Critique this please! It's ok to be harsh.

This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 24 Jan 2014 8:04 PM

Help me! I'm working on realism, I'm only 13 so its not that great but I want to learn. Any advice? I would love to learn more. It's ok to be harsh. :)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 379
Points 5,835
on 25 Jan 2014 11:57 AM

This rose is a rose is a rose.  Very nicely done.  Near the bottom of your drawing you have a deep shadow colour, I think you could have a little more of this dark shading in places.  There are two large shaded areas in the middle of the rose - you could go deep closest to the centre and shade it out to the value you have now.  That would bring out the centre more..  And perhaps to the back petal a little darker there and shade out to have the centre pop out a bit more and separate from the centre part.  The shading under the rose/front could be quite dark and fade out.  You could take your kneaded eraser and bring out the highlights a bit more in places.  You put the shading in and you take some out, kind of a push and pull, more shading in and blending and erasing.  You have a good eye, keep up the good work.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 25 Jan 2014 1:39 PM

Thank you so much! I'll work on it.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 1,925
Alan Bateman wrote
on 26 Jan 2014 10:10 AM

nice drawing and good advice from valeriemalley. I would add to be careful with the black lines outlining everything. It helps to make the drawing look solid, but if you are going for realism the lines are not there in real life. Keep using shading to make on pedal stand out from the other. You should be looking at your subject matter (a real rose, or a photo) more than you look at your drawing. I would have been very happy to have done this drawing at 13.

ab

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 26 Jan 2014 10:59 AM

Thank you for that helpful advice, This was just an experiment really. I will most likely redo this rose or a temp a different kind of flower using the advice I have been given. Thank you again!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 606
Points 5,275
on 26 Jan 2014 11:24 AM

Blue Eyes—

You're doing great. Just keep drawing and keep having fun at it.

I'll tell you the same thing that I tell every artist who is just starting, "You learn to draw by drawing." The reason I tell you and other young artists that is because it was told to me at your age—and I know it works. Drawing is the foundation of all the other visual arts. That's not my opinion. That is Michelangelo's opinion on how important drawing is for an artist.

One of the wonderful things about drawing is that much of it can be self taught. Like any true skill, it is an ability that is acquired through practice. I usually recommend that a beginning artist purchase a couple of books on how to draw and use the books as workbooks. Work with them lesson by lesson, day by day. Draw and sketch when ever you can. Then, a year from now, draw that same rose again and you will be amazed at the improvement.

What you are going to be learning is how to put your thoughts—your impressions—of the world around you on paper to share with others. Now—show the world just how good an artist you can be.

Best of luck.

Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 26 Jan 2014 12:41 PM

Wow, thank you so much Paul! Really, I'm truly thankful. That is a wonderful idea! I really hope to be semi-good when I grow up. I practice drawing every day by watching videos or just by going outside and drawing a tree. I really like the idea of owning books though! do you have any you would suggest? And If so, were would I buy them? 

-Blueeyes

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 606
Points 5,275
on 27 Jan 2014 3:13 PM

Blueeyes—

You asked me to recommend a few books on how to draw. Here are a few good ones:

• "Pencil Drawing" by Gene Franks...$8.96
• "The Art of Pencil Drawing" by Gene Franks....$14.46
• "Drawing People: How to draw the clothed figure" by Barbara Bradley... $20.00
• "Successful Drawing" by Andrew Loomis....$22.52
• "Drawing Heads and Hands" by Andrew Loomis....$23.27

All of these are available at Amazon.com
Take a look at them and see what you think. The third one, "Drawing people..." looks like a good one to learn sketching techniques. The author has an excellent style. The fourth and fifth ones on the list, "Successful Drawing" and "Drawing Heads and Hands", were originally published many years ago but they are wonderful books.

There is no one book that will give you all the instruction you need. Start with a couple and go from there. The trick is to stick with your program of self training. What you are doing in these next four years can possibly give you direction for a career and skills for a lifetime.

There is an additional book that is advanced but may be of interest to a young girl like yourself, "Figure: How to Draw the Figure with Impact" by Sharon Pinsker. This deals with high-style fashion drawing and the author is very good.

Best of luck,

Paul

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 28 Jan 2014 7:21 AM

Thank you so much for your help! I will certainly order some of these. I will continue to post some of my drawings when I feel I need help, Thank you so much Paul!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
4sadie wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 6:36 PM

you have captured the rose very well, however the dark black of the outline detracts from the shadows and highlights.  If you can soften the outline I would say you are well on your way to realism 

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 9:09 PM

Thank you! Will do :)

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 9:09 PM

Thank you! Will do :)

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 250
on 9 Feb 2014 4:46 AM

nice advice and critique from you and the others. I hope BLueEyes keeps drawing!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS