CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 16 Feb 2014 9:24 PM

Bonnie:  I love the girl in the garden, beautiful colors,  I especially like the iris, brought back memories of my mothers garden.  Your valentine rose drawing is super.   I attempted the same thing for a quickie pencil, graphite but yours is very special....

Susan: how wonderful that you have such a beautiful indoor pool with such a view. nice painting.

Karen: I love the piano and rose and the technique that you used to achieve it. The rose is spectacular.   I have such a picture over my piano on the wall.  

Sonia: what a lovely colored pencil of the pears,  I realize the photo is a bit light but it looks very well done.

Geri: Your monotone looking piece with the charcoal and green paper have very good contrast great looking piece.  I sould try a charcoal one day...  and be brave.... like you....

Claudia:  "Wasted" what a fun piece, it took me forever to figure it out, when it was finally explained, I saw it... and laughed...  good job. the encaustic of beer and pretzel.   Your "KNOCK KNOCK"  is really well done.   Love the color combination and texture of it.

Sarah:  I love the boat in the water and the beautiful background.   I saw the Cat painting you posted I love it,  I still want to do something like that but just don't have the courage yet.   thank you for thinking of me... I hope your weather is evening out.   The whole world is experiencing some sever extreme weather conditions.  scarey.   Your knight on the horse with the winter background is soooo very special,  I don't know if you meant it to look ghostly, but thinking about it, in your area so many medievel times, I could see looking at a steam and imagining who could have crossed it in past times.  it is beautiful and dream like.

Shameer:   a very exciting piece with the knight on the horse...   good job well done.

Kim: I have the same Beanie...  great wc Teddy Bear and tea. I truly love the colors.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 4:46 AM

I'm going to catch up here. I'm so done with winter.

Sarah...Your watercolor of the food being spilled took me a second to understand but now I see what's going on. I really like the fish texture and colors! the watercolor of the seaside is really nice and looks like a neat place to see. I love the colors  and shapes in this! Your landscape with the roman horseman is really creative and yes, I agree, it does have a ghostly feel to it. Very nice work.

Claudia... I like the table with the beer etc. It all looks good and I keep needing to remind myself it's done in wax. Very interesting medium! The door knocker really turned out excellent and the wood grain it's self is a work of art!

Bonnie...The drawing of the rose is beautiful! I'm so not a flower painter but it's inspiring me to try a rose myself.

Shameer...Your warrior on horseback is really, really a good painting! The movement of his arm with the sword shows such intention!

Kem...Ahhhhh your little beanie bear with the cup is so sweet! Wonderful colors.

Hope everyone is staying warm and or surviving the winter months. I can't wait for warm weather!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 970
Points 21,290
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 4:50 AM

Hello to all who have commented on my work

Gerri...thank you...coping with the new PC has given me a headache...I felt as if the world was standing on its head let alone my landseascape!!!

When I mentioned cropping it wasn't the painting (ghostlyscape) it was the surrounding paper area I meant..... if that isn't cropped the size of the actual painting is diminished.

I take your point about the horse's head but it was meant to be the focal point  breaking into reality; the castle was the secondary point of interest with splashes connecting the two.

Thank you everyone else for the kind comments made.....good to see Marsha back again.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 970
Points 21,290
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 4:54 AM

Hello Shameer,

very lively and colourful painting especially as it was painted in a hurry.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 4:56 AM

This a combo image. It's on sketch paper and mixed media paper and this is about all I got done with the stuffed animals. After the frustration of trying to again push mixed media paper passed it's intended use I decided to break down and get my good Arches watercolor blocks out of my art cabinet and break the seal on them. I was saving them for when I was a better artist so I didn't waste that wonderful paper but I'll never move ahead if I keep trying to use mixed media paper the way I do. The sketch with the long legs was just a doodley sort of moment.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 6:36 AM

Wow Catherine.  These studies are adorable.  I  look forward to seeing them painted on your arches. 

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 970
Points 21,290
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 9:41 AM

Hello Cathy,

pleased to hear that you have decided to use the Arches paper.......your work will be even 'better' on a 'good' paper.

Remember to use the right surface for the subject if you can.... 

