Challenge CHATTER - 2014

This post has 313 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 721
Points 12,170
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 6:02 PM

Hello to all, I just took this picture of my dog Rocky and thought I would pass it on.  I thought the picture was a good one to show how much snow we have.   Rocky is about 14" high. 

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 6:18 PM

WOW Joyce!  Thanx for sharing your pic of Rocky - you got some snow too!  What a winter....bahhhhhh

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 9 Jan 2014 9:50 AM

Joyce, you got quite an accumulation of snow.  It sure makes it tough to travel and distance.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 3:25 AM

Fred I have to admire all your Yo po paintings. the colours are lovely and I can't imagine trying to paint on such a slick surface. well done.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 3:28 AM

Claudia , You were a talented girl even at 14. Nice job of showing snow and I really like the sky in the first one. It was freezing rain again today but it is supposed to warm up for the weekend.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 3:31 AM

Joyce. your snow looks like my daughter's house. her little dog loves it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 370
Points 8,105
Claudia S. wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 12:12 PM

Thank you Jen!

If anybody is interested in the final book of the slug, you can contact me over the conversation link and I could give you a Link to a pdf.

This is my homepage. All in german so.

http://www.antikemaltechnik.de

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 8:51 PM

Hello everyone. I thought I would post something I've been working on.(from a photograph) I haven't commented on everyone's work yet but I will catch up with the chatter tomorrow if that's ok. The first image is of the yet to be done angel statue in the snow. I've drawn in the shapes with a graphite pencil and then stretched the paper and mounted it to a board. This one is going to be done on Fabriano 140 lb. cold press and will be 8x11 inch when done.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 8:59 PM

This is the study I just did a little bit ago on a scrap piece of watercolor paper 140 lb. cold press 11x9. I needed to figure out my colors, how the wash would go on the paper and also how the snow splatter effect via an old toothbrush would work out. I used just a narrow flat brush to paint the image and then used pure white gouache for the spatter. I've found that doing a practice painting is a good way to work out the bugs before going ahead with the actual painting. I'm liking the image on the wider size but I think the actual painting done on the narrow width will be okay too.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 9:05 PM

I didn't add in the first post but this is all done with gouache paint. I'm starting to really like the effects you can get with gouache paint. It dries really fast though but it's easy to go back in  to continue. This is all wet on dry work.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 10:53 AM

Catherine ~ That's great study of the angel statue.  Good tones from white to very dark.  Interesting how you are applying snow with a toothbrush.  I have never used gouache but think your efforts with the medium are really paying off here.  I think (?) you have a wider wing span in the wash than in the prep sketch, which I like.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 10:58 AM

A couple of abstracts with w/c on YUPO 10x12

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:50 AM

Wow Fred! I've never used YUPO but you've got some very nice effects in both of these flowers. Very enjoyable to look at these Fred.  

Bonnie... I was very pleased with the effect of splattering/misting the gouache over the painting. My only suggestion is to practice on a blank piece of paper to see how your splash is going to go on and to not load the toothbrush up to heavy or you will get droplets instead of "sprinkles". I also tapped the brush a little to get the excess off and used my thumb to pull across the brush. I practiced on a blank scrap paper using black gouache so I could see the size and pattern. Thank you for mentioning the wing size on the one I'm going to be working on. I did go in and add a little width to the wings and it did make a difference. When I go in with the paint it will also end up a little bigger than the line work but I expect that. 

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:51 AM

Nice job Fred they kind of remind me of fingerpaints that we used to do

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 12 Jan 2014 2:58 PM

Catherine, your angel fountain is coming along very nicely.  This is going to be a fine painting and I'm eager to see the finished product.

Fred, you finally broke down and did some flowers and great looking flowers at that.  Both are very attractive but I like the delicate softness of the peach one.  The colors got a little muddied as they mixed together on the multi-colored one which is fine - it just gives the flowers a gray look.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 6 of 21 (314 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS