Anyone know anything about this oil painting?

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
eyvonnex wrote
on 16 Feb 2014 5:26 PM

Sorry in advanced if this is not the correct area to post this. Found this painting in a house we bought.  Anyone know anything about this painting? 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
on 28 Feb 2014 7:06 AM

Hey there.

It's not by any artist that's particularly well-known but it's worth deciphering the name and double-checking via google. I can't make out the name properly.

It's been painted with a palette knife and brushes and, if I'm honest, it's what would be referred to in the UK as "biscuit tin art" - mass-produced and a bit folksy. It was either done by an amateur or pumped out by an artist who sells dozens of them as an income. It's not a treasure but (if by an unknown artist) would probably fetch $100-$200 on a very good day.

Needless to say, if it turns out to be by a known artist the price will rise dramatically. Even good artists paint average pictures so DO check online after you've figured out the name...I once bought a pretty average Victorian painting at a flea market and it turned out to be a prep sketch by a British artist and it's now insured for £5,000. So do check that name!

Dave.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS