CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 27 Feb 2014 8:45 AM

Jen, your rose is lovely, such nice colours and your boy reading is going to be vey nice. It has a quietness that is capturing.

Catherine, good job of the interior window. I like how you put in all the details, the table, door and wall decorations. Your light and darks look good. Nice watercolour piece. Your studies are wonderful to see, I wish I was more diligent in doing studies, it is a great way to learn your subject and how to paint it.

Sarah, your still life of things from your home that you love has wonderful reflections from the objects. I really like the background and the colours in the objects.  Very nice composition which I think is a real challenge in a still life. I enjoyed seeing the acrylic work.

Here is my shells in the container. I didn't do the container but may yet, still debating. I used Canson Mi-Tteintes Pastel paper, 8x6 with derwent - graphitint and the white is Primo - Bianco charcoal.

Claudia, thank you so much for hosting the February Challenge, great photo challenges and great theme. And great works of art by all the participants they are a joy to see.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,270
Hearadh wrote
on 27 Feb 2014 11:38 AM

Hello Bonnie,

lovely sensitive drawing of the shells, is that a cut out paper frame? If so, a very good idea and it takes the place of a container.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 27 Feb 2014 4:28 PM

Bonnie this is amazing,   I love the texture, the detail, and the technique is spot on.  i have never heard of Bianco charcoal (White) and mixing it with graphtint is beautiful.   I am certainly loving it.    It looks like I'm looking in a hole and seeing the shells,  I like it with out the bowl.     Escargot anyone?  

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 27 Feb 2014 5:44 PM

Thank you Marsha, I had some problems with the charcoal and graphtint, they do not go over each other very well but I liked how they looked together.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 27 Feb 2014 11:46 PM

Bonnie, I agree with Marsha, it is a brilliant job. You have captured the shading, texture , shapes and shading of the shells really well. 

I didn't make it to the studio today. I have come down with a drippy cold and a sore nose! Hopefully I will get the next challenge out on time. I have the pictures just have to make the final choice which as those of you who have done it know is the difficult part.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,270
Hearadh wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 3:41 AM

Hello Bonnie,

this will be my third attempt to comment on the shells...well drawn and observed. The framing is just right so no need to draw the container. The circular hole 'hol(e)ds it perfectly!!!

Sarah

Sarah

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,355
Claudia S. wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 4:48 AM

Bonnie, your shells are beautiful, the shading and details are very well done.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,355
Claudia S. wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 4:56 AM

Hello everyone, The Challenge Gallery is up.

I enjoyed hosting this challenge and I love all the artwork posted!!!

Thank you everybody for the comments,tutorials, motivation and constructive criticism through out the month.

I will be gone skiing for the next week and will not have internet access for a while.

All the work posted after today will get put into the gallery a little later.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 7:26 AM

Great Job Claudia with the Gallery,   very nicely done.   looks good,    Everyone should be very proud of their work and how nicely it is displayed....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,270
Hearadh wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 7:37 AM

Agree with Marsha re. the February Gallery.

Sarah

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,270
Hearadh wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 7:39 AM

Agree with Marsha's comments......well done Claudia.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 8:51 AM

Thank you, Jen, Sarah and Claudia, I appreciate your comments. I think the verdict is to not add the container and I agree.

Claudia, your Gallery is wonderful. Such nice comments for all the artists, nicely done.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 2:05 PM

Claudia, wow you were quick with the gallery! Great job!  You will have to tell me how to do a Gallery as I have never done one. Thank you for all your hard work. I will have the new challenge up tonight or tomorrow. 

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 4:14 PM

Claudia, you did a great job with this months challenge.  I enjoyed all the artwork that everyone submitted.  Thank you again Claudia.  Joyce

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,575
Points 52,060
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 5:39 PM

Claudia, yes, great job on the gallery.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK