Challenge CHATTER - 2014

This post has 455 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Feb 2014 5:42 PM

Jouce, I ended up being total wrong with the groundhogs shadow. We haven't had any sun for two months and what happens on groundhog day but the sun shines as bright as can be, the groundhog sees his shadow and we have 6 more weeks of winter. I've decided I'm getting to old to wish winter away, need to enjoy everyday and make each year last. At least with the sun it was a nice day for a change. Hopefully all the snow will raise our water table this summer. The Great Lakes, at least Lake Huron has had such terribly low water levels that everyone wants a good spring run off to help build it back up. Have to look on the positive side of things.

Claudia, wonderful photos from your parade. I see the little green headed creature being stolen away, cute. It looks like a good time was had by all. And wonderful costumes. Out of this world and I hope they  do scare winter away.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 728
Points 12,260
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 2 Feb 2014 5:55 PM

Bonnie, you are so right about making the most of each day but we had little sun today.  Yesterday we started the day with big white snowflakes followed wth heavy rain turning to ice rain then snow.  Funny you think of the Great Lakes and the water table and I wish the west could have half of our rain we seem to get so much and the west has little, maybe we wouldn't over use water here if we had a little less.  Let's hope the water table does move up in the lakes for all of us to enjoy.

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Feb 2014 12:08 AM

Karen, this is a big undertaking and you are doing a wonderful job. take it slow and steady and you will be proud of the result. Buildings and perspective are so hard for me well done!

Fred. You do such energetic paintings on Yopo but your drawings are amazing. I didn't know you could use graphite on that slick paper.

Nealy, good for you drawing daily. I love this zentagle design it flows so well.

Claudia, what a fun festival that looks. I wish I could join in revelry. Great pictures.

Joyce, as it is snowing again here I think we should do away with the darn Groundhog but your drawing is cute! Yes take each day as it comes it was warm and sunny last week for a few days!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 850
callista2 wrote
on 3 Feb 2014 6:39 PM

Hi Everyone!

Just been catching up on all the posts so far - people are really busy.

I am hoping that we have seen the worst of the high temperatures here for this summer - we have had a number of days when it has been above 40 deg C, with the highest 44.6.  Unfortunately, there have been quite a few serious fires around Australia, with a couple near us - thank goodness we have dedicated firefighters, so all are under control at present.  The countryside is so very dry & a number of areas are in drought conditions - some farmers are grazing their stock along the roads to take advantage of the vegetation that is growing there.  Rain is badly needed.  I cannot imagine living in a snowy area, but I guess like most things one gets used to this.

Karen - I am really impressed with your cityscape - so much detail.  It is coming along very well.  Also liked the painting of your grandson.

Fred - good to see the bears are still very active.  Love your drawings.  What is YUPO? never heard of it.

Nealey - nice 'doodles'!

Judy - really love the detail in your leopard - he's beautiful.

Happy creating!  

Bye till next time,

Sonia

Sonia

Comments & critique will always be welcome & appreciated!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 8 Feb 2014 11:18 PM

I don't know if any of you are facebook friends with Fred. He posted a very interesting article that I assume was printed in the local paper.  I wish he would post it here in chatter for the rest of you to read.  He also said that Ruthie has taken up abstract painting.  He needs to talk her into posting too.  Very nice Fred.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 10 Feb 2014 1:50 PM

Just in case you missed it CURLING IS ON.

Just to let ou all know how nice a winter we are having.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 504
Points 7,875
NealeyPea wrote
on 10 Feb 2014 7:43 PM

Hi there Hoosier!  (Geri)  Nice little poem.  We'll make it through the winter, just like always!  I like the quiet,  tho the older I get, the more I'd rather not deal with the plowing, shoveling, sliding, sniffling and sneezing.

That was a great article on Fred on FB.  If you're reading this, Fred......HELLO and your latest YUPOS are great.  Love the abstracts.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 10 Feb 2014 10:56 PM

Nealy  funny that you brought up the quiet.  A couple days ago when I was out feeding the chickens and it was about 3 below.  I just stopped and stood and listened for awhile.  The only thing you could here was the chickadees sassing me for interrupting their turn at the feeder.  I miss not being able to get out and do a little ice fishing or just walking in the woods in the winter but I am just not steady enough on my feet to do this anymore.  You all take care of your health while you can you wont regret it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 858
Points 19,435
Hearadh wrote
on 11 Feb 2014 9:53 AM

I hope I can upload this...especially for Marsha...my very first cat painting many,many years ago.

Yippee........my first upload using my new PC

The cat was a farmyard visitor who would sit and stare at me every day at the same time...so I decided to paint 'him?'   I called him Butch and had him framed and sold it

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Feb 2014 11:50 PM

Sonia, I guess extremes of temperature at whatever end of the temperature they are  just not comfortable. We will send you a bit of our cold if you will send a bit of warm back!

Yes Fred where are you? we love hearing from you .

Nice little Kitten Sarah. Such a sweet and expectant face.

Okay today we had Jason Sacran come to our studio to teach us how to paint nocturnes. What a fun and challenging day. He is such a fun and generous teacher. this is my effort. It is very wet and not quite finished but I had fun even if I did feel way out of my element.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 858
Points 19,435
Hearadh wrote
on 16 Feb 2014 3:40 AM

Hello Jen,

very interesting expressive painting and definitely a very wet  one...is it in water colours or what?

Did all of your fellow artists paint the same view and did you do it side by side with the tutor?  I ask because I taught adults until a few years ago and am just nosey about his style of teaching.!!!!

Is Marsha still unwell, Is Sam too ill to call in and Alex has been missing for ages too. I am asking you because you appear to be in touch privately with most people on AD.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 16 Feb 2014 7:50 AM

Geri, very fitting poem. Our winter has turned though and we are having some good winter weather now. The great lake Huron is frozen over (hasn't happened in a lot of years) so now we are not having lake effect snow every day. And that is good because some of our roadside snow banks have been pushed back and are reaching upwards of 10 to 12 feet high, up to the telephone wires. Now we are having lots of sun and average temp. so you can get outside and have some fun.

Sarah, your first cat painting is lovely with the pink. Her stance is right on. Very nice to see.

Jen, great adventure having an instructor for a day and learning something new. You did very well, it definitely looks wet, lots of nice glow from the lights. You've captured that it is dark as well. Must have been very enjoyable.

Yes Sarah, I've been wondering how everyone is as well. I know Sam was having medical problems again but have not heard from Alex.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Feb 2014 2:40 PM

Thanks Sarah and Bonnie. It was fun and something I have never done. He goes out at night and says it is easier to do in plein air at night as the light is constant and no sun glaring and moving. You just have to watch out for insects and bears!  Sarah no he brought a bunch of photos for us to choose from so it was fun to see how everyone did it. He did say this was his first nocturne workshop ( by no means his first workshop though) and that in future he would have students do all the same thing so he didn't have to go around and show several different things. I liked not doing the same thing but I suppose he thought it would be easier. He did a demonstration in the morning then we all painted in the afternoon. We painted in oils mine was 12x16". Look up Jason Sacran online he does good stuff.

i have not heard from Sammy, Marsha or Alex but last I heard as Bonnie said Sammy was having more medical problems. I think she finds it hard keeping up with the posts too,

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 16 Feb 2014 10:21 PM

Sarah:  Thank you for posting the Kitty piece...  I so appreciate it. your city scape wc tells a great story.   I have been making some cute travel kits, it has become my hobby lately, I have made several little kids.   Now I just need somewhere to travel....

Karen, WOW your city scape is quite ambitious and so well done.  

Nealy, your doodle of the jelly fish is so beautiful.  

Fred: you and Yupo are getting along very well, very expressive including  your drawings

Joyce I see the ground hog, but no shadow... hmmmm  

Claudia you have sparked my interest in Carnivals from all over the world, including our New Orleans mardi gras.

Geri, I love the poetry,  I shared it with some friends,   their butts are frozen to the ground as well.  

Jen:  your canoe is really really nice,   the colors, reflections boat and faces turned out really well. good job.   Your night scene is good, you captured the evening lights and wet reflections very well,  great class.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Feb 2014 5:17 AM

Fred...Your pencil drawings are really well done! Used to your paintings but drawing is a good thing too!

Karen...Your cityscape is really coming along nicely. I'm anxious to see the finished piece!

Joyce...Your groundhog out of his den/burrow is so sweet. I hope he makes this winter go away fast!

Claudia...I love your photos of the winter carnival. It looks like a really fun day!

Geri...Love the poem!

Sarah...The watercolor of the cat is awesome! He has such an ornery look on his face!

Jen...The night time painting is really nice! Your work in oils is really wonderful to look at!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Page 11 of 31 (456 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS