Challenge CHATTER - 2014

This post has 462 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 863
Points 19,505
Hearadh wrote
on 18 Jun 2014 11:04 AM

This is a page from my latest holiday sketch book. Too wet to draw outdoors so this was what I could see from the lounge window...the cannon was a relic from the defences put up during the time of the Napoleonic threat to the UK.  It still points out to sea but from a garden not the actual coastline.

The drawing below it was a waxy flower in a vase on the table I was seated at. The letters are colour notes.  size 6" x 8"

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,860
Points 47,715
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Jun 2014 11:48 PM

Sarah, nice sketch of the old cannon. there are two like it where my friend lives in Southwold. Probably a newer vintage though. Nice flower too.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,860
Points 47,715
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Jun 2014 11:52 PM

well nobody was at the studio today so I did this pastel painting from a wetcanvas WDE challenge . it was of three guys digging a hole but I added some fantacy for fun. It didn't turn out as well as I hoped but it is what I did today!

12x9 Pastels.

the drawing

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 863
Points 19,505
Hearadh wrote
on 20 Jun 2014 3:54 AM

Surprise, Surprise Jen (name of a TV show here) Very cheerful.

Thanks for c/c on the cannon...been to Southwold but didn't see the big guns there.

Typing with left hand so very brief comments!

Sarah

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 455
Kerthunkeh wrote
on 20 Jun 2014 11:36 AM

Here is what

I have been up to lately. Working on a long term project plus really enjoying pastel pencils!! 

C&c are welcome! Love what you do. 

Love who you are. Love nature. Love art. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 863
Points 19,505
Hearadh wrote
on 20 Jun 2014 4:09 PM

Thunk please can you post these the right way up so that they can be commented on in all fairness even if they are quick sketches.. Size?

Is the long term project you mention an art project or related to your university course?

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,860
Points 47,715
Turps245 wrote
on 21 Jun 2014 11:54 PM

Thunk, Some good pastel sketches. I really like the fantasy ones. Glad you found time to pop in.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,860
Points 47,715
Turps245 wrote
on 21 Jun 2014 11:57 PM

Well today I did another wetcanvas ,WDE challenge This was an adaption of a busy Market scene. I had to go home after dumping a jar of turps all over me!

10 x 10 oil on canvas

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,752
Points 21,775
E.D. wrote
on 22 Jun 2014 10:15 AM

Hello Artist. I was wondering if you did not post a June Challenge this month. It doesn't show up when I click on the forum button. I have looked several times as I have not posted for a while. We got a new internet and it doesn't allow me much time to post paintings and on the forum too. We have to wait two years before we can get rid of it. So remember that Verizon's MyFi  only gives you 5 g and that seems like a lot but it is not. You can't look at video's about art no utube and posting and writing like I am doing use's a lot of that 5 g. I will be watching for you lovely art on this forum though.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,860
Points 47,715
Turps245 wrote
on 22 Jun 2014 12:55 PM

Hi Elizabeth, good to have you back. No we don't have a June Challenge. Marsha was sick and I was going out of town so we decided to extend May as not many people had posted there. Hope you can find something you would like. We will have a July challenge. Sorry your service is rotten that would drive me crazy too.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 25 Jun 2014 8:49 AM

Thank you Sarah, Jen, Alex and Nealey for comments on my Carbondale paintings.

Sarah your plein air drawings and Holiday sketches are fantastic.  I have done all my work from photos.  I am practicing painting from life.  It is still a challenge for me.

Nealey I hope all went well with your surgery and you are back to art soon.

Jen your pastel is so creative and fun.  I love the market scene.  Great job on the figures.

Thunk  nice job on the pastel sketches

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 25 Jun 2014 9:03 AM

I'm trying to learn to paint plain air.  I took a break from oil so I don't have to carry medium and turp outside.  I'm playing with acrylic.  Wow tough getting used to.  My first attempt the paint dried on my pallette before I could get it down.  I also have to learn to paint less detail and quicker. I spent 3 days in my garden.  The first 2 about 2 hours each after work.  Yesterday about 6 hous. It was fun to play outside.  Changing light was also challenging.  After some playing and much learned here is my garden.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 863
Points 19,505
Hearadh wrote
on 25 Jun 2014 10:58 AM

Hello Karen,

well done you!!!! Your garden looks very interesting and where better to get mixing those greens from nature plein air. The Impressionists always chose to paint their chosen subject at the same time of day several days running. (You knew that of course)!!!

Thumb is still hampering me from doing much but it is healing a little each day...nothing compared to other AD'ers health problems.

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,860
Points 47,715
Turps245 wrote
on 25 Jun 2014 1:55 PM

Thanks Sarah and Karen for the comments on my two paintings. I am having pain in my foot and leg so haven't got back to the studio to finish the market. Maybe tomorrow.

Karen, well done on your first plein air painting!! Acrylics are not my favourite because of their quick drying and the fact that they dry darker but you have obviously manged them. Great variety of greens really well done. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 863
Points 19,505
Hearadh wrote
on 26 Jun 2014 5:25 AM

Hello Karen,

plein air (in any medium) is good for improving observational skills. I find I spend more time looking than painting/drawing.

There is a retarder you can buy for acrylics but a limited palette and working faster is more beneficial in the long run..

Sarah

Page 26 of 31 (463 items) « First ...  < Previous  24 25 26 27 28  Next >  ... Last » | RSS