Challenge CHATTER - 2014

This post has 455 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
ruthie36 wrote
on 14 Mar 2014 3:36 PM

5x7 watercolor on yupo  This is my first post,  Fred has been instructing me.

RUTHIE

BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS ART CENTER

SOUTHERN APPALACIAN ARTIST GUILD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 505
Points 7,880
NealeyPea wrote
on 14 Mar 2014 7:09 PM

Hello Ruthie and WELCOME!  I see you are having fun with the YUPO paper too.  Nice WC of the plant ~ did you blow air on it to make the long lines??  Very nice.  Hope we see more.  Yes

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Mar 2014 11:02 PM

So here is my still a WIP clay Turtle/tortoise. He is a bit odd but if he survive the first firing may look okay once he is glazed!!!  Still needs work.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 17 Mar 2014 1:20 PM

WOW Jen, Sculpting is fun and you have done an excellent job with the turtle, I'm still into the Cosmos, it lets your imagination take control of your creative thoughts instead of what you see, I don't know if that makes any sense but anyway

Close Encounters 5x7 w/c on YUPO

Cosmos 1 9x12 w/c on YUPO

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Mar 2014 11:51 PM

Fred,  these are so much fun and I really like the last one. You need to feature all of the YOPU paintings in one show. they would be really impressive.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Mar 2014 11:58 PM

Thank You Fred for your good words. Here is the turtle finished . I will look at him again but I think he is ready to dried and fired. we will see if he survives that!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 18 Mar 2014 10:09 AM

Fred great work on the Cosmo.

Jenn the turtle is fabulous.  His expression is great and all the texture is wonderful.  Fingers crossed on the fire.   

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 505
Points 7,880
NealeyPea wrote
on 18 Mar 2014 12:05 PM

Jen ~ Good job on the turtle.  About how big is it?  I have a turtle that came from Arizona that I drag out every Spring & sit next to the fountain.  After 25 years, it lost a foot  :(  .  Will your turtle be living in the garden?

Nealey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 18 Mar 2014 2:41 PM

Karen and Nealey thanks.  I am not sure of the exact size but approx. 9 inches long by about 6 inches wide and  4 inches high if you include his head. That is just a guess I will measure when I go to the studio. I started a mushroom and will add my "changed" version of the stone angel! 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 505
Points 7,880
NealeyPea wrote
on 18 Mar 2014 10:18 PM

JEN, no need for exact measurements!  It looked huge!  I was just thinking how heavy it would be, that's all. 

Nealey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Mar 2014 1:26 PM

He is hollow. I build my creations around a ball of newspaper. I then either take it out when it's dry or let it burn off in the kiln. The legs are hollowed out and his neck has a thin stick through it which will also burn out. The aim is to make sure the clay is no thicker than 1/4 to 1/2" thick. The hot gasses need a place to go so if there are air holes it won't break the clay as it is fired. At least that is the hope. I try and make sure there are no air pockets too or the same thing will happen! He is heavy at the moment because he is wet. 

By the way Nealey if you get some silicone adhesive  you can glue your turtle's leg back on . Silicone will expand and contract  so works better outside. Let it cure for about 24 hours. We found it works quit well. You will see the join but it should stay on. Make sure both ends you glue are clean and dry. I also spray my outside critters with a couple of coats of clear acrylic. I leave them out year round and they do fine but we did bring the ones under the roof in this year as we were worried the ice and huge icicles would hurt them. I left the ones around the mail box and they did fine.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,446
Points 23,280
Berkenstock wrote
on 21 Mar 2014 10:59 PM

Claudia looks lick you have taken on a big project painting you niece and her hen.  Must be the reason your doing this in egg tempera.  Good thinking.  I will be waiting on the finished product.

Jen your turtle is great.  have you figured how you are going to glaze it?  I have been working on another face jug but it got too dry so it is wrapped up in a wet towel

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 22 Mar 2014 1:10 AM

Hi, Gerri, thanks. I am not sure what glazes I will use but probably bright un turtle like colours! Bright and fun. He has to get through his first firing yet! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 861
Points 19,480
Hearadh wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 6:40 AM

Hello Jen,

haven't commented before on your claywork because I have had little time to spare...more work being done in the house.

Is it terracotta clay, When it is leather hard do you work on the detail or is it all done when it is 'wet'

I woild have waited a week at least to make sure it was dry. What capacity is your kiln,,,do you have to wait for other's work to fill it before firing?

I must be pedantic now to point out (not to you of course)...it isn't sculpture it is modelling when working with clay. I have taught both so I like using the correct terms not to criticise anyone..

I prefer the turtle to the gnome by the way.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,446
Points 23,280
Berkenstock wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 3:13 PM

Hearadh:

I prefer the turtle to the gnome by the way.

I would find it hard to choose.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Page 17 of 31 (456 items) « First ...  < Previous  15 16 17 18 19  Next >  ... Last » | RSS