It has a nice clean look, nicely done.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,395
Turps245 wrote
on 26 Mar 2014 12:14 AM

Bonnie, Thanks. I hope he is settled in! I am thinking maybe I should lift the back of his smock and glue his bottom down firmer! He has a bit of unsupported overhang! :o

I wish more people would just jump out of their comfort zone and try some of these odd photos.

Marsha, hope you are feeling better.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,588
Points 25,565
Berkenstock wrote
on 26 Mar 2014 7:15 PM

Jen I hurried and got a little study of the cherries done.  The drawing of the cherries themselves could have been improved but the wife likes it. 

WC on fabriano 90 # paper aprox..10x6

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Page 9 of 12 (166 items) « First ...  < Previous  7 8 9 10 11  Next >  ... Last » | RSS