CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Feb 2014 10:21 PM

Claudia, nice start on the still life. I agree you could shave a bit off the top.

Kim, where I see proportion problems is between the young girls and the older ladies. The girls look too small. The tea party dolls are the right size with the ladies but the girls seem small even if you intended them to be further back.  

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,355
Claudia S. wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 2:16 AM

Thank you Nealey and Jen for your input and motivation. See what I can do about the hat;)

Bonnie I forgot to answer your question about the lemon. To make a weisswurst, lemonpowder is used in the receipe.I few people cook the wurst in water with lemonpeel. Important is, if you ever travel to Bavaria, never eat the peel!!! And use sweet mustard!!!And order beer!!!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 5:30 AM

I've been working on a first attempt at a graphite of the little bears and will post a couple of those pictures as soon as I get my comments in.

Charlie...I really like both of your cars! I like the red one the best and really think you did an excellent job at the reflections and colors in it's headlight. Very nice work on that.

Kim...Your street scene is so pretty and has such nice crisp lines and good colors! The figures are great and also really well done.

Claudia...Your encaustic on wood is coming along nicely. I don't know anything about that medium but it seems like it might be time consuming. I'm anxious to see your finished work on this.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 5:37 AM

This is to give you some idea of how teeny this graphite of the bears is. I started out to get a sense of the size and relationships of them and because they are so sweet I ended up getting technical with them. lol The drawing is 4x4 inch using a mechanical pencil and a putty eraser on a piece of paper that is 18x12.  I'm going to do some more sketches on this same piece of paper and that is why the bears are up in the corner.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 5:44 AM

Here is a close up of the bears. I used a soft charcoal pencil to try to darken the background but stopped short of getting fussy as this exercise was to get a sense of things and this is only sketch paper. I need to work on the turn of the head on the bear on the left but will try on the next sketch. It was hard to get a good, crisp picture and I think learning to use this old camera will be my goal for the year. ( I can see I need to put the lighter edge back in on the left side of the shoe on the far right) I will correct that.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,355
Claudia S. wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 6:54 AM

Catherine, this is a beautiful "sketch" ( I think it's more like a miniature drawing and should get framed), you did so well on the shading of the faces and all the cloth. The flowers on the pillow with the slight curve in it is also well done. I love it!!!

Thank you for the comment on my encaustic. Encaustic is not to time consuming,but the perspective on this is giving me problems. I worked on it this morning and it is coming along.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 7:03 AM

Hello,  just a pop in to see what everyone is up to .   I am home sick with the flu...  head is throbbing.... I don't dare bend over..

Claudia:  you encaustic of the Carnival costumed charactor is amazing.   wow what patience you have.

Kim:  the 3D is beautiful   I really so like the houses in the background and the atmospheric feel of them.  Perspective wise,  hmmmm  the two ladies dominate the center like a bulls eye.  but,  each element is absolutely beautifully done

Claudia: your start on the beer and pretzels etc, is coming along,  I think you are right,,, crop the top. and maybe the right side.    remember the thirds law as well as the sweet spot rule. 

Joyce... so nice to see you....  

Charlie,   great cars,  I need some front end work on one of mine,   maybe I should call on you....    I can't open my drivers door...  I wish paint would cure it.  I also think a wheel bearing is going out... your cars have withstood the cast of time.   

Catherine your little dolls are darling.   so well shaded.   great job with the graphite...  I would spray fix that one and frame it...  darling....boy if thoses don't cheer you up a bit,  not much will...  job well well done

Sarah: what a beautiful rose...  georgeous.

Susan,, I see your sitting in the shade....

Karen:    hmmmmmmm  and the mystery continues.

Jen,   glad to see you are still working on that canoe...  

Geri,   The game sucked on Sunday....   I could have used one of those Bavarian Beers....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 7:05 AM

Catherine, your bears have come to life. I love them. Lots of lights and darks to bring out their features and the pillow with the flowers is also well done. Very nice.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 4:16 PM

Catherine, Nealey, and Marsha, thanks for the c/c and also to Jen & Claudia for your addt'l. input. All helpful and apprec..

Jen, the girls in my ptg are memories so that's why I didn't try to size for reality. I think making it more clear they're memories would help and then sizing would not be an issue. I had created something similar yrs. ago with family pics. and had watercolor for the current time and pencil for the memories; may think about that (and recycle these girls?).

Claudia, changing the girls' posit. would chg. the dynamics since everything in the comp. now comes from the central figures which was purposeful. I'll play with it later, but have other projects to get done as a priority. I'll re-post when I do though. Thanks for the sug.; much appreciated.

Marsha, As mentioned above, I wanted elements coming from the central char., yet I don't see it as a bullseye visually (top of their hair is ctr., but faces are lower and the eye is directed to the  lower area of the pie offering). Thanks for your time and input.

CATHERINE - Your sketch looks super. I'm glad you put so much effort into it. I also think it looks rather finished vs. sketch; a bit more variation in the BG would set it off really well and give an even more completed look.

CLAUDIA - I wonder if you trace the orig. photo's "circles" just to see those lines vs. all the distraction of form, if that would help to see the amt. that needs to be adjusted on the ptg.. By now you may have it all solved though.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,547
Points 51,905
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 6:02 PM

Catherine, thank you.  Cute bears!!!

Marsha, thank you.  I do not work on them, just paint them on paper. haha

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 570
Points 9,090
NealeyPea wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 6:43 PM

Hi Catherine!  This is a wonderful and finished ( in my opinion) drawing of the bears.  Their little faces are textured just right!  The flowers are great too!  Are you going to attempt this in color??

Marsha, sorry you have been sick. Angry  And I agree that Sunday's game sucked.   I was looking forward to a close match.  Oh well, by-product was...I got hooked on watching the WALKING DEAD marathon on another channel, from the first episode, lol.  Had never watched it before!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 678
Points 11,025
karend84 wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 7:44 PM

Okay Marsha I added an avatar.  Not the greatest pic.  I'm the one with the blue top.  Taken with my sister in law and the painting I did for her.

I'lll get to comments later.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 8:14 PM

I've decided that even with me living here in Canada for the past 40+ years my home is we're I grew up.  Maybe I live in the past so I'm planning on doing a few sketches from my past but to do this I'm also doing Susanrae's past.  Stay tune my friends!

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 8:22 PM

Charlie, nice paintings the LaSalle is really nice and the other front end of the car different I like them both.  

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 5 Feb 2014 8:26 PM

Kim wow!  Your Friends Recalling painting is beautiful, the 3~d application adds to the painting.  What a good idea.

Joyce

Page 4 of 23 (337 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS