CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 1:37 PM

I did a quick study of the door knocker.  None too happy with it.  Too narrow and must not be a good paper for pencil; my hand kept smudging the lead around.  I may try again with watercolour pencils.

Carol L.

C&C Welcome (be kind, I'm still learning).  :^)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 2:35 PM

Thank you , Sarah, Marsha, Bonnie and Claudia.  Hmmmm not sure this has made me a better horse painter Claudia but just doing something I consider difficult helps me be more adventurous the next time!  It is all learning and I know doing these challenges has made me a ore observant artist. I used to avoid flowers like the plague and through doing feel much more comfortable doing them. Still more to do on the rose pushing and pulling lights and darks.

Claudia,  no worries about repeats it is bound to happen and the knockers are different so more good drawing practice! 

Carol, good for you having a go. These knockers are tricky and you can fix the width issue fairly easily with a kneaded eraser and redoing it.mYou just need to widen his face a bit.  I think you got all those curly bits really well. I make and get into a mess with just about every medium I use and the smudging is just one way of getting messy. If you put a piece of drawing paper or tracing  paper under your hand it will lesson the smudging. Or I just go in with the kneaded eraser and clean things up at the end! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 3:16 PM

Thanks Jen.  Great idea about the paper under my hand.  I'm a lefty, and am used to it happening with any wet materials but have not had it happened this much with pencil before.  I'm using multi-media paper.  Maybe it prefers wet media...

Carol

Fwd: Carol, good for you having a go. These knockers are tricky and you can fix the width issue fairly easily with a kneaded eraser and redoing it.mYou just need to widen his face a bit.  I think you got all those curly bits really well. I make and get into a mess with just about every medium I use and the smudging is just one way of getting messy. If you put a piece of drawing paper or tracing  paper under your hand it will lesson the smudging. Or I just go in with the kneaded eraser and clean things up at the end!

Carol L.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 4:31 PM

Carol, it may be the paper but I have it happen in my sketch book made for drawing or just about any drawing type paper. The heavier the lead like B 2 and up tend to smudge anyway as they are more dense. I tend to draw flat too which gets arms and clothing  in it too!  I'm just messy!! :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 5:48 PM

Jen I just saw the rose.   Beautiful.   I have tried two times now to do the rose and I just can't do roses...  yours is beautiful.

Carol:  I like your sketch of the Door Knocker.    I understand about  the graphite smudging.  Use a piece of paper under your hand.  tracing paper is the best as it moves easily and doesn't  smudge.    was this a preliminary sketch?

Claudia,  It doesn't matter how many door knockers we have in the challenges,  they all look different,  I personally like your knocker...  as long as your not off your rocker.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 6:18 PM

Thanks Marsha. Still not finished. Yes nothing like a couple of knockers to liven things up! LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,340
Hearadh wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 3:12 AM

Hello Marsha,

mixing white is a clear medium in a tube (looks white) for thinning colours to the consistency you want.

I liked your window very much except for the mirror, it becomes the focal point due to the very dark frame but composition wise it is in the wrong place.

Thanks for taking the time  to comment on my work.

Glad you found the Green Man interesting......oak leaves and acorns are part of my GM's foliage!!!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,340
Hearadh wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 3:19 AM

Hello Carol,

you have made a very good start...it doesn't matter if things don't work out in a sketch    you have observed and know where you have gone wrong.  When/if you make another attempt it should be very helpful.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 9:18 AM

Carol, good start on the door knocker, evenso I'm not a lefty and never experienced the smudging when I write, but doing art I sometimes start on the right side of the paper and work my way to the left (don't know why) and than this problem accures. Paper under the hand helps like Jen and Marsha suggested.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 12:24 PM

The kitten my son wanted to keep last summer. My husband said he gets an allergy attac  looking at the drawing. Colored pencil

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 1:08 PM

Claudia, such a sweet story and you have captured the feeling well. Wonderful work on the hands and the little kitty.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 1:12 PM

HOSTING SCHEDULE  PROBLEM. Catherine cannot host the April challenge due to a change in her work schedule. Can anyone take over for her? PLEASE LET ME KNOW. 

THANKS JEN

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 8:10 PM

Carol, your sketch of the knocker turned out very good. I know he is a little narrow but his expression is still there. I do the same as Jen and use a kneading eraser to clean up the smudges. I always get them before I remember to use a sheet of paper.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 8:12 PM

Claudia I love your kitten sketch.  The hands (very hard to do) are exquisite!

Claudia, Jen, Sarah, yes, I do plan to try again.  I've been using a plain old number 2 pencil, so will get out one of my HB's.  Or will try it in colour pencils next time. I realize February is almost over, so I better get on it! Thanks for the tips and constructive comments!

Carol L.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 8:22 PM

Claudia, your kitten is great. The hands are so well done and the kitten so adorable. Very nice sketch. I understand your husbands comments being allergic myself.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Page 20 of 23 (337 items) « First ...  < Previous  18 19 20 21 22  Next >  ... Last » | RSS