CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:48 PM

Jen you have done well with the limited palate challenge.  The two things that bother me is the canoe is tipping and the reflection on the left looks like it is on static water on a lake.  I think it needs some flow marks to make it look like a river.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:55 PM

Nealy great drawing of the trees.  I think  I would be putting a frame around that one.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 3:01 PM

Frodo is a beautiful cat Sarah.  I too am a dog person but it wo does a fuld be nice to have one around for the mice.  My dog does a fairly good job on mice and I don't think he would allow a cat. 

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 951
Points 13,805
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 4:28 PM

Jen, your canoe drawing is coming along nicely. I love the colours you are getting with the limited palette. Sorry you caught a bug and are under the weather. Looking forward to seeing this piece progress.

Catherine, great to see your horses in the graphite and tinted charcoal. You got perfect proportions for the horses, mine tended to be a little too long. And yours look straight and mind look that they might be going down hill a little. They were lots of fun to photograph. I used a fairly powerful zoom lens. They had come a long way from the right or East. The mare closest kept kicking at the stallion who was keeping them herded up. I wondered about the cropping because of the third rules when placing objects.

Marsha, what a wonderful winter scene with the red barn. I looked at your painting this morning before I went to town. On the way, I was looking at the trees and thought they looked just like your trees. Lovely sunny background and the red buildings really add lots of warm to the winter scene. Lovely.

Kim your winter scene in watercolour is great. I like the blue sky and it must have been difficult to do the trees by painting in the sky. The snow laden trees are a nice place of interest that the roadway leads to. Very nice. Your going fishing and women hockey players turned out very well with the ink applied by brush. Even with the problems with the paper, they turned out great. I so glad you could get some done for the challenge. My favorite would be going fishing.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 456
Points 7,095
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 7:35 PM

Thank you Kim, Claudia and Sonia for your comments on my frosty tree drawing!

Bonnie ~ lovely pastel of the wild horses.  They do look so soft & your tufts of snow are quite nice too.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 456
Points 7,095
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 7:39 PM

Hi Karen!  I'm glad you think I did a NEARLY FABULOUS JOB.   Har har!Wink  I'll try harder next time!

Nealey

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 456
Points 7,095
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 7:46 PM

Jen ~ Good to see you back and painting again!  That's a good challenge using the limited colors.  Nice start on your canoe painting.  Hope you feel better real soon! 

Nealey

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 456
Points 7,095
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 7:57 PM

Catherine ~ Your charcoal drawing of the horses is better than your last one, I think.  Their rounded contours really show in this one.

Marsha ! Glad you could also get in another painting!  Love the trees and the shadows they make!

Kim ~ Nice WC of the winter path.  Reminds me of yesterday here - very cold but beautifully sunny!  Maybe you can add a car in the ditch, if you feel it's lacking.  Even tho you didn't care for the effects, I like the way your ink washes turned out.  Very spontaneous and fresh.

Nealey

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 456
Points 7,095
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 8:03 PM

Thanks Geri for your comment.  I put a thumb tack in it.....does that count???

Thank you Bonnie for all your hard work on this month's challenge.  Now you can breathe a sigh of relief!Wink

Nealey

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 610
Points 9,595
karend84 wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 11:46 PM

Nealy oh no!!!!  Haha....You absolutely did a fabulous job!!!!!   That's what happens when you try to quickly respond with a cell phone that auto corrects.Angry

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 951
Points 13,805
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 11:50 PM

I have finally found time to finish my posts. I belong to a dance group and we had a social night of ballroom dancing. It was a lot of fun to help get through this long long winter.

Thank you to Karen, Sarah, Claudia, Marsh, Catherine, Kim and Geri for all your comments on my horses. They were fun to try. I will try the cropping suggestions in the computer on the photo I posted and will darken the shadow under them. It kept getting lighter as I put in the snow that was kicked up by their hoofs. I will maybe try a lighter shade of the shadow colour instead of white for the snow. Geri, the paper is Mi-Teintes assorted and the colour was a sandy brown.

Thank you everyone for participating in the January Challenge. Your participation made the challenge interesting, exciting, informative and fun. Everyone created such wonderful pieces to share for all our enjoyment. I am working on the January Gallery. Thank you Marsha for your help in getting me started in the right direction. I hope to have it up later on Sunday. I am very excited about Claudia's February Challenge and can hardly wait to get started selecting what to do. Thank you all again, and remember if you do a painting from the January Challenge you should post it in the January Challenge to help keep them from getting confused and I will post them to the January Gallery.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 9:41 AM

Geri, Catherine, Nealey, and Bonnie - Thanks for your kind c/c; much appreciated. A car in a ditch...good idea, Nealey, but beyond my patience level for a quick ptg..

Bonnie - ballroom dancing sounds like a wonderful break!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,815
Points 46,860
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Feb 2014 11:37 PM

Bonnie I missed your Horse pastel. Very lovely with a nice sense of movement. the snow turned out well too.

Marsha, I love your red barns in the snow. Very bright and cheery despite the snow! good to see you back and feeling better.

Catherine, I like your drawing of the horses too. Nicely done. I have a hard time with horse proportions.

Kim, I love the bright blue sky in your snowy painting it really makes it pop and adds warmth to a cold day. Your pen sketches are good too.

Joyce, I forgot your horse drawing. he looks good and you could probably go on adding darks and mid values but as an exesise it is well done. Good for you having a go!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,815
Points 46,860
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Feb 2014 11:50 PM

Thank you all for the positive words on my canoe painting. It has been and is a challenge. Just getting the colours right is difficult and I have wiped the canoe off three times and the darn rock. I think I finally have the proportions right now. Gerri I have a long way to go with ripples, reflections and  shadows etc it is still a work in progress. I think I took on more than I can chew!!Haha! I snowed again today so I probably wont get out to the studio until later in the week which is frustrating.

Anyway here is where I am now. Several steps back and wishing for some cerulean blue!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,054
Points 49,080
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 3 Feb 2014 10:42 AM

Jen, this coming along.  I especially like the water right now.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Page 32 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  30 31 32 33 34  Next > | RSS