ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 41- MARCH, 2014

This post has 165 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 11:00 AM

Jen, it doesn't appear that you have much to go on this - SO nice!!! It reminds me of a ptg. that I have on my wall by an unknown artist - I'm not into boats but I have it because I love the subtle colors. Yours has this same effect - subtle but very rich.

Marsha, some great detail there. You're off and running this month!

Sarah, I just fin. some blueberry tea when I saw this by you. Lovely warmth to your colors which is appropriate for the subj..

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 11:46 AM

Had done this for a diff. challenge before, but it may be approp. here (inc. cherries) - changed Cezanne's still life to inc. my daughter. C's art below for viewing change. Still have one of last month's ref. photo that's tugging at me, so I'll try to catch up with this month's pics. later.

Above approx. 5x7 watercolor (Colors are a bit brighter/more contrast in my actual ptg. but my computer is fussing now.)

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 1:33 PM

Sarah, nice little WC white on white. Well done.

Kim, thank you for the nice compliment on the boat. It has been a real struggle as it is outside my comfort zone but good for learning.

i like you version of the painting. It is small and I know small faces are hard so well done getting your beautiful daughter in. You did a great job of reproducing the colours and feel of the original. 

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 8 Mar 2014 9:55 PM

Well where are you all?

Today I fought my boat. this idea of broken colour with the same value and wet paint has been a new concept and so it is a struggle. I think I have fallen short and made the water too bright and not the same value as the rest.  The ropes and tow path proved difficult too. It is certainly a learning experience. It probably would have been easier to copy his! Oh well! Here is where I am today.

Then to counter or change my mood I did a quick 4x4 to make me feel better before I left.

Still very wet.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 919
Points 20,325
Hearadh wrote
on 9 Mar 2014 4:08 AM

Hello Jen,

I am alive and well!   Have finished a painting but haven't managed to find the time to upload it...so complicated with this new PC.

So, you floated your boat...pleasant outcome but I preferred the 'original' rose you did...much lighter in handling of the paint.

Sarah

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 919
Points 20,325
Hearadh wrote
on 9 Mar 2014 8:52 AM

This should be 6.5" x 3.5" but I am just pleased that I have uploaded it!!

Not supposed to be photorealistic. Water colour on  Bockingford rough. If enlarged to correct measurements the browns would be more prominent.

Sarah

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,475
Points 23,665
Berkenstock wrote
on 9 Mar 2014 1:15 PM

Jen you sure have been busy this month.  Your drawing of the boat by the old shed is well done nice contrast.  Maybe a little darker on the building would make the boat stick out more but well done.  Your drawing of your mum and you I bet was neat to do and such daring beach wear too.  The painting of the boat at the lock I think is well done.  I think you are kicking yourself for nothing especially if it is a new technique you are trying. By the way the water looks great leave it that way.

Marsha your cherub is a cutie   It looks like it setting on your bedpost watching over you as you sleep.  Your skates are great.  The only thing I would add would be some more darks where the two overlap so that there was more separation.

Susan love the color in your cherries.  It just jumps out and grabs your attention.  It makes the painting.

Charlie  Great to see you posting again.  You did a wonderful job painting the tree.  I think if you would have moved it over to the left a tad the composition would have been better because it wouldn't be so centered.  I know I am just being picky.

Claudia nice use of color in your cherries too.  You took a simple composition and made it interesting by the way you used so many different colors.  I see you are getting more to the WC in your style.  One of these days we will have you changed you over.  The elephant is well drawn.  I think the use of pink was a little over done but that is my personal opinion and others may not agree.

Sarha  the little WC of the tea pot is very nice.  I see you had a little trouble with the ellipse on the pots bottom but don't we all.  The other WC of the boat turned out well.  Hope you get the new PC figured out they can be frustrating.

Well I think I am cought up.  Sorry if I missed anyone.

Kim I did miss one.  The charming painting of your daughter looking over the edge of the table.  It improves the composition and you done well with the WC too.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,511
Points 51,595
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 9 Mar 2014 3:25 PM

Geri, thank you.  I think your are right about the tree being in the center, off center would have been better.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
OmegaWolf wrote
on 9 Mar 2014 8:31 PM

I have to say, Susan, your cherries are my favorite in this forum. Will be posting my two entries tomorrow, when it is daylight and better for pictures :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,335
NealeyPea wrote
on 9 Mar 2014 9:22 PM

Hello all and hello March!  I just typed up comments on all the work done so far this month and.....POOF   it disappeared .  I could cry; don't have the gumption to try again.  My computer is going to sail out the door here!!!

I love all the art that you are doing.  I have been working on a drawing all week, off and on.  Thought I'd post tonight but  It's not quite done with me yet...maybe tomorrow..

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Mar 2014 11:05 PM

Sarah, Nice work on the boat. I like the way you minimized the junk on the side of the tow path. I didn't really know what to do with it. Good to see it with the bridge too.

I agree about my rose but I still have some work to do on it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Mar 2014 11:12 PM

Gerri, Thank you. I am just wanting to get it right but you are probably right I am whipping myself. Hope to see some of your work this month too.

Nealey, that has happened to me too and it is soooo annoying. We appreciate you words anyway and look forward to seeing your work soon.

Well tonight I managed to keep Jinx out and came up with this sketch of the skater. Still not quite right but it was fun to do.

In my Sketchbook pencil.

I think she is about to crash!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 919
Points 20,325
Hearadh wrote
on 10 Mar 2014 3:56 AM

Hello Geri, perceptive as ever...thank you.

Jen....thank you too, the original is more subtle in colour but heigh ho, still on that PC learning curve.

your drawing is coming along nicely........ no comments until you think you have finished.

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 11 Mar 2014 12:36 AM

Well a beautiful warm sunny day here today and we at the studio were on a roll,  lots of painting going on!   So where are you guys!

I finished fiddling with the boat and the rose but not much different so wont bore you with them and I started on the road market scene. I wanted to do it a bit abstract with bright colours, but easier said than done and here is where I am. Not abstract! :(

12 x 16 canvas  oil

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 658
Points 10,625
karend84 wrote
on 11 Mar 2014 9:56 AM

I will try to comment tomorrow.  My easle is full with 3oils in progress.  I tried watercolor to participate this month.  Well....I have a lot to learn about watercolor.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Page 5 of 12 (166 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS