CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014

This post has 336 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 4:38 AM

Welcome to ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE #40 - February 2014 

Challenge: Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure. In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

I just couldn't decide so here are a lot of photos to choose from. Most pictures are taken by me or by my husband unless otherwise marked. If you want items photographed in different angles or single items photographed, just ask.  But please ask my permission if you are not affiliated with Artist Daily or are not a part of the Monthly Challenges...   thank you.

This month theme: Home is where you lay you heart.

Anything that makes your home special qualifies!

Target Posting Date:    February 1, 2014 -February 28, 2014

Be sure to post your work here in this thread so our challenges won't get confused with each other.

The home where I laid my heart was underwater 201 Million years ago and creatures like the Nautilus pompilius lived here.

Evidence we found in our yard.

Celtic tribes settled here too. And the river Altmühl was called Alcmona (slow water).

Then the romans came and build the Limes, a border that divided the Roman Empire from the Barbarian tribes.

In the Middle Ages a lot of castles were built through the valley. My home is my castle. No, this is not my house.

In the late Baroque period this church was decorated with fresco painting by the Asam brothers. This one is the only one they did on a flat ceiling. Its magnificence is that if you stand on one spot in the church all the pillars are straight, and then as you move through the church, the perspective of everything changes.

But your or my house is more than a pretty place to stay. It protects us from the Elements. A few of us had to deal with intense weather conditions, like floods, storms and freezing temperatures.

After the storm

A rainy day Public Domain http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=35431&picture=kind-und-regen

Fire keeps our houses warm, too.

In the old days.

And the new days

But even more important than a protective house are friends and family. That's where you lay your heart. Happy Valentines day.

Gingerbread heart, my oldest son got from his girlfriend.

Flowers for your valentine.

Public Domain photo http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=19655&picture=rose-in-der-hand&large=1

Love Padlocks (the watercolor magazine had some nice examples)

Wiki Commons , Public domain photo/Pont des Arts  Author :Cha già José from Vienna, Austria

Music is in the house!

"In Harmonie vereint" means, „united in harmony" no Jazz but written for Alto Saxophone.

Special things you collect or treasure because they have a special meaning. I collect tin toys.

Stuffed animals my mom owned when she was little.

Have a nice cup of tea or coffee in your home?

Paint to bring color into your live!

Enjoy your garden

wiki commons public domain

Read a good book.

18. Book Public domain http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.ph

p?image=37785&picture=kind-und-buch

And since all this is in Bavaria, beer has to get served!

Traditions make your home special. This month in some parts of the world Carneval, Karneval, Fasching and Mardi Gras are celebrated. My home has its own characters. They swing their whips and make a lot of noise.

... with whip, tomake noise to scare the winter away

The kids shout "Gösucht" and get candy.

Sometime you leave your home to see the world and how other people live.

Croatia, Rovinji and In Turkey, people lived and some are still living in caves in these weird rock formations. (picture taken by my Dad).

And a home has windows and doors to look out and come in.

And we can't forget our animal friends.

And for some guys their car...

Audi is the biggest employer in the area.

Decorative houses

Happy painting!!!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 10:45 AM

Wow, Claudia, you outdid yourself! What a wonderful collection of references as well as a tour of your homeland. There is something for everyone here. Thank you so much for hosting! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,533
Points 24,595
Berkenstock wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 1:04 PM

Claudia anyone not finding something to paint or draw here has something wrong with them.  Thank you.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 6:06 PM

OH CLAUDIA, these are wonderful, exciting, colorful and a theme  story of love is very well put together.   I already can feel the love in the air.   Thank you for your time and effort to put ALL of these lovely photos together.  We all have something in our homes that we keep and share with love I'm sure we all will find something here.   loving it.....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 7:33 PM

Cluadia, wonderful theme and photos. It is great to see a glimpse of another part of the world. A very interesting mix of subjects and it will be hard to make a choice of what to do. Thank you so much for hosting this month's challenge.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 681
Points 11,025
karend84 wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 12:39 AM

Claudia a fabulous group of photos and a wonderful theme you have chosen.  Thanks for all the work.  Now can we add some days to February.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 12:46 AM

Jen, Geri, Marsha and Bonnie, Thank you.

I  forgot to mention. February is a short month and the reason for so many pictures is that you should pain,paint, draw, draw....

One a day;)

So pick up your brushes, pencils, pastels

I' m looking forward  seeing you guys  art!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 12:52 AM

wow Claudia, you have really opened this month up, since its where our hearts lie at home, I hope to do a sunset and our pool. A challenge for me since water is difficult. Thank you. I love all of our artist friends who post and take the time to comment and help each one of us. I appreciate each one of you and hope to participate more often. Thank you   Asusanrae

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 12:56 AM

Karen, we must have posted at the same time, so thank you to you ,too.

I hope my first post answers your questionBig Smile

But late posts are always welcome!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:02 AM

Hello Susan, thank you for your kind words. I do hope we will see your pool scene here this month!!!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,325
Hearadh wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 3:29 AM

Hello Claudia,

I  did respond yesterday but my PC is playing up at the moment as you well know!!!

I echo what everyone else has said about the ref. photos....terrific selection...so thank you for going to so much trouble to inspire us.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,325
Hearadh wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 3:38 AM

Hello Claudia.........

A red/yellow rose for you, painted last year!    Water colour this time.

Sarah

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 3:56 AM

Sarah,Thank you for the beautiful rose. The colours of the rose combined with the dark background let it stand out and made me want to grap it and put it in vase.

I will print it out and put it on my fridge instead. I don't need to water it then.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 6:01 AM

Claudia...Wow! These great challenge photos! So many to choose from too!

Sarah...What a beautiful rose!! How the heck do you get the background so even and dark using watercolors? When I try that it looks horrible.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,325
Hearadh wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 11:02 AM

Hello Cathy,...........I built it up with glazes..the background colour is painted almost as dark as I want it to be as soon as possible, .takes time but if you could see the original you would just be able to make out purples/dark blues and bronze splodges. The board I work on is  placed levelly, the background area is dampened I drop in the colours and let them mingle.. Let it dry thoroughly  each time before adding another layer   (let it dry naturally, if you use a hair dryer it will leave a rim or cauliflowers). I think you just have to take the plunge and remember that watercolour dries much lighter than you expect it to...and you can lift off areas that you don't like! The colours I use are transparent which are easier to 'lift'. The paper I use is  almost like cardboard.

Hope this is useful.

Sarah

Sarah

Page 1 of 23 (337 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS