Challenge CHATTER - 2014

This post has 658 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 683
Points 11,035
karend84 wrote
on 9 Jun 2014 9:53 AM

Jenn, Sarah, and Alexandra, thank you for your comments.  Jenn it is 16x20 oil on canvas.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 683
Points 11,035
karend84 wrote
on 9 Jun 2014 6:01 PM

I realized this Morning I hadn't posted the finished coal fields.  Well I decided to take a pic in the frame.  I dropped it and tore a hole in the canvas.  I am heartbroken.  I spent the day researching repair.  Hopefully I can fix it enough to hang at the November show.  

Here it is before tear.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Jun 2014 8:20 PM

Karen, do not dispair it is fairly easy to repair a tear In canvas and if you get on u tube there will be any number of helpful and not so helpful hints. We have repaired a nasty rip in. A big canvas from damage from fork lift truck. It was not completly perfect but almost and it was a big nasty tear. Fortunately the painting was big and high on a wall to be seen far up high. 

Just smooth it out as much as possible and try and get all the edges smoothed the smoother you can get it the easier  ( do not cut edges) it will be to add a patch on the back and retouch the painting if nescessary. I need to ask my friend who did it what the steps were as I can't remember what glue we used or if it was gesso on the back and I don't want to steer you wrong. 

I have to say the coal fields look great. I would never have thought to do a painting of such a subject yet you made them beautiful.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 9 Jun 2014 8:46 PM

Karen, I agree with Jen. You made something that is usually seen as a blight on the landscape powerful and beautiful. I like, too, that there are plants in the foreground that catch the light.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 586
Points 9,305
NealeyPea wrote
on 10 Jun 2014 6:35 PM

Hello Karen!  Your addition of color to your train tracks & station is really setting the mood for me.  It's coming along well!  I'm sorry about the mishap with your Coal Field painting.  I'm sure it can be repaired to your satisfaction ~  Jen is right...don't cut the torn edges.  It's needed to "knit it" back together.  Very fine painting & subject...all is not lost!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,325
Hearadh wrote
on 12 Jun 2014 2:43 AM

Hello Karen,

that painting speaks volumes to me so I hope the tear is soon repaired to your satisfaction. I can imagine how you are feeling  :-(

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 683
Points 11,035
karend84 wrote
on 12 Jun 2014 3:52 PM

Thank you Jen, Nealey, Alexandra and Sarah for your help and encouragement.  I started the patch process today.  Fingers crossed.

I think the train station is done. I'll let it sit and decide if I need anything. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,325
Hearadh wrote
on 12 Jun 2014 4:20 PM

Well done Karen.  In fact you have two paintings in one if you cut (not tear!!!) it down the centre!!!!

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 12 Jun 2014 9:48 PM

Karen, your paintings just get better and better. I really like that the viewer is standing looking down the track. It is a timeless and peaceful painting. 

Good luck with the patching. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,325
Hearadh wrote
on 15 Jun 2014 9:36 AM

Hello Karen,

I thought you might like to see these two profipen drawings I made a long time ago......the buildings are still the same but shops have different names. Drawn plein air, the first one is an area called Scotgate and the other is Red Lion Square Sat on a tombstone to draw that.

I couldn't  show the whole of the drawings as they are slightly larger than my scanner.

Sarah

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 15 Jun 2014 10:30 AM

Sarah, the patterns and textures and perspective are all so pleasing to the eye in this plein air drawing.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,325
Hearadh wrote
on 15 Jun 2014 2:34 PM

Thanks Alex......all done freehand and measuring by eye.

Couldn't draw such large areas like that today as the traffic has dramatically increased since then and pedestrians walking by do tend to get in the way!!!!

Sarah

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 586
Points 9,305
NealeyPea wrote
on 16 Jun 2014 6:39 PM

Karen, your Train Station is just a PERFECT painting.  The little building has fine detail ~ wonderful!

Sarah I am enjoying your pen drawings of the "English" buildings.  The architecture is so different than where I live. 

Sorry I havn't been making any "art" lately.  I had to have another surgery today bacause the cancer under my eye was growing back.  Can't wait til the swelling & pain go away!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Jun 2014 12:32 AM

Sarah, Wonderful drawings. I have a real problem with Architecture and perspective but these are perfect.

Nealey ,ouch! Nasty thing to have so close to your eye I hope it all settles down again soon.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 971
Points 21,325
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Jun 2014 2:43 AM

So sorry to hear about your eye area problem Nealey...I can empathise a little as my daughter is having eye surgery yet again in a few weeks time.

I do hope everything turns out well for you this time.

Sarah

Page 25 of 44 (659 items) « First ...  < Previous  23 24 25 26 27  Next >  ... Last » | RSS