ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 41- MARCH, 2014

This post has 164 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 6 Mar 2014 10:26 PM

Jen,  wow, this is so good, I tried a sketch and mine looked like clouds in the sky whereas yours in so real and beautifully done like an artist. Impressive asusanrae

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 6 Mar 2014 10:41 PM

Jen :  what a great sketch,   of your mum and you.... I remember doing your mum and dad as well as you on some challenges...   great job.    you really captured the moment

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,822
Points 46,970
Turps245 wrote
on 6 Mar 2014 10:46 PM

Thanks for all the good words on my sketch. Susan it takes PRACTICE! Just keep trying and you will get better and then a lot better but you have to do it to get better so let us see some! Just try one or two small sketches every day till the end of the challenge and you will be surprised how quickly you see progress.

The ice has gone and I got to the studio. The sun is warm! Freedom!!!

Okay today I struggled. the idea of broken colour looked fairly straight forward when Richard Robinson did it but like Susan seeing and doing are two different things! He wanted us to make a dark ,medium and light grey by mixing red, blue and a bit of yellow ochre. Then add white  and you use this to grey down your colours to keep everything the same value to unify the painting, then lay patches of colour on top in interesting shapes. At least I think that is what he was saying! I used a different reference which also didn't help me. I can't do anything simply! So I started out with all the darks. then I tried colour. I pushed the bridge back so it was more in the background. In the end I used the pallete knife as I could not get the paint to stick on top of itself. I think I ended up with mud. I still have a way to go.So here is where I am today.

11x14 canvas Oil

I have to put in the ropes and such which is why the land side of the boat looks odd and the other side is just odd!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,822
Points 46,970
Turps245 wrote
on 6 Mar 2014 10:55 PM

Marsha, looks like we crossed. Thanks so much. Yes I use the old photos a lot as I have several albums of them that Howard scanned onto the computer.The black and white photos make make interesting sketches

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 6 Mar 2014 11:17 PM

Jen you are off to the races again,   great oil beginning   My hat is off to you ... that is something I've yet to even attempt...  good job.    also I like your old photos.   keep it up..

I did a piece  here that is kind of a renewal,  old pair of antique skates,  off with the old and on with the new.   I realize it isn't one of the photos but it is a renewal of sorts.  

4 x 5 graphite Strathmore wc paper 140 lb not.     ( wanted to  use the texture of the paper)  I'm still playing with it.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,822
Points 46,970
Turps245 wrote
on 6 Mar 2014 11:30 PM

Marsha, no it doesn't have to be a reference and it is perfect for the theme. It is a great sketch of the old time ice skates. You have captured the leather look, buckles and all the metal bits really well. You got a lot on a small piece of paper. Well done!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 613
Points 9,670
karend84 wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 1:34 AM

Jen It's great that Jinx is giving you some time.  The sketches are wonderful.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 613
Points 9,670
karend84 wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 1:38 AM

Marsha, fabulous graphite of the cherub.  I love his smile and sculpted hair.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 613
Points 9,670
karend84 wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 1:39 AM

Susan your cherries look so juicy.  Great job.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 613
Points 9,670
karend84 wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 1:43 AM

Alexandra it's so good to hear from you.  Happy to hear your business is going well.  Hope to see your beautiful art again when things settle down.  I really enjoyed seeing your style.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 613
Points 9,670
karend84 wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 1:46 AM

Claudia you have mastered so many different medium. Your cherries look fresh picked.  They make me hungry.  The elephant is fantastic.  his colors, the beautiful eye just wonderful.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 613
Points 9,670
karend84 wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 1:49 AM

Jen beautiful sketch of you and your Mother.  The boat is coming along wonderfully.  I love the loose strokes which I struggle with.  Not knowing much about boats you nailed this scene.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 613
Points 9,670
karend84 wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 1:55 AM

Marsha I love your skillfull drawing.  The skates are great.  Amazing detail.

Sorry for all the individual post but it is much easier when I get behind.  Staying with the something new theme I tried out some cake watercolor tonight.  I won't post since all I acomplished was a mess.  I'll try again.  Hopefully I will have something to post before the end of the month.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 827
Points 18,905
Hearadh wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 4:41 AM

A quickie.water colour

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,090
Points 49,315
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 7 Mar 2014 10:11 AM

Thank you, Kim.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Page 4 of 11 (165 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS