CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 721
Points 12,170
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 3:12 PM

Claudia, great pictures to chose from and we have a theme too love it.  I like the idea of February being home maybe I will paint something from home.  Excited to see all the wonderful sketches and paintings to come this month, let the month come I'm ready.  Joyce

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 5:08 PM

Sarah, wonderful rose. I'm so glad there are some flowers in this challenge. I was secretly hoping. I love to see everyone's flower paintings. Yours as the first one is great. I am with Catherine and am amazed at the lovely dark background and am so glad you gave us your method to create this. I was wondering do you paint the rose firs?. I would have trouble not getting the dark background in the rose if I did it first. Just wondering. Your red/yellow makes for a beautiful rose.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,185
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 8:23 PM

Claudia ~ You & your husband are wonderful photographers.  It's so nice to see items & scenery from where you live.  Thanks for ALL  of the choices you have given us!

Sarah ~ A rose for Valentine's day!  It's lovely, as all your watercolors are.  And thanks for your helpful painting information.  Much appreciated!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 17,210
Hearadh wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 3:21 AM

Hello Bonnie,

no, I work all over a painting/drawing because I think the background is as important as the subject.  A limited palette makes for harmony when used in the background/foreground.

Thank you for your comments.....appreciated. 

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 17,210
Hearadh wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 3:24 AM

Hello Nealey,

thank you for commenting and hope my explanation was of use.

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 17,210
Hearadh wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 3:26 AM

Hello to everyone,

I will be offline for about a week as my current PC is being updated/replaced.

Hope to see some super work when I return.

Sarah

Sarah

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 370
Points 8,105
Claudia S. wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 1:45 PM

Catherine, Joyce and Nealey, thank you!, Your're welcome. I hope you're all busy painting and drawing right now.

Sarah,looking forward to see you back by the end of the week.Without your PC you will have all all this extra time to paint and draw.

We have a big Fasching/ Karneval celebration this weekend. Today was the kid parade. Tomorrow is the big parade. It be fun to see all the traditional dressed up groups. Most of them have hand carved masks and all the costumes are hand sewn.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 370
Points 8,105
Claudia S. wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 1:54 PM

One of my early encaustics, I want to do some more of those characters this month.

This is my challenge.

cs

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 2:38 PM

Very cool Claudia! I thought those characters were really interesting but those checkered outfits stopped me dead in my tracks lol. I'm leaning towards the two stuffed animals on the quilt. The expression on their faces is so charming. It will give me a chance to try Sarah's suggestion for laying in dark background washes with the watercolor.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 370
Points 8,105
Claudia S. wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 5:14 PM

Catherine , those checkered outfits are all hand sewn every little inch, I rather paint them than sew them.

Yes, please go for the stuffed animals. I treasure them. Looking forward to see the painted version.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,428
Points 44,715
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 5:45 PM

"37 La Salle", 9" x 12" watercolor, 7-09-2013

This was painted from a picture that a FB friend posted.  i believe the car belonged to his dad.  I sent him my painting.

"Bus", 9" x 12" acrylic on mat board, 5-14-2013

This was a bus I saw while in Germany.  It was used to delver clocks, candy and gifts.

I hope to do more of these paintings.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,428
Points 44,715
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 5:50 PM

Sarah. BEAUTIFUL water color!!!

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,428
Points 44,715
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 5:55 PM

Claudia, Very nice!!!  I like encaustic but have only done two abstracts in it.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 315
Points 5,485
Kim513 wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 11:06 PM

Claudia, what a great selection; thanks for all that work! Your encaustic is great, so colorful. I esp. like the BG with it. Hope U meet your goal - always love to see your work!

Sarah, your rose is so intense (not easy) that the BG works perfectly; esp. love the tattered edge of the one petal.

Charlie, both your pts. have great qualities, esp. comp.. The brick pavement is distracting for me (color and ind. of every line) in the 2nd one, so I prefer the 1st one but you did a nice job showing detail on the bus. The green one has colors that harmonize quite well. These are so interesting to view; make a great pair hung together. Nice job.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 315
Points 5,485
Kim513 wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 11:07 PM

Susan, love your new avatar!Yes

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!