Painting Ruined???????

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
joysjunque wrote
on 7 Jan 2014 4:16 PM

I had put 2 oil paintings (on canvas board) in my oven with a pilot light for quicker drying.  A relative was at my house, and without my knowing she turned the oven on to bake.  The smoke detector came on after about 5 minutes.  I immediately yanked the paintings out of the oven.  Parts of the canvas had bubbled out from the board and the board had curved and distorted.  When the paintings cooled, I was able  to cut along the seam of the canvas on the back side and peel the canvas from the boards.  The paintings are bubbled and warped up and down.

Does anyone know if there is a way to salvage these so I can glue to another board?  I would very much like to keep these painting.  I could paint them again, but feel that the second attempt is never as good as the first.  I thought possibly soaking them in water to saturate the cloth, maybe I might be able to straightened them   Any suggestions??????  PLEASE??????   

Thanks for your attention.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
on 11 Jan 2014 9:15 AM

Hi Smile I haven't logged in for a while but if you're still struggling I'll try helping. Do you have any photos of the board and painting so I can see the damage and have a think? If the paintings still look good or at least 'saveable' to you I can see why you'd want to remove them from burnt up boards. I'm just wondering if the boards are bent or still straight, but look burnt? I suppose you could try sanding off any bad bits behind the painting if that's the only  problem, or glue another board behind so long as the original board isn't shrinking and taking the cloth with it. Pictures would help me though I'm not sure of the damage myself to suggest any more

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
joysjunque wrote
on 15 Jan 2014 10:19 AM

I sent pictures a couple of days ago.  Wondered if you got them.  I am not sure how these posts work, so hope you got the pictures and will be able to help.  Don't mean to rush you....just anxious.  Thanks, Joy

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS