CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 3:26 AM

CLLewis, I missed your cave painting yesterday. A man cave in the house, this is great, just what every house needs.

Your cave painting has wonderful colors and even it looks easy to do with the simple shapes, it is not, Like Jen mentioned it would be nice to have a name to adress you right.

Sarah, I thought paintings tubes are good challenge. I did them before in the only good art class i took. At least they will be a challenge for me.

Your paint tubes don't look like they gave you much of a challenge. Love all the colors and shading!

Cristina, when I saw your painting in the gallery on Valentines Day I thought it fit right in to this thread too. Because Valentines Day was an other theme and I love the way you captured that special moment from the artist, you did very good on the impessionist style of painting.

Jen, this looks like a great start on the roman soldier. I'm so glad you are taking part in this challenge!!!

Thanks for commenting on my painting, I'm in  a hurry so just this general note, sorry.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 970
Points 21,305
Hearadh wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 10:32 AM

Hello

Bonnie, Cristina and Jen   thank you for your comments.

Cristina...very colourful version of the boating scene

Jen. .good start to the Roman horseman...take another look at the rear leg of the horse... You say it is a Challenge....I find everything a challenge these days!!!!!!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,556
Points 82,610
on 18 Feb 2014 11:16 AM

Claudia, Jen and Sarah I appreciate your beautiful comments!

Thank you!

Cristina

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 12:44 PM

Bonnie, Jen, Sarah, and Claudia - Thanks to all for your c/c re. my Beanie Baby Bear with the tea cup. I always apprec. everyone's time in commenting and think it adds so much to read others' opinions.

Sarah - love the paint tubes' coloring, so soft and the BG helps set them off.

CL - Pls. note Jen's suggestion to add your name to your signature line, as well as a line such as "C & C's welcome" (comments/critiques) - if that's the case. Love the colors and text. in your cave ptg.; exquisite! - how perfect for a man cave (love that!).   My new computer doesn't like the smiley faces in this reply box, so just imagine a big thumbs up here.

Claudia - You asked about collecting the Beanie Babies; no, I recd. it as one from my parent's collection (they were an acquaintance of Ty), but I think they dispersed most of the collection by now. Your aunt's ident. bear can join the tea party.

Claudia, I love your room! In fact, I was going to do this one, but think I'll do a diff. one now since I feel you captured this so well that I doubt I can offer anything (my excuse and I'm sticking to it). The colors, almost monochromatic, are perfect for this mood/setting. Your paint tube study is vey nice - some good shading on the tubes and nice colors too. One thing to suggest is to think about the shadow lines' direction - to me the upward strokes suggest an incline; but if a flat surface, the lines could be the same length and done in a flat horizontal direction to keep the shadow grounded flat. It's a small thing.

Cristina - Love your colors and texture! Texture resonates with each of your works that I recall. I have a feeling your home has lots of texture to make it interesting. Good job on this.

Jen - Always enjoy your WIPs. This is no exception and I really look fwd. to seeing the stages and/or its completion.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 5:39 PM

Thanks Kim and Jen.  Apologies to everyone - it occurred to me in the middle of the night (should have been sleeping, LOL) that I had not said my name, so it was on my list to do tonight.  I'm Carol.

I had also been wondering what the c&c welcome was about.  Now that I know, I'll post another man cave painting in my home (left side of image) so you can C and C it!  I'm including the source image (right side of image) too this time.

Thanks Kim, it was a gift to my husband and he was over the moon.  I've since done some from Levant (attached herein) and Chauvet caves too.  The colors are not quite as dark as they look here.

And of course, constructive comments are welcome (I'm soaking up all the tips I can get!)

Carol

Carol L.

C&C Welcome (be kind, I'm still learning).  :^)

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 5:49 PM

Thanks Bonnie and Jen.  Certainly my two paintings are very different, aren't they?  Part of my dilemma right now is that I have been copying others, to learn, so everything I do is derivative.  My "stone effect" in the cave paintings are all me, but clearly I'm copying the figures from the originals.  So another hope I have is that this monthly challenge will help pull my inner Artist out of me.  I have no idea what my style is.  This could help, right? 

So this signature line of which you speak...hmmm...  I'll go see if I can figure it out.  Thanks again!

Carol L.

C&C Welcome (be kind, I'm still learning).  :^)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 8:02 PM

Cristina, your version of Sargent's work is terrific. I just want to be there. Lovely work.

Jen, nice to see your WIP of the roman horse, coming along nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 8:14 PM

Carol, very good cave painting. I like how you showed us the one you worked from. You have great texture for the stone and the animal shapes are very nice. Lovely work. 

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 1:02 AM

Carol, I agree with all the above, nicely done man cave. My question would be, what kind of paints did you use and what surface was it painted on. Just curious. At the museum i work we have a special exhit from an artist who does cave like paintings with natural colors.

Finding you own style, well can't help, I'm still searching myself;). But the challenge helped me. I always look at the pictures and think what medium and style I could use and go for it. Maybe one of the pictures in this challenge will inspire you. If not you can look at the pictures of earlier challenges and paint them, but you have to post them in the right challenge (month) thread. Happy painting.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 1:47 AM

Kim, thank you for the nice comments on my paintings. I think you should go for the window, but you said you won't change your mind. Nowing your talent you would have produced a perfect version of it. Hmm, which photo will she choose and which medium. Can't wait to see it what ever challenge you choose.

I also appreciate you input on the paint tube shading. I took an approach and painted one with oel pastels last night. Well that went to start the fire with this morning. New day new challenge!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 5:22 AM

Catherine:  I hope you get a chance to try several types of Arches,   I like the cp because of the texture of it but your stlye on the smooth paper will certainly be enhanced on the HP paper.   good luck to you.

Carol: Welcome to our little world.   your Hellelil and Hildebrand meeting in the turret Stairs was very nicely done.  It shows you have patience to be able to persue such an undertaking. I did see the other foot but your explaination is very nicely done.   I don't have that much patience, but I should work on that aspect,.   Your Cave paintings are excellent, I like the texture and colors as well and the fact that you chose which ones to place into your piece making it personal.  very nicely done

Kim:  yes Tea Party would be fun.   I was a Beanie addict and still have ALL of mine...  I don't know what I will do with them they are all packed away.  but I could get one or two out for a party.  

Claudia: oh my, I truly like your room study, the perspective and colors are beautifully placed,  the complete picture makes for a mystery,   who lived there and why did they leave.   ????   you really captured the colors in each tube... what brand???? hmmmm

Sarah:   what a great wc piece of the tubes of violet, indian yellow, cerelean blue, and aureolin yellow... including the caps.    just guessing of course.  I always love your choices of color and mixing....

Cristina:   DOUBLE WOW!.   LOVE your Sargent piece,   beautiful colors wonderful technique....  glad to see you again.

Jen:  you have a great start on your roman soldier,  I will look fodrward to the finished product,   love your WIP;s.  I agree with Sarah  whtch that back leg, but then you always have a way of wiping out something you don't like and substituting it with something better.     I'm impressed,  

I finally purchased a small set of watersoluable oils,   does anyone have any suggestions about them..... what type of ground or do you always have to use canvas for oils...?   I don't have a clue.  

As far as finding a style, I too am still searching.    as far as challenges go, sometimes just getting up is a challenge....

I have one I tried a new technique on and I have turned it over and will try something on the other side,   I was using killimenjaro paper 140lb cp and was very disappointed working with it,   it didn't take much for it to fall apart,   but then again, it could very well be that I was a bit rough on it.   but I can use pieces of it for testing a color out before placing it on paper.  

I hope all is stil hanging in there for the terrible winter,,,,,

Geri I just saw that your state was really getting slammed,,   please stay warm..

Sam if you are reading this , we sure would like to hear from you again

Alex,  you are so missed..   

Bonnie:   I was sooooo disappointed in our curling team.   I am going to root for GB I think ....   

Charlie: it was nice to see you peeking in

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 5:35 AM

Sarah I commend you for working out the bumps with a new computer...   I always have used an Apple but recently went over to a new OS and found I had some learning curves.   but I still love it. 

I saw where Claudia was the one that posted your "WASTED"  painting ( not meaning it was wasted, ) but what a cute idea to have a cat taking over the setting of food....   My cats are 14 years old and have never done that but I bet they would if they thought of it.    tee hee....  you have quite a sense of humor with that one.  

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 970
Points 21,305
Hearadh wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 11:25 AM

Hello Marsha,

thanks for all your comments.

WS Oils........you can use oil paper, oil boards or canvas on boards.....any surface with a 'tooth'.

.I used to glue old pieces of linen/cotton on to pieces of hardboard when I couldn't afford canvas!!! I also used to go to second hand shops and bought any old oil paintings so that I could use the reverse sides!

To be honest if I can't use real oils I would rather paint with acrylics...best of both worlds.

Hope I have helped.

Sarah

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,556
Points 82,610
on 19 Feb 2014 2:41 PM

Kim., Bonnie, Marsha your words are just wonderful, it's very encouraging, thank you so much!

Cristina

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 678
Points 10,980
karend84 wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 4:52 PM

Seems like I've been away for a while.  Crazy weather and busy work.  Had to stay in a hotel the other night to close then open the restaurant I manage.  There are 5 of us and seems we each have a had turn with the weather.  I have also been asked to do 2 commissions so I will try to keep up with comments but will struggle finding time to do a challenge.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Page 15 of 23 (337 items) « First ...  < Previous  13 14 15 16 17  Next >  ... Last » | RSS