does liquin directly replace linseed oil

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
kateface wrote
on 14 Feb 2014 12:01 AM

When using liquin and the fat over lean concept in mind, do i mix it directly with a mineral spirit (solvent)?

Would it be the same ratio that is used when mixing linseed oil and mineral spirits? lesser amounts of liquin - more amounts of solvent in bottom layers, and more liquin - less solvent in top layers?

Is liquin essentially used in the same exact way as linseed oil?

Also, does anyone know the benefits of using liquin over linseed oil - is it less toxic at all?

Thanks!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 221
Points 4,000
Jay Babina wrote
on 14 Feb 2014 2:30 PM

I actually adressed the "fat over lean" in a post in 2012 here:

http://www.artistdaily.com/forums/p/28913/129467.aspx#129467

As far as the Liquin part: Yes, you can use liquin like you would use linseed oil. However, liquin is an alkyd which a complex chemical mix of drying agents and other chemicals. It's meant to speed up drying. The thicker Liquin is matt and the more liquid Liquin known as "fine detail" dries gloss. You can mix linseed oil with your paint and the next day it will still be workable. But with Liquin it will be hard. Also, yes you can mix a thinner with the Liquin but never add it to the jar. It will start to coagulate in the jar. Liquin is toxic. So is mineral spirits and a lot of things so just don't bury your face in it with fumes. I use the Liquin "fine detal" which is thinner (more fluid). Just a dab to a pile of paint. Cadmiums seem to take forever to dry and it helps with that.

Don't worry about all that fat over lean stuff. Read my previous post.

Why use a medium at all ???  to adjust the viscosity or transparency to your liking and to slow down or speed up drying  - or none of the above.

You can paint using it right out of the tube if you like as well or just thinning it a bit with terp or whatever.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS