Challenge CHATTER - 2014

This post has 501 Replies | 17 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 14 Jul 2014 5:21 AM

Hello Jen...sorry to hear about your fall and hope Howard  is recovering too...

my daughter has been having treatment/ops for a detached  retina for two and a half years now. A custom made new lens was inserted after a year but had to be removed early this year because it was being rejected. Stitches were taken out last week. Further treatment will be required  .but at least we know she has been having the best eye surgeon looking after her.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 521
Points 8,125
NealeyPea wrote
on 18 Jul 2014 6:58 PM

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer!  Jen, I missed the posts about your husband's surgery And your fall - so sorry and hope you are both getting better this week.

And Sarah, best thoughts go out to you for your daughter's vision treatments.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 981
Points 14,300
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 19 Jul 2014 9:00 PM

Nealey, just had a lovely summer day participating as an observer on our Island's Art Tour. The event lasts three days and there are locations spread out over the Island where you can go and view pieces of art and in most places chat with the artists. You do have to select the ones you want to see (not possible to see them all) so I try and avoid the gallery's because you can go to them anytime and visit the sites set up for the event. It is very inspiring and worthwhile seeing all the art and different venues. My favorite piece was a wooden frame with a side and bottom panel of bamboo placed together on top of the frame and behind them filling the frame were small pieces of curved pottery of soft pale brown and soft white hanging by nylon filament. It was called "Snow Birds".  It was part of a 4 element project, quite interesting art pieces and although I'm not a big fan of that type of art, it is the display I am thinking the most about, maybe because it was different. Anyway, an enjoyable summer event. I hope everyone else is enjoying their summer as well.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 20 Jul 2014 4:13 AM

Hello Nealey...stitches have been removed but it seems the pressure behind her eye must be at a certain level before he can do anything else.

Hello Bonnie,

Sounds like our Open Studios events. Groups of artist's all over the UK, amateur and professional open up their studios or hire a Hall to show their work to the public. I don't participate due to the cost of it all and the stress involved. If I sold any work the tax I would have to pay  (classed as income) is prohibitive. 

You seem to have had a very interesting time of it on your tour......the local Art Society here, which has members from a very wide area, holds two major exhibitions, one in the Spring and one in the Autumn. I used to be a member but resigned due to personal circumstances, mainly to do with transport.  Are you a member of an art group?

Sarah

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 20 Jul 2014 5:15 AM

Bonnie, your island art tour sounds so interesting. When I lived in Southern California, I used to love the art walks a city there hosted, which featured visits to artists' studios.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 981
Points 14,300
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 20 Jul 2014 9:43 AM

Sarah, I did have a very interesting time and may try and visit a show at the local museum today. The artist is someone I grew up with here and is now one of my neighbours. Although we have both lived elsewhere we find ourselves now living within a mile of our childhood homes. The tour is very time consuming as the Island is one hundred miles long and time is spent driving however a lot of the sites are homes on lakes etc. and you get a look at some lake vistas you don't normally see. And no, I don't belong to an organization. There is a Manitoulin Fine Arts Association and although I considered joining, I have a hard time visualizing myself as a real artist that would belong to a group such as this. We also have wonderful Native artists on the Island with several galleries located on the Reserves. Native arts and crafts are very popular. And now the relatively newly developed 4elements organization includes I believe the term is installation art. It is nice to see the artist community developing in this rural area.

Alex, nice to see you again. Great photo. I can understand that you would love the art walks in California. It sounds similar only yours was a walk as we have to do a lot of driving but the same concept. Very enjoyable.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 10,320
karend84 wrote
on 23 Jul 2014 9:28 AM

Thanks for all the nice comments.  Here is another from a wet canvas challenge.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 23 Jul 2014 9:53 AM

Karen, this iris is lovely! The dark background really makes it pop and the highlights where the light touches the petals are beautiful.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 521
Points 8,125
NealeyPea wrote
on 23 Jul 2014 6:04 PM

Karen, what a realistic painting of an Iris!  The highlights and shadows of this flower are a great study.   BRAVO!  (Is this oil?)

Bonnie it sounds like you had an interesting Artist Tour.  I wish I could have seen the Native Art from that area. :)

Alex, what a nice photo of you!  Makes me think that maybe we should do another self-portrait challenge!

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 981
Points 14,300
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 23 Jul 2014 7:49 PM

Karen, lovely work. The yellow petals are wonderful with the light shining through them, they just glow. Beautiful painting. As Alex mentioned the background makes the iris pop.

Nealey, I only saw one Native artist work on the tour. The work he displayed had a raven theme, with almost abstract grasses or trees. I enjoyed them and the slightly different approach was interesting and well done.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 24 Jul 2014 3:31 AM

Hello Karen,

lovely flower painting.

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Jul 2014 9:53 AM

Karen, what a beautiful yellow Iris. You really captured the delicate flowing petals and subtle colour shifts. Is it a water colour or oils?

i only have a few more days up here in the Windy City. I am having a wonderful time! Apparently there were some big storms back home though and a big old shade tree next to studio fell over,  but fortunately fell away from our building! 

Be back soon! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 10,320
karend84 wrote
on 25 Jul 2014 9:26 AM

Thanks Alex, Nealey, Bonnie, Sarah and Jen.  I forgot to post the medium.  It is oil on 11x14 board.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 521
Points 8,125
NealeyPea wrote
on 28 Jul 2014 8:58 PM

Hello everyone!  I have been looking through past posts....I know someone gave very good instructions on how to post the Monthly Challenge.  August is this Friday & I'm the lucky moderator!!!  I think I have all the photos I want in a folder.  I will need HELP - THANK YOU.Confused

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 10,320
karend84 wrote
on 29 Jul 2014 6:20 PM

Nealey most of the work is in the folder.  Just copy the heading ( instructions) then upload pics as normal.  When all are uploaded hit post.  Don't forget to send Courtney a heads up. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Page 29 of 34 (502 items) « First ...  < Previous  27 28 29 30 31  Next >  ... Last » | RSS