Challenge CHATTER - 2014

This post has 768 Replies | 15 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 5:24 AM

This is a watercolor of some flowers my daughter bought me for Valentines day. The work is a little heavy for watercolor and I think part of it is I've been using gouache and need to shift gears over to the transparency mode. It's done on actual watercolor paper too! Arches hot press 140 lb. aprox. 7x9 inch. This is the first time I've ever used a hot press paper and can see it has some very nice potential. I didn't draw anything first and just went in with a brush hence the odd shape of the petals. Not sure what the flower is called. Oddly I like to draw/paint dried out flowers better than fresh ones. I love flowers and have a yard full but for some reason I just lean towards the dried out ones. but anyway.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 6:19 AM

Catherine your flowers are gorgeous.   What beautiful bright orange

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,046
Points 22,435
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 12:04 PM

Hello Cathy.......it is the norm to use HP paper for florals and I think you have discovered that with this painting. Well done you!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,046
Points 22,435
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 12:12 PM

Hello Jen...thanks for the information re.. your tutor's method of  teaching. I reckon he would be bored stiff if you all worked on the same photo. Glad you enjoyed the experience.

Will have a look at his work. 

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,999
Points 50,420
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 7:33 PM

Catherine, nice vibrant painting of the flowers.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 10:39 PM

Catherine, lovely flowers. I am always amazed that you just draw with your brush. Nice warm colour.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 733
Points 12,375
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 18 Feb 2014 8:02 PM

Good day to all!  Hasn't this weather been just bad!  I don't remember ever getting this much snow.  Anyway I have a question for you all.

Question:  I want to paint a picture with oil paint, with the background being acrylic.  Do I paint the whole board my background colors and than do the picture and will the oil paint cover the acrylic paint?  Thanks for your help!!!!  Joyce

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,999
Points 50,420
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 1:54 AM

Hi Joyce, yes it is fine to do an under painting in acrylic and then paint over with oil paints. You cannot do it the other way round though. Always acrylic under oil not oil under acrylic. It won't mix.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 1:51 PM

Haven't had tme to comment here for a while. But it is not much going on here in Chatter. Where is everybody?

Geri, interesting poem;) Hope to see some more pictures in the February challenge, Hopefully your paint is not frozen.

I just talked to my son in Seattle. He is bored, has vacation and it's raining, all his friends went skiing or have a job.He told me about the weather in some of the other States. So I asume that some of you might have no power.

If I could I would sent some warm tempertures your way and you could send a little bit of snow our way.

We're going on our ski vacation in march but we probably can only go hiking.

Fred, haven't seen any new paintings (???)

Sarah, lovely cat painting, but seeing the one you did in the January challenge, you're talent took you further.

Jen, this looked like an interesting art class at your studio. Love your painting.

Catherine, the orange flowers are beautiful. Very,very nice!!!

Sam, hope to have yo back here soon.

It's late here so I'm having trouble finding the right words.

Hope everybody is staying warm and keeps painting

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 733
Points 12,375
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 19 Feb 2014 2:08 PM

Thanks Jen, I knew you would help me out you are the best.  Joyce

Sorry I'm not upto date with all the painting here I just can't seem to cc everyone.  Which is bad because I want everyone to cc me when I add a painting.  Bad Joyce Bad Joyce.  Can I say that I haven't been feeling well or the weather is getting me down will that work.  I do look at each painting as it comes in by email.  Take care, and thanks again Jen, Joyce

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 719
Points 11,770
karend84 wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 11:57 AM

There are some great things going on in this thread and the Feb challenge.  I will try to catch up on comments later.  This is a ccommission.  I work with the girl.  The boy is a friend of her family.  They went to a fall festival she had her face painted and he his hand since he was afraid of having his face done.  I was hesitant since I've only done portraits as family gifts.  I appreciate any critiques along the way.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,588
Points 25,565
Berkenstock wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 12:03 PM

Karen you are braver than me but you are off to a great start.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 733
Points 12,375
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 10:52 PM

Karen, what a wonderful start the boys fack is right on.  Great job.  Joyce

Joyce

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,999
Points 50,420
Turps245 wrote
on 20 Feb 2014 11:45 PM

Karen, you have taken  a big challenge. You might want to warm his skin tone up a bit and darken our left side of his face. From the picture I think you are seeing the girls hair in shadow and his ear is barely visible. His face may be a bit narrow on that side too. You are off to a great start.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 719
Points 11,770
karend84 wrote
on 21 Feb 2014 1:47 AM

Thank you Geri Joyce and Jen for your encouraging comments.  Jen I appreciate your keen observations.  This is the first layer of the face.  I will probably do a few layers on the skin tone and will pay close attention to your suggestions.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Page 12 of 52 (769 items) « First ...  < Previous  10 11 12 13 14  Next >  ... Last » | RSS