CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 618
Points 9,755
karend84 wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 5:03 PM

I am posting from my phone.  Excuse the numerous post as I can't type a lot at once.   Thank you everyone who took the time to comment on the piano and rose.

I think some still are giving me credit for tiny straight lines and notes.  The music was scanned, reduced and then attached using a  gel medium.  I couldnt get the lines that small.  I tried pen and ink but decided against it.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 618
Points 9,755
karend84 wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 5:15 PM

Sarah your watercolor wasted is such a fun painting.  I really like your lake and mountain.  Your ghost rider is great.  The movement is fabulous.

Claudia you have been busy.  Your encaustic of the food is great.  I really like the way you handled the beer stein.  Great detail on the door knocker.  I really like that pic.  You did great work on the perspective for the room and your paint tubes are coming along great.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 618
Points 9,755
karend84 wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 5:22 PM

Bonnie your graphite of the rose and hand is beautifully done.  You did a great job with the delicate petals. 

Kim your beanie bear and tea cup is perfect.   I love the colors.  

Sarahyour paint tubes are fantastic.  I like how you achieved the squeeze marks. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,438
Points 23,090
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 5:36 PM

T started this last week at the Wednesday group meeting at the art center.  Just got this far today.  I am not sure if it is finished or do I need to add the lettering.  I call it  TUBE GRUNE FARBE.  It is colored pencil on a 7x7.5 inch piece of scrap mat board.  Need some feedback.  Thanks.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,438
Points 23,090
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 6:02 PM

Claudia I see that you got your cp's out to do the paint too.  Nice sketches.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,438
Points 23,090
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 6:05 PM

Carol welcome to the group.  Glad to have you.  Your paintings are a hard act to follow.  I wish I would have started that well.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,438
Points 23,090
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 6:08 PM

Sara great little painting of the WC tubes.  Nice shading where thy are bent and dented. 

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,438
Points 23,090
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 6:12 PM

\Christina my favorite Sargent painting and you did a good job with it too.  Good work.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,438
Points 23,090
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 6:19 PM

Claudia your window is real well done.  your limited palate worked out very nice.  If I was going to critique it at all I would say to put something on th floor where the shadow and the light comes together.  I would not have to be much a piece of paper or anything to draw your interest down to the floor so your eye would travel back and forth to it and the window.  Two thumbs up.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 7:14 PM

Thanks Geri!  Burton's painting is gorgeous, so makes my copy look good.  My fear is that once I stop copying others and try to just be my inner Artist (once I figure out who that is!!) that my own style will be weak.  Copying others is good practice though and I learn from every painting I do.  So the trick will be to END that well, LOL.

Carol L.

C&C Welcome (be kind, I'm still learning).  :^)

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 7:40 PM

Thanks Bonnie and Claudia!

Claudia, I painted it on a box canvas.  I used acrylic and heavy acrylic medium to create the rock texture, then ran over it with soft pastels and oil pastels to create lowlights and highlights. The deer are ink and acrylic, with a touch of pastels at the end to dull the shininess of the ink and add the appearance that some of the deer paintings had faded and weathered over the millennia.

I've studied cave paintings quite a bit in the making of the 7 I have done.  It fascinates me that they figured out the things they did.  For example, in the Drakensberg caves, they used a deep red which is really well preserved because they realized that if they mixed the pigment with blood (from animals not their own) it would last longer.  The reason is that blood does not break down the way other materials do.  Who knew??  So when you say she is using natural colors, what do you mean?  That she mixes them herself from natural materials like the cave painters used?  

I will have a look back at the other challenges, great idea!  I started looking through them and I'm realizing I cheated by adding paintings I'd already done.  This is more about doing something spontaneous.  So I may do something new, to be more in the spirit of things.  If I do it for a different challenge, I'll remember to post it there not here.  Thanks.

Carol L.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,438
Points 23,090
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 7:42 PM

Carol don't worry about finding a style.  The style will find you.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 7:50 PM

Thanks Geri!  That's what I'm counting on.

PS - your tag line cracks me up everytime I see it.  Hebrews it, LOL.

Carol L.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,438
Points 23,090
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 7:53 PM

Carol the blood that you were speaking of is the binder that holds the pigment.  It was used as a glue by primitive man as well as eggs and some sap.  Egg is still used in egg tempera, oils use linseed oil, watercolor uses gum Arabic ( which is also used in the glue that holds hair piece on and it is also one of the ingredients in jelly beans)  acrylics uses man made polymers for their binder.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,367
Points 50,720
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 9:13 PM

Geri, VERY nice work!!!   I would add the lettering.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Page 16 of 23 (337 items) « First ...  < Previous  14 15 16 17 18  Next >  ... Last » | RSS