Looking forward to your next t piece of work

Sarah

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 9:51 AM

Hi C&C,

First time poster.   I very much need an inspiration to work faster and I think this would be a great motivator!  How do I become "part of the Monthly Challenges" ? 

Here is my copy of a painting by Frederic William Burton, "The Meeting on the Turret Stairs" (1864; also known as Hellelil and Hildebrand).  His original was watercolour, but I used acrylic paint.  I thought it seemed to fit in the medieval part of your theme.  This is a touching scene in the Lady's home/castle.  :^)

©2013 CLLewis.
Lady and Her Knight, by CLLewis.
[After Frederic William Burton's "Hellelil and Hildebrand, the Meeting on the Turret Stairs" (1864)]. 
16" x 20"
Acrylic paint.
(Sold; Private Collection)

Carol L.

C&C Welcome (be kind, I'm still learning).  :^)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 11:31 AM

Marsha & Catherine, Thanks for taking the time to c/c; appreciate that.

Marsha, our twin bears should get together for tea!

Catherine, I love the studies and agree that you're def. ready to use the "good" paper. These are lovely. If you do another of the bears, I wonder about possibly fading the tablecloth rose a bit to bring more focus to those fascinating bears, but it's just a thought.

Sarah, to have the horse break into reality is very cool. I just love that ptg..

WELCOME CL Lewis! Oh boy, you've done it now - started off with such a fab. ptg. and now we'll expect only great things to come...no pressure, ha. I'm sure the owner of this ptg. is very happy. I like your brighter colors and coloring. Love your avatar too - acrylic also? How to be a part of the monthly chall.? You already are. Just keep it up. Look fwd. to more. Claudia is doing this month, so if you have more ?s, she'd prob. be the go-to person.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 970
Points 21,290
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 11:33 AM

Hello CL,

a very good copy of the original...I can't remember all of the story and always mistook the stone pillar/wall for the leg which appears to be missing!!!!  Unless I need glasses

Why do you want to work faster?.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 970
Points 21,290
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 11:36 AM

Hello Kim,

I remember this and thought it was/is very delicate and well observed.

Sarah

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 11:39 AM

Hello CLLewis.

and welcome to the February challenge.Posting your painting here you became part of the monthly challenge.-

A wonderful contribution to this month Theme " Home is where you lay your heart", . I googled the original and I must say you did a fantastic job

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 915
cllewi3 wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 11:55 AM

Thanks Kim!  Pressure is what I need!  And yes, my selfie is also acrylic. :^)

The Burton copy was my first painting of this sort ever.  I was very pleased with how it turned out.  My prior paintings (all 4 of them) had just been cave painting style, so not nearly the level of detail, color, or shading.  I really did not think I could copy it, but my patron believed in me - and insisted I do it.  I agreed to paint it only thinking I'd show him I wasn't ready for something like this, then would talk him into something simpler, LOL.  

My true FIRST painting of any genre is below.  It would have fit the challenge's theme too, as it was for my husband's 'man cave' in our home.  And he is definitely what makes my house a HOME.  :^)  He loved it and bragged about it to all his friends, which lead to my first and second commissions.  And poof! like that, I'd finally gotten started.  (But I need that pressure until I get some confidence and speed).

Carol L.

C&C Welcome (be kind, I'm still learning).  :^)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 11:57 AM

Kim, Your Beanie with the tea cup is so cute. Nice colors, did you collect them. My husbands aunt realy got into collecting Beanies when they came out. I remember that colorful one you painted sitting on her shelf.

Catherine your studies of "Mecki and Micki°", are beautiful. I love your colored version. You putting so much work into that subject and I can see this is paying of, Could you post that colored painting again as a single image or will you do anothher one?

Marsha, good to hear from you. This was alot of catching up for you, thanks for taking the time. Just one mistake. The painting "wasted" wasn't mine. Sarah did it. I posted it for her. Computer problems;)

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 12:07 PM

I was busy this weekend fixing the perspective on this one. I hope my art teacher be happy with the changes I made.

It's a huge acrylic. First I was planning to put a chair with a reading kid in the foreground, But this window was challeging enough for the moment.

Acrylic 29" x 45"

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 35
Page 13 of 23 (337 items) « First ...  < Previous  11 12 13 14 15  Next >  ... Last » | RSS