CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 21 Feb 2014 9:19 AM

Marsha, love your window, the shiny wood floor turned out great. Also like your mirror showing the door. Nice creative idea.

It's nice to see you post all that great work. If you keep up that pace for the next week you will be the only one having all 26 challenge photos painted.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 855
Points 19,360
Hearadh wrote
on 21 Feb 2014 10:13 AM

this is based on the still life....water colour, 6 x 8 on very heavy Bockingford..

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 855
Points 19,360
Hearadh wrote
on 21 Feb 2014 10:30 AM

sorry, have run out of time for today to comment on all the latest efforts

Marsha... a Green Man is an ancient fertility symbol ....manifest in stone carvings on pillars and roof bosses. 

Male face with leaves curling out of his mouth and leaves for eyebrows and hair...they are to be found in very old Christian churches when newly converted Christians hedged their bets. Much folklore to be found if you wanted to find it on the internet.

I have a stoneware version of him, 14" circular bas relief. Leaves  curl out of his mouth and he has leaves for eyebrows and hair.

Maybe a door knocker isn't the right thing to have on ones door if ???????????

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 21 Feb 2014 11:39 AM

Claudia, your nautilus has fantastic colour. It really looks like water and illustrates the movement of the nautilus. I'm glad you took this further than a sketch.

Marsha, great work on the window. You even got the shadow from the tree outside in the sunshine on the floor. I still think this one would be hard with all the perspective. You must be in a painting zone to produce all this work. Good for you.

Sarah, very nice pear and apple. They sit perfectly on the surface with lovely shadows. Your pear even has it's dimply texture. Nicely done.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 22 Feb 2014 6:32 AM

Ok. Catch up time again. It's been one of those weeks....again! I've done some little things with clothing folds and another sketchy thing of one of the bear's head but really not worth posting. Just wanted to let you know I have been thinking about art at some points this week.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments about my last post of the three little exercises of the bears. The one that is actually painted was just to get my feet wet so to speak.

Kim ...the rose is darker than the original but because this whole thing was to get a feel for using color instead of graphite I'm just going to leave it and move on to the actual piece on the heavier watercolor paper. It sort of took on a life of it's own after a point so it stands out.

Claudia ... the watercolor of the bears in my last past, although pretty colors, is really to splotchy to post as a stand alone piece of work. I was trying to see what colors I needed to use to achieve the depth in the clothing folds etc. and wasn't really thinking about it being anything more than that. I did manage to tape off the heavier wc paper block in the hopes of getting an actual painting started this weekend. The use of the blue in your painting of the window sill is really pleasant to look at. I like the simplicity of it and the color of the sky outside the window. I also like your study of the tube paints.  I've never attempted that myself and I like how you've put them together. Your nautilus is fantastic! Beautiful shapes and colors!

Carol...Welcome to the forum and let me say your copies are just beautiful! I hope to see more!

Sarah...I also like your watercolor of the tube paints! Very nice shapes and colors too. Your pear still life is really realistic! Great pear colors. I really like the light in the reflections.

Cristina...I really like your reproduction of the piece by Sargent! It has your touch to it and the colors are beautiful!

Jen...I like the oil sketch you've done of the roman soldier! I think it's really a nice little sketch all by it's self. I know have scrolled to the same piece with color and I really like those shades of white  and the light/shadows you've got going!

Marsha...I always did like that door knocker! Your paint tube in the w/c is wonderful! Great job on the window sill and light/shadows!

Joyce...That rose is so beautiful! I'm not a pink person but those colors of pink in that rose are just gorgeous!

Geri...The sketch you've also done of the tube paint is really a good one! The shape is nice and full with the great sqoosh of paint.

I think I have caught up. Now to get into the "zone" so I can get some painting done this weekend!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 22 Feb 2014 1:55 PM

Fwd:  Carol, you have great observations skills and the cave paintings are really well done especially the cracks and rocks face. The best way to learn and develop a style is to just keep painting and drawing as many and as diverse things you can find. This is where the challenges are so great and they are just that challenges and don't have to be works of art, just studies or sketches with no pressure. Look at art, read about art, look at artists work on Utube and draw every day. It all opens your artists eye and re routes your brain. So pick a reference and go for it!

Thanks Jen!  And yes that is my intention.  I like the informal nature of these challenges!

Carol

Carol L.

C&C Welcome (be kind, I'm still learning).  :^)

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 22 Feb 2014 1:57 PM

Fwd: Carol...Welcome to the forum and let me say your copies are just beautiful! I hope to see more!

Thanks Catherine!

Carol L.

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 22 Feb 2014 2:13 PM

Fwd: Carol, this is the link to the museum, it's a museum for Roman and Bavarian history. If you scroll down in the red box you find one of the paintings.

http://www.bajuwaren-kipfenberg.de/programm/pro_event.htm

Wow!  So you are in this beautiful castle and town?  So envious.  Bavaria is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been!

Carol L.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,852
Points 47,555
Turps245 wrote
on 22 Feb 2014 9:42 PM

Marsha, Great job on the gooey paint tube with the big glob of paint. Very realistic. The window with it's bright reflection on the floor looks fabulous. the mirror is a good addition!

Claudia, Beautiful, vibrant pastel painting of the nautilus. Great job.

Sarah, Good work on the pears with great colours.

Carol, this is a beautiful photo of the castle. Claudia is lucky to live in such a lovely place. I look forward to seeing which challenge you will choose.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,852
Points 47,555
Turps245 wrote
on 22 Feb 2014 9:49 PM

Well today I finished all I am going to do on the Knight. I think I have fixed the horses legs as far as I am able. Sarah I was using soft mixing white last time which is a soft creamy white the consistency of shaving cream. It works well for mixing a lot of paint and spreads well as it is not as stiff as Flake, Zinc or other white oil paint. I love it but is was not the paint for the horse. today I went to flake and it worked better. the legs are still a little odd but I have done all I can. then I painted a quick little 5x5 of a rose. still got a bit to do.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 855
Points 19,360
Hearadh wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 3:01 AM

Hello Jen,

I use the mixing white for glazes.

Very good version of the Roman soldier/horse...the print I worked from was much less sharp than your ref.    just as well I wanted to paint a ghostly scene!!!!! 

The rose ...very lively brushwork.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 5:35 AM

I had jazz today sold out crowd...  I'm whopped...

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments on the empty room with a window and mirror.

Sarah,   I looked up and read about the Green man,   great stories... interesting concepts.. I have a corbel that is apparently a green man but not green...  has the acorn leaves, I just thought it was a man with a leafy mask... now I no the whole story.   thank you so much.... I love your pears...great texture.   what is mixing white?

Jen: your horse is really nice. I love the light bouncing off of him it is really  coming along great,  the leg makes more sense now with the mound in front of it..   maybe add a tad of a turned up hoof on his right front leg.   boy you are braver than me...

Claudia:  thanks for the links I enjoyed reading about them ...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 7:44 AM

Jen, great painting of the Knight. I really like the colour of the light in this one. Also the metal details on the horse's harness is well done as well as the shield. Lots of movement with the horse. Nicely done.

Jen, your WIP rose has wonderful warm colours. and seems to have lots of energy. Lovely.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 7:44 AM

Jen, great painting of the Knight. I really like the colour of the light in this one. Also the metal details on the horse's harness is well done as well as the shield. Lots of movement with the horse. Nicely done.

Jen, your WIP rose has wonderful warm colours. and seems to have lots of energy. Lovely.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 23 Feb 2014 12:18 PM

Thank you for all the nice comments on the nautilus painting and the window.

I was real busy this weekend

Sarah your semi abstract watercolour is wonderful, the pear and apple realy atract the eye of the beholder.

Jen, good job on the roman soldier, You did the horse well and studied your subject well. So horses shoud not be a problem for you in future.

The  form, color and every single petal of the rose look very nice, good start,

Marsha,Jen, I guess I didn't do my homework right, since you had an almost identical ref, photo of the door knocker last April, But good thing all the new people got to see your door knocker, Marsha.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Page 19 of 23 (337 items) « First ...  < Previous  17 18 19 20 21  Next >  ... Last » | RSS