CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 2 Feb 2014 6:33 AM

Charlie,

Both paintings are fantastic! The setting chosen for the cars made it a good composition.

I liked the red one alittle bit better because of the detail and design of the bumper and tire. This had nothing to do with the fact that it is a german car.

What i also liked about the red one was how you handled the difficult perspective.

Your friend must be very happy with the green car. I'm sure he will treasure this.

Glad you liked the selected photos and I hope we see more of your works this month.I remember your two encaustics, Encaustic is a great medium for abstacts!

Charlie and Kim thank you for your kind comments on my painting, always apprechiated

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 949
Points 13,750
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Feb 2014 8:20 AM

Claudia, what a fantastic character. I agree with Catherine and find all the checks a little intimidating. You did them very well and I can't imagine sewing them but they do create a great costume. These costumes have such bright vivid colours very eye catching. Wonderful encaustic, will be looking forward to seeing more of these. Hope your enjoying the festivities this weekend.

Charlie, great "37 La Salle" and "Bus". I really like the colours and chrome in the watercolour, it has a nice smoothness to the vehicle. The "Bus" is much bolder in colour but I like how you can see the suspension under the fender, lots of chrome. Nicely done.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,054
Points 49,080
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 2 Feb 2014 4:25 PM

Kim, Claudia and Bonnie,  thank you.  Yes I think I over did the colors in the pavement.  Much difference between the look of watercolor and acrylic in theses two works.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 2 Feb 2014 9:58 PM

"Friends Recalling" - Had done this (9x12 approx.),  watercolor ptg. some time ago, but thought it fit the theme this month. Sorry this is so blurry - orig. is not, but I have a new comp. and progs. to struggle with.

You can prob. tell that the figures were cut out and applied over - they stick up with tabs of w/c paper to keep fwd.. This was not intended to be a gimmick. Had probs. getting the figures how I wanted and I didn't trust myself then to work directly on the orig. ptg. so I cut them out when done on extra paper. Tried to turn lemons into lemonade by putting it together as 3-D application, like a story illus. pg..

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,054
Points 49,080
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 2 Feb 2014 10:21 PM

Kim, this is VERY nice.  I like the way you did it like 3_D.  Very good detail on the houses too. 

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,814
Points 46,840
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Feb 2014 12:01 AM

Wow everyone is going gang busters!

Sarah, You got off the first one. Nice bright rose painting.

Claudia, I really like how you got the texture of this guys mask, and the suggestion of rough cloth on his clothing. really well done.

Charlie, the green car is very well done and I love the bus. it reminds me of home and the old busses.

Kim. this is a lovely painting. the houses are so well done and although the proportions on the stuck on figures are a little off the whole painting gives a lovely feeling of old fashioned home and family. love it!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 3 Feb 2014 3:35 AM

Kim , I agree with Jen totally. The perspective on the houses is absolutly perfect. I love all the details on the houses, trees and people. Since the people are stuck on, can you still move them around? I remember street gatherngs from the neighborhood I grew up in. I always loved them. Yes, this fits the theme pefect.

Jen, Kim, Bonnie, thank you for your comments on my encaustic painting.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 3 Feb 2014 7:35 AM

I know I had a head start, since I knew which photos were coming.

This one is still in work and I'm wondering if I should crop the top of the board.

It's encaustic on wood

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,054
Points 49,080
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 3 Feb 2014 1:01 PM

Claudia, looks very good, I would crop it a little.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 949
Points 13,750
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 3 Feb 2014 6:20 PM

Kim, a lovely painting of the "Friends Recalling". The street of houses is very nice. Your people look good except that they look like they are floating. It is just their feet don't seem to be planted on the ground. But as you can tell they are applied on top it doesn't really matter. It is a lovely watercolour.

Claudia, you are coming along with your encaustic. I was wondering if you have the lemon for the beer or for something else. I think I agree with Charlie in that it could be cropped on the top. However, I think it is hard to tell until more is done.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 4 Feb 2014 8:31 AM

Thanks Charlie, Jen, Claudia, and Bonnie!

Jen, I see the lady in the blue dress could use fixing with her ext. arm (mainly it looks stiff to me, and perhaps a touch long), but you can let me know what else strikes you re. proportion.

Claudia, I could move the figures.... The youthful figures are memories, but I know it's not super clear since they are painted as vivid as the old ladies. If I had to re-do, I'd do them in a paler version. I may just pull this apart and re-think it. Thanks for the input.

Bonnie, the old ladies stand out the most to me in terms of needing that grounding shadow, but it may be a mute point anyway if I pull this apart. The girls on the right are not fully shown - legs & the crate are cut off, etc., so showing a shadow for them is a lot trickier but I prob. could have done more.

Have given me things to ponder. Thanks.

Claudia, I think cropping depends on what you want to focus on and how you want things to flow with the eye. Right now I get the feeling that you want the viewer to see these items as having slid down the table, ready to grab. It's a sense of movement. By taking off a bit, it'd focus more on the subj. items; still have lots of surrounding table so there'd still be that movement. Another opt. is to crop even more and have the bowl cut off to bring focus to the front - lemons, and have the table less prominent. Never a cut-dried answer.

Claudia, this one is tricky since it's hard to get all the curves just right for this perspective. Some things appear tipped up vs. resting on the table. Even the lemon slice - chk. to have its skin show so it's not tipped up full view. I don't imagine things are easy to adjust with encaustic on wood so I hesitate to mention, but certainly it's easier to chk. now vs. later. Your colors are a nice balance and it appears there'll be some good texture here, so lots of good things going on. This is such an interesting subj. and medium to use - look fwd. to it being finished.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 4 Feb 2014 8:45 AM

PS: Forgot to mention, Joyce, like your updated avatar!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 4 Feb 2014 1:56 PM

Nice avatar, JoyceYes. Didn't notice till Kim said so.

Thank you Kim, I worked on the perspective a bit ( Pretzel, Lemon and table). It was totally off. But it is difficult for me to figure out how it is right. So it is a challenge.

Bonnie and Charlie, I will probably crop it. Alot of dead space.

Thank's for the input!!!

Kim, if you can move the figures, did you try to swap the Ladies in the middlie with the two girls on the right site. Would that make a difference?

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 454
Points 7,070
NealeyPea wrote
on 4 Feb 2014 6:37 PM

Claudia ~ Good start on the still life but I miss the hat - my favorite part!!  Hey, it's all a matter of opinion so don't go by me.Wink  Also love your encaustic of the carnival character - very cool!  I love their costumes.  Hope you took some good pics this year.

Charlie ~ Both of your paintings are good, but I find the bus so interesting with the perspective & the suspension showing.  Good job!

Kim ~ You did a nice WC.  I esp. like how your architecture was painted.  Your "add-on" figures are so well painted.  The picture does tell a story!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,054
Points 49,080
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 4 Feb 2014 7:18 PM

Nealey, thank you.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed