CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 12:11 PM

And a couple studies for the next subject.

Thumbnails, colored pencil

l

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 12:13 PM

Sarah,

Thanks so much!  If you follow his left side, notice his leg is folded up/out, and his heel is resting on the step.  There is a subtle curve at the right, where his knee bends under his surcoat.  His tan suede shoe is visible starting from below the corner of his surcoat, just behind the sword (at right).  It took me days of studying it to finally realize exactly what was going on.  Maybe the below will help.  I started this painting in February 16th and finished 26 May.  100 days seems like way too long, LOL.  I also saw a video of a professional paint this same painting in less than a day!  And I regularly see Artists start and complete a painting in the same week.  In my defense, I work full time, so only paint weekends and a workday evening here and there.  But if I want to make a go of this, I need to speed things up!

Carol L.

C&C Welcome (be kind, I'm still learning).  :^)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 12:15 PM

Thanks Claudia!  It's a beautiful painting - I wanted to do it justice!  

If you'd like to see progress and comparisons to the original, the progress album in Facebook is here: 

https://www.facebook.com/An.Artist.Recreated/photos/a.476337432413549.101909.112252695488693/494900357223923/?type=3&theater

Carol L.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 12:58 PM

Thank you for the offer, but I'm not on facebook. This is is the only online forum on the www I hang out;)

But I'm sure some of the other challenge members love to see it, so thanks for posting.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 827
Points 18,905
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 1:04 PM

Thanks CCL,

I can see it now that you have outlined his stance.. not very clear in the original either.

I think most of us on AD only have time to paint at week ends and on holiday so you are not alone re. the time factor.  I for one normally only have time to spare at the weekends.

May I suggest that you use a different medium or paint/draw subjects which don't require such time consuming study beforehand or in copying it....I don't mean to offend so please take this observation as well intended.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 1:57 PM

Oh none taken Sarah!  I agree, and have several works in progress which I hope will take less time.  Thanks!

Carol L.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 827
Points 18,905
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 3:44 PM

Hello Claudia,

doing as you suggested so here are some of the other colours I love to paint with.

I did upload one a long time ago of my favourite colour. . red

Sarah

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,822
Points 46,970
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 6:58 PM

Marsha, good to see you back with us you have been missed. Sorry to hear about your friend hope he recovers soon.

Kim, I love your dotty beany and the tea cup. Nice contrast with the yellow and blue.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,822
Points 46,970
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 7:28 PM

Catherine, well done with the bears, really nice sketches and the colour version is lookng good too with nice contrasts.

CLL, welcome to the group. Do you have a first name we could call you as it easier to reply if we know your name. You could add it to your signature line. What a beautiful painting of the knight and lady. You have certainly set your standard high. I don't think it matters how long it takes. As long as you enjoy what you are doing. The cave painting while different also shows your skillful handling. You look like you have been painting for years. Hope you will join in the challenges and have fun.

Claudia, well done with the window. Perspective is really tricky and always nails my hide and you have done it well. I like the subdued colours too.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,822
Points 46,970
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 7:29 PM

Claudia, looks like a good start on the tubes of paint.

Sarah, beautifully done painting of paint! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 954
Points 13,835
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 10:26 PM

Thank you, Sarah, Geri, Jen, Kim, Catherine and Marsh for your very nice comments. Catherine, I'm glad you found the rose drawing inspiring, hope you give it a try. 

Kim, your Beanie Baby Bear is cute with the tea cup. I had forgot about the Beanie Bears. A heart warming piece.

Catherine, your stuffed animals are wonderful in colour. I hope you give the Arches paper a try. The first class I took, the instructor insisted on quality paper and she had Arches paper as part of our supplies.

CCLewis, welcome to the monthly challenge. Your work is so very good. I don't think I could pick which one I like better. If you sign in to your profile you can add a name to your signature line and also if you would like to receive comments.

Claudia, your sun through the window is well done. I always like a painting like this and would like to try one but the perspective is difficult although you handled it very well. I also like the colour you used.

Claudia, your tubes of paint are great. You have great shading and the paint looks soft and real.

Sarah, a nice collection of paints. I am taking note of these colours as I always love the colours you use. Nice work on the tubes and caps.  

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,117
Points 78,265
on 17 Feb 2014 10:58 PM

Hello again dear friends,

I feel so sorry for not commenting on your artwork, but I love so much what I've seen here. 

What a great and talented community! 

Claudia, thank you again for hosting February challenge and for inviting me to participate.

You did an excellent job in choosing those lovely and inspiring photos!

I wasn't sure if this painting would fit well in this challenge but Claudia encouraged me to post it.

My humble version of wonderful Sargent's work (Paul Cesar Helleu sketching with his wife Alice Guerin - 1889)

comments and critiques are always welcomed

A super lovely night to everyone and Happy painting!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,822
Points 46,970
Turps245 wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 1:06 AM

Cristina, You have painted a beautiful version Sargent's classic work. the colours and strokes look excellent.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,822
Points 46,970
Turps245 wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 1:09 AM

Well I finally got to start a painting for this challenge. Sorry it has taken me so long. Just the toned ground and the quick sketch but a start. horses are not my thing as I usually mess them up so don't expect great things. It is a good challenge for me.

12x16 oil

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 827
Points 18,905
Hearadh wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 2:55 AM

Hello Claudia,

very well done and your choice of basic colour is in keeping with the subject  

Sarah

Page 14 of 23 (337 items) « First ...  < Previous  12 13 14 15 16  Next >  ... Last » | RSS