Challenge CHATTER - 2014

This post has 664 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 2 Jul 2014 3:06 PM

Hello all, the July challenge is now posted. You are all a hard act to follow when it comes to beautiful and inspiring photos!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 684
Points 11,055
karend84 wrote
on 7 Jul 2014 6:22 PM

Finally finished Pittsburgh.  Not signed yet but my impatient husband framed it.  24x30 oil o. Canvas

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 684
Points 11,055
karend84 wrote
on 7 Jul 2014 6:33 PM

W.I.P. This is a 12x15 panel.  We bought Luan at home depot and Bob cut some sizes for me.  This is the first time priming my own panel.  I like the feel.  The reference is from the acrylic challenge on wet canvas.  I'm getting the feel for acrylic.  The turtle is done.  I need to add some seaweed to the water.  Then on to Alex's July challenge.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Jul 2014 6:54 PM

Karen, I can see why your husband was so anxious to frame this.  You have done an excellent job of a complex subject. The yellow bridge over the blue water brings that all forward nicely and the city looks great in the Bg. 

I also like the swimming Turtle. There is a nice sense of water implied around the turtle and the turtle is well done.

i started an underwater scene but I haven't got into it. The holiday took  a chunk of time out of my studio work and dr appointments have also infringed.

Howard has Cataract surgery on Thursday so another day missed! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 7 Jul 2014 7:07 PM

Hi Karen, you are so productive! Although I recognize and like the Pittsburgh painting (the firm I worked for for almost two decades designed Noth Shore Connector as well as many other local transportation projects), there is something about the turtle, it's patterns and colors, that just speaks to me. How beautiful!

Jen, warmest thoughts for Howard's surgery on Thursday.

Alex

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 684
Points 11,055
karend84 wrote
on 7 Jul 2014 11:24 PM

Thank you Alex and Jen.  I'm really happy to be done with Pittsburgh.  I didn't think I'd get it done.  The turtle is moving along should finish seaweed next day off.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,539
Points 24,670
Berkenstock wrote
on 8 Jul 2014 1:33 PM

Karen Pittsburg never looked so good. well dome and the turtle is very nice too.  My wife would like it she is a turtle nut.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,539
Points 24,670
Berkenstock wrote
on 8 Jul 2014 1:44 PM

Just stopped in to see what is going on.  I am still sans computer and have to go to the library to post and they don't have anyway to load photos so hopefully soon

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,340
Hearadh wrote
on 9 Jul 2014 6:22 AM

Hello Karen,

agree with the other's regarding c/'s of the cityscape and turtle.

My ONLY quibble would be that the 'city' has no visible signs of life (cars/boats) but again maybe you wanted it as purely topographical?

My thumb/wrist is on the mend so hope to try painting this weekend.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 589
Points 9,365
NealeyPea wrote
on 9 Jul 2014 9:26 AM

Karen ~ You did a great job on your Pittsburgh painting; it is sunny and warm!  Glad you are liking the acrylics now.  I always found them easier to work with myself.  The turtle is coming along nicely, although the background looks like clouds, not water.  Just my opinion.....

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 684
Points 11,055
karend84 wrote
on 10 Jul 2014 9:07 AM

Jen I hope everything went well with Howards cataract surgery yesterday.  Thanks Geri, Sarah and Nealy for the comments.  Sarah I see what you mean, I'll think about adding some cars or boats.  Nealy, I hope the seaweed made the water less lime clouds.  

Finished turtle.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 589
Points 9,365
NealeyPea wrote
on 10 Jul 2014 12:38 PM

Yes Karen!  Nice finished work of the turtle.  His flippers - legs(?) are esp. awesome!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jul 2014 1:32 PM

Karen, great finish. The wisps of seaweed really gave it depth. 

Yes thanks Howard's surgery seems to have gone well at dawn this morning! Of course I had to trip over the curb and fall on my face going to get the car.! My purse was under me and it knocked the breath out of me so was still panting when I got him. I am fine but probably a few bruises will surface. Poor Howard talk about the blind leading the blind! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 10 Jul 2014 1:43 PM

Jen, so pleased to hear that Howard's surgery went well! I'm sorry you fell and hope your purse provided some cushioning!

Alex

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 684
Points 11,055
karend84 wrote
on 10 Jul 2014 3:19 PM

Thanks Nealey and Jen.  Jen Happy to hear Howard is doing well.  Sorry to hear about your fall.  Hope you don't have to much bruising.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Page 28 of 45 (665 items) « First ...  < Previous  26 27 28 29 30  Next >  ... Last » | RSS