CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,892
Points 48,415
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 11:55 PM

Okay I will try again! Just posting and poof it all went away!

I worked on my rose a bit more but not sure I improved it! then started on the reading boy. rubbed him out several times and could not get a likeness. his head has shrunk again as I paint him so lots more work needed.

Rose 5x5 oil

boy 11x14 oil. I could have done the boy better in pastel but as I had the oils out ........!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 25 Feb 2014 1:57 AM

Thank you Jen, Carol and Bonnie for your nice comments.

Carol, no problem if you post something late. Most people who follow this thread get notified when somebody post and we will see it even if posted later.

Jen, love  your rose, you did great on the darks. Only thing I'm missing are the highlights you had painted on the first post of your rose.

Jen the studio you go to is huge. This looks like a great place. We have nothing like this over here. The boy reading is a tricky subject, I see a likeness, but you do so well fixing all your problems. I'm sure this is gonna be another one of your beautiful paintings.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 890
Points 19,835
Hearadh wrote
on 25 Feb 2014 2:43 AM

Hello Jen,

rose much improved...more tonal depth defines the petals.

Agree with the comments on the studio   I paint in my kitchen or outdoors

Seated boy coming along

Sarah!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 890
Points 19,835
Hearadh wrote
on 25 Feb 2014 2:48 AM

Hello Claudia,

very good drawing of the kitten and hand, sensitive observation.   

I tried to post this c/c yesterday but  it was refused.....I now see why, there must have been a traffic jam of uploads at the time! Sheer coincidence

Sarah

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 25 Feb 2014 3:41 AM

Thank you Sarah, I was realy surprised myself that I was able to draw the hands well.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,892
Points 48,415
Turps245 wrote
on 25 Feb 2014 2:39 PM

Thanks Claudia and Sarah, I agree about the highlights on the rose.. I have a lot of work to do on the boy.

Our studio is the upstairs in an old Army barrack. Lots of room and light and perfect for art. A group of us share it as a co- op and it works well. You get a lot of energy from fellow artists. Sometimes I like being there by myself too. We all have a key so we can come and go as we like. We just share cleaning  ( toilets and floors)  we have painted together for years so get on well. We have resident ghosts that bang doors and sometimes we hear men talking but they don't bother us! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 26 Feb 2014 6:06 AM

Trying to catch up again. Seems that's all I'm doing these days. I'm really sorry about needing to give the April Challenge hosting position to someone else and will eventually have my turn at it. Thank you all for being so flexible.

Jen...The Roman soldier looks great and I like the strong lines you've put into it. The shield looks really well done. I also like your rose. The colors in that are beautiful! The beginnings of the boy in the  window looks promising and what a great place to do your art!

Carol...The door knocker study is a nice one and really looks like the photo! Door knockers are fun to do.

Claudia...Your kitten painting is just so sweet and really, really well done too!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 26 Feb 2014 6:11 AM

I'm posting the only other work I've had a chance to do this month. Both are in the 9x9 inch multimedia sketch book done by drawing and then putting watercolor onto the drawing. This interior watercolor sketch is a little dirty but I was focusing on trying to hold the light and see how the light changed the colors as it shined on them.  I've not really done an interior drawing  before and there is a definite set of challenges.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 26 Feb 2014 6:15 AM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 26 Feb 2014 6:17 AM

Thank you Claudia for hosting the February Challenge. The photos were wonderful and it was interesting to see all the places you call home.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 890
Points 19,835
Hearadh wrote
on 26 Feb 2014 6:32 AM

A few of my favourite things in my home...acrylic on canvas board

Sarah

Sarah

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 26 Feb 2014 12:33 PM

Catherine, I think you managed the challenges of the interior water color very well. I like that you also put the table on the side and the shiny floor comes out well.

The studies of the stuffed animals are so detailed, the fabric studies are super. You studied that subject so intense and when you do your final painting this will pay off. Hope you will show us your masterpiece then.

You're very welcome, hosting was fun and I'm happy that so many nice pieces of art came out of the theme. I will post the gallery hopefully tomorrow.

Sarah, This is a wonderful piece, I love all colours of the glas.beautiful!!!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 26 Feb 2014 7:54 PM

NO time to post,   but did want to say a HUGE thank you to Claudia for hosting a great challenge this month... Wonderful job... 

Christine:   great job perfect....

Sarah:    great job

Jen :   I always love your studies...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,892
Points 48,415
Turps245 wrote
on 27 Feb 2014 12:05 AM

Catherine, well done with both studies. You nailed the perspective and shadows on the window and you have used good observation on the clothing. Keep doing these studies and you will learn a lot. Hope you have time to join in the challenges even though work is taking a bite out of your time.

Sarah, always fun to paint glass with all the varies reflections and you do them so well! 

You will be pleased to know that Karen has volunteered to take over the April challenge for us. Those that have done it before please give her tips.

Thank you Claudia for doing a splendid job of hosting for your first time. I enjoyed exploring your homeland and will probably come back and do some more.  The month was just too short by the time I came out of my slump!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 890
Points 19,835
Hearadh wrote
on 27 Feb 2014 2:35 AM

Thank you Claudia, Marsha a Jen......glass has always been a favourite 'challenge' for me' 'reflections - shadows-and all those colours!

I want to say a big thank you to Claudia as well for all the inspirational references and for being a caring hostess.

Sarah

Page 21 of 23 (337 items) « First ...  < Previous  19 20 21 22 23  Next > | RSS