on 10 Feb 2014 4:58 PM

I'm new to oil painting and would like an honest review

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 240
nlichte wrote
on 12 Feb 2014 10:12 PM

Really like you colors along the ground and around the lake. The lake seems a little off, it may be the perspective or just the shape but something looks wrong. Overall great colors. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,115
Points 8,405
JenPadden wrote
on 12 Feb 2014 10:29 PM

Actually it's just a pond.   Thank you for your critique

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Tebbe wrote
on 14 Feb 2014 9:23 PM

It is rather flat and one dimensional.  There is nothing of interest to keep my attention. The colors are bright and even.  The photo is very low res so any real determination is hard to get from this

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,115
Points 8,405
JenPadden wrote
on 14 Feb 2014 9:38 PM

I appreciate your critique but cannot understand why you would say my painting is 1-dimensional.    There's height, width & depth to the painting.  Yes I'm a beginner but I feel I have accomplished those 3 things at least.   I would say that 1-dimensional would be a perfect straight line or even a dot.   My painting is neither of those.   Thank you for your time anyway.  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,115
Points 8,405
JenPadden wrote
on 14 Feb 2014 9:46 PM

I have thought about what you said in your critique.   To say that the water looks off or the persoective is off to me implies that you believe a pond or lake should look perfect & centered etc.   I thought I accomplished something that isn't perfect but just real.   Isn't that what Art is all about.   The Artist's own perspective, their reality?   Thank you again. 

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 15 Feb 2014 10:12 AM

Hey man, those people are just trying to help, don't bite their heads off or anything. Rude.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,115
Points 8,405
JenPadden wrote
on 15 Feb 2014 10:25 AM

I was not biting anyone's head off. I was not rude in the least.    I was commenting on the critique.  I was polite and also thanked them for the critiques.  Can a person not make their comments on the critiques?   I questioned the wording of the critiques but did not attack the person who was doing the critique.    You however bit my head off and was really rude.   Chill ok?   Have a nice day. 

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 15 Feb 2014 10:54 AM

mmm'hmmm

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,000
on 15 Feb 2014 12:00 PM

Hello all—

Just a note about criticism:

You never have to pay any attention to criticism and you never have to agree with criticism. For these reasons, you should never argue with criticism. When you do, you turn a critique into a debate. There are no winners in that sort of exchange.

When submitting artwork for criticism, it is always a good idea to add something about yourself and your background. It could be something like, "I am a beginner and just starting to paint after some years. I am self taught." This gives others a big help in offering comments on work submitted.

When giving criticism, it is never good to be blunt. You may be only trying to help but at times criticism can sting. Some of the best criticism is offered as suggestions. Remember a critique also involves telling an artist about what has been done well. Positive comments can be some of the most constructive portions of a critique.

When receiving criticism, you have to put on your thickest skin. It is natural for artists to closely identify themselves with their work. Appreciate the fact that someone bothered to take the time to make a comment. Try to remember that people are not trying to hurt you or your work. Chances are they may not even know you.

Paul

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,115
Points 8,405
JenPadden wrote
on 15 Feb 2014 12:23 PM

Thank you very much Paul.  I agree with everything you are saying.  I guess I was trying to understand the critiquing but it came across in a negative way.

I will not be commenting on the critiques from here on in.  Thank you for your post.  It was much appreciated.  Jennifer

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,000
on 15 Feb 2014 4:33 PM

Jennifer and all—

Jennifer, my comments were not directed toward you alone.  Rather, these points are really a reminder to all of us.

Personally, I have never been in favor of face-to-face, open critique sessions in classrooms or offices where people know each other and work together. It can easily develop into an opportunity for strong personalities to make cheap shots. The best criticism in such an atmosphere is done one on one or in small groups of no more than four.

However, criticism offered in a forum such as Artist Daily is much different. Since we are not face-to-face and really do not know each other, there is an element of anonymity that shields us to some degree. This should result in a healthy level of candor in our commentary but it should never become rude or blunt.

There are times when a criticism may not be totally clear. There are times when you totally disagree with a criticism. However, there are times when a criticism is sincere and sheds a new light. This can be priceless. 

We are all in this boat together. We are all trying to become better artists day by day. When we offer criticism we should be offering help. And we all need help.

Best of luck to all of us—

Paul

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 3,980
Jay Babina wrote
on 15 Feb 2014 5:23 PM

Tebbie wrote "there's nothing of interest to keep my attention".  Just trying to help??

The artist said in her fist statement that that she was new at painting.

Sensitivity is a major asset necessary within all painters. It's not just about what WE paint but also about what others paint.

A good painter can help others.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,115
Points 8,405
JenPadden wrote
on 5 Mar 2014 8:58 AM

Thank you Jay.  I guess that is really what  I was trying to get across but did feel the "sting" of that particular critique so I may have sounded a bit angry instead.  My comments were not meant to sound that way.  We all have lessons to learn in life don't we?  lol  

Now I guess I will submit another painting. 

Jen

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 130
on 15 Mar 2014 4:02 PM

I think this piece is absolutely stunning. I think you captured color perfectly. I think the only thing it may be missing is a liiiiittle more negative space. Other than that though I couldn't be more pleased with how beautiful this piece turned out. 

I myself have never been that good at landscapes but you seem to have it down pat! (: 

Art is my passion and my life. I want to create conscious, inspiring, and vivid spiritual creations.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Th3rdEyeIndigo?ref=pr_shop_more 

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS