An old memory . Would sure appreciate a critique before passing it on to a friend .

This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 140
on 3 Feb 2014 10:31 PM

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 175
Points 5,880
tyneboy wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 12:21 PM

Looks pretty good to me . The only suggestion I would make , and this is just the way I do my pictures, is to try and introduce a bit more contrast by darkening the shadows. I find it gives the picture a bit more depth and makes the lighter parts seem brighter.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 140
on 5 Feb 2014 2:05 PM

Thank you tyneboy for your help . I appreciate the consideration and will be more contrast conscious in the future .

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 250
on 9 Feb 2014 4:35 AM

I like the atmosphere and mood you have created. it feels tranquil and maybe a bit nostalgic? it is hard to tell if it is your photo of the work or if the left side is faded on purpose. if so, it could be because you used a photo as your source and the source photo is lacking contrast or color intensity as the other person suggested (that you add more contrast)?  overall compositon is good, I think, and the subject matter feels personal and truthful.

what technique did you use?

i ma not sure what part you want to create as the focal point...but you can play with value thumbnail sketches to see if it matches with what you see in the painting and then adjust accordingly. that is your choice and vision, so I dont think I could 'tell' you what to make darker, lighter, etc.

thanks for sharing this--it is an individual perspective and feels like you have a very personal and unique vision.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 140
on 9 Feb 2014 4:05 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for me . The painting is indeed nostalgic . The store , apartment building and playground were a part of my life growing up .  Your critique is appreciated . 

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 250
on 12 Feb 2014 3:21 PM

No problem. Good luck on your next piece. I am taking my critique and going to try to work on another version of the painting I put up for feedback. It helps with another pair of eyes.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 165
516 wrote
on 4 May 2014 10:06 PM

...please play fair...

I really like this.  It's very charming.  There are two, seemingly innocent signs in the picture, that -- when put together, read "please payfair."  Then there is a figure playing ball.  If this is not an intentional, subtle play on words and narrative, in my opinion, you have really gotten lucky!

I like all the squares in the composition, too.  There is a nice mix of organic and geometric shapes.  The colors are also nice -- particularly the combinations in the top right corner.

It's a keeper!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 140
on 5 May 2014 7:18 PM

516 I'm grateful for your input . The play on words was not intentional but for the future the concept is intriguing . Thank you for taking time to respond .

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 215
ceekay23 wrote
on 6 May 2014 2:36 AM

I do like this, well done.  

The only things I would change are: definitely darken the shadows next to the left hand tree, but I like the hint of sun on the background behind the chain link fence so I would leave that as is.  Also perhaps take out the path in the foreground and instead make the all of the foreground grass like the strip between the trees.  This would increase the focus on the batsmen instead by making it a simpler composition.

Keep on painting

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 140
on 6 May 2014 11:01 PM

ceekay23 thank you so much for weighing in . Your comments and support are really appreciated .

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 140
on 8 May 2014 8:30 PM

Thank you KellyW91 for the benefit of your observation . I'm grateful for the support .

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS