CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,647
Points 52,355
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 9:16 PM

GERI, VERY nice work!!!   I would add the lettering.

WELL, I tried to delete this one and could not.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 2:06 AM

Marsha, Karen and Geri, thank you for your comments, highly apprechiated.

Geri, Your painting tube looks great. You did well on the tube itself, form and shading and the paint coming out. Isn't that tricky, at least it was for me.

I don't know about the lettering, I would take a look at the shadow again, maybe a little softer edges. I'm having a hard time with the paint tube, so Yes for yours.

Karen, Commision work, great, good for you

Charlie, you said you might do some more of your car paintings, anything in progress?

Carol, the artist is using natural pigments, loam, chalk, clay... I don't know what kind of binder she uses, I doubt she uses blood. Her paintings will arrive in the museum at the end of March and the Vernisage will be in April.

We do post some of our older works here too, if it is fitting the theme. But the  motto of the Challenge is:

Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure. In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

So my suggestion is, just pick up the pencil, pen, brush and have fun painting!!!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 7:09 AM

Geri, good job on your colored pencil 'Tube Grune Farbe'. You got a really good shape on the tube and paint. I don't think it needs the lettering. It must be nice to have an art center and a group to participate with. 

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 702
Points 11,470
karend84 wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 8:48 AM

Shameer nice work on the horse and rider.  I agree that your horse and rider look powerful.

Catherine your stuffed animal studies are great. I admire your patience to spend the time studying your subject.

Carol welcome to the group.    Great job on the Burton copy.  I really like your color choices.  The stone textures on the cave paintings is great.

Christinaa great job on  the Sargent piece.  I can still see your style come through.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 702
Points 11,470
karend84 wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 8:58 AM

Jen your sketch of the horse and rider look good.  I agree with Geri to work on the back leg of the horse.  Can't wait to see were you take it

Geri your paint tube looks good.   

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 9:00 AM

Bonnie it is nice to have a place to go because if I wait and do it at home it doesn't get done.  The bad part is of the 5 people that were there only 2 of us did any artwork.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,647
Points 52,355
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 5:04 PM

Claudia, I do not have any car painting going on right now.  i am doing some works for two shows that I hope to get entered.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 7:49 PM

Carol:  Where do you live? Also the Challenges have a theme as well as photos to choose from.   Each person hosting the Challenge chooses the both.   We have another place for pieces other than what the theme is about it is the Chatter:

Holly:  GO CANADA!!!!  Curling  Yeah team!!!!  (I'm in the theme of things I LOVE to watch from HOME right now in the Olympics) 

Geri:  great job,   with the tube and the color coming out, careful of the shadow   to me it may be a tad to dark,  ,   looks like hookers green   great color. I'm thinking hard about jelly beans now.  nice for you and Jen to have art groups.

Sarah :  thank you for your advice with the WC Oils.   i was turned on to a site to check out "Lori McNee" and was really interested it reading it.  she does beautiful work.  It interesting how you used all of those methods to get a painting done.    wow!

Kim thank you for sending me the information.   I just hope I can get something put down on anything.....

Jen How is your Roman Rider coming along?

Claudia you are doing a GREAT job with this months Challenge  Kuddo's to you.  I hope to do something before the end....  hopefully...  

Joyce and Karen, I know just what you mean about keeping up with everyone....   its tough sometimes,

Charlie I hope you will be able to share your paintings with us.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 8:30 PM

Thank you Claudia.  I'll have to watch for this Artist - what is her name and where is the museum?

Carol L.

C&C Welcome (be kind, I'm still learning).  :^)

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 8:31 PM

Marsha, I'm in the US, on the east coast.  

Carol L.

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 8:58 PM

Thanks Karen.  I can't take credit for the color choices they are all Burton's.  :^)  It just depends on which image you use when you copy it, and I chose one with those colors.  

Carol L.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,647
Points 52,355
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 9:33 PM

MARSHA, I well share when I have one that fits the theme.  Right now I do not have one.  My last works are in the Members Gallery.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,765
Turps245 wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 10:15 PM

Sarah, good job with the tree tubes of paint.

Carol, you have great observations skills and the cave paintings are really well done especially the cracks and rocks face. The best way to learn and develop a style is to just keep painting and drawing as many and as diverse things you can find. This is where the challenges are so great and they are just that challenges and don't have to be works of art, just studies or sketches with no pressure. Look at art, read about art, look at artists work on Utube and draw every day. It all opens your artists eye and re routes your brain. So pick a reference and go for it!

Gerri, Excellent job with your cp's. I would say go for it with the writing but cp's are not as forgiving as some mediums so maybe just a suggestion of words.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,765
Turps245 wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 10:24 PM

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging words on my Roman soldier. The darn horse is proving to be a nightmare! I have been fighting wet paint and lack of horse anatomy knowledge. The back leg is still weird. it is straight and my friend said he is pushing off on that leg but the front extended one is odd too and well all the legs seem a bit off. I worked the bg first so slipping into wet paint there as well so mess and paint sliding everywhere! It needs to dry a bit and then maybe I can work on the legs again. I am trying hard to look at just shapes and shadow but...! This may have to sit for a while. still a productive day.

the man has very odd shaped legs but I still made them weirder! Helmet looked better before I tried to improve it!

12x16 oil.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 10:41 PM

JEN:   WOW.  you really are coming along on this...  My suggestion....for what it is worth,,,  look at the dirt.  His hoof is covered by it,  both his left rear leg as well as this right front leg.  you can see a tiny bit of his right front hoof but the dirt mounds up a bit over it.   The riders legs are in an akward position because he is leading the horse with his heels.  just as he would if he were riding bareback.  I don't know if this information helps but I hope so....  I think you are off to a grand start,  its the "wait for it to dry"  part that would kill me....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Page 17 of 23 (337 items) « First ...  < Previous  15 16 17 18 19  Next >  ... Last » | RSS