need tips on how to improve my sketching

This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50
on 6 Feb 2014 6:23 AM

My sketch is of a Ankylosaurus i did, could you give me a few tips on my sketching?thanksSmile

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 255
on 26 Feb 2014 3:11 AM

Its a nice sketch you did....Smile

Sketching is form of art which gives a non living object  to look like alive or real object. If you want to enhance your sketching skills than you have to know about drawing pencils & pen because they plays a major role in it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
pjreads wrote
on 26 Feb 2014 1:10 PM

It's a very good sketch of an Ankylosaurus.   You have lots of great internal detail and your drawing technique is lovely.

My suggestions:
-  Vary line weight on the edge to help round the form -- the heavy, dark outline flattens the form
- Subdue the background so it doesn't compete with the star of your sketch
- Decide where the light is coming from and use at least three values of lights and darks to round the form
- Use very light or no outline near the center of where light hits the form
- Use darker outline either at the darkest side of the Ankylosaurus or under the feet to ground it or on one side of the front legs and head to bring them forward
-  Dark line appears to come forward, lighter line appears to recede into the distance 

It looks like the light in your drawing is from the front, slightly lower than the head.  If so then the back part of the Anklyosaurus would be darker.  There are many helpful shading demos on the web.  Here's a typical one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaPQhEJpOQg 

Hope I helped.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
on 9 Apr 2014 5:19 AM

Hi! Nice work on the sketch. You’ve done a good job with adding dimension to the dinosaur, especially on the horns – they look 3D, with the light and shadow in the right places. I think one of the main problems is that it’s a little difficult to distinguish the head and legs, and since you’ve done a dark outline around the whole animal, it makes this even harder to distinguish. To help this, I would continue the darker line around the right side of the face up to the top horn, and around both front arms. This will help make them stand out from the rest of the body. You might want to continue the darker outline across about half of the body where the tail attaches as well. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS