CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 495 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 5:50 AM

This is done with graphite and a little bit of tinted charcoal. Aprox. size is 20x15 and done on sketch paper.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 6:27 AM

I finished my last January Challenge piece...  its just a simple winter scene with a red Barn.  Watercolor, 8.5 x 5.5  Hot press paper 

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 6:31 AM

Marsha this is just beautiful!  I really like the tree shadows in the lane. You are really doing wonderful landscapes.

Bonnie...Thank you so much for hosting this month. I really enjoyed painting the beach, resort challenge photos the most as it gave me hope that warm weather was coming eventually! 

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 6:35 AM

Thank you Catherine,   my you got in a last piece as well,   great work with the horses....   they look very lively...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 370
Points 8,105
Claudia S. wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 9:50 AM

Catherine, nice sketch of the horses, will you take it farther and do a painting? Looks like a good start to me.

Marsha, thank you for letting me have peek of you unfinshed red barn wc. It's a mystery to me how you were able to finish that with the amount of sleep you got.

The finished piece is very very nice!!!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 315
Points 5,485
Kim513 wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 1:21 PM

Bonnie - THANKS for all your work this month! Your horses have good lighting and I love the snow...looks like outside my window (fairgrounds/fields beyond our backyd.) - except I don't have the horses. I would hesitate to crop, but you can play with covering up with blank papers to chk.; if anything, I thought of cropping a bit of the far R. horse to have him coming into the ptg. vs. already in it, but that's a personal choice. Nice work, esp. w/ pastels.

Jen - Your oil is coming along great. Agree with Claudia on those colors.Yes

Marsha - Love the barn ptg., esp. the colors - really nice. Frame it.

Catherine - The tinted charcoal works well for this subj.. Good work.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 315
Points 5,485
Kim513 wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 1:41 PM

Above is roughly 8 x 10, watercolor. I know the blue is off for winter (neg. ptg. for sky), but I liked the contrast. It was a quick one I did before. Feel it needs some life - bunny, cardinal, hint of a deer, etc.. May add yet.

As you can see, I'm having probs. with sizing (new comp. and new Win. 8.0...double ugh). This bottom one is on a piece of packing paper. I had several doodles (no pencil; brush/ink) on one paper, as you can tell. The prob. with the packing paper was that although I loved the text. with its flecks and lt. grey color, it absorbed too quickly. As soon as I lightly touched the brush to the paper, it'd spread like a blotter. The bottom one of the girls turned out pretty bad due to this (and later being in a hurry), so this is the best I can do for this month for now.

Wish there was more time...but you know what that's like.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 1:51 PM

Catherin I don't know if your houses need to cropped.  I looked at it as I would crop it and it really didn't add that much..  I think the trees keep ypu from noticing if it is in the middle unless you are looking for it.

For those that are working in black and white( graphite ink etc.) I have found that if you take the picture in black and white it looks better.  What you get is blark or white and not off color in the paper or a blueish you. color with graphite..  Try it and see if it works for

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:11 PM

Kim...Your quick work is really nice even though it was quick. I always did like ink works of any sort. The path leading up to the horizon is really nicely done and even though the sky looks more "summery" than "wintery" I still like the color.

Geri...Here is my thinking on the wild horse thing. The photo is beautiful and we know they are wild horses because we were told they are. I googled the reserve the horses were actually on and it's a huge place with lots of open meadows etc. I think that simply depicting photo of the herd of horses in the snow area with the trees in the back does not say "wild horses running in an open area" to someone just looking at the image and thought that if I did a third one I would use the lodge on the lake landscape challenge photo, take out the buildings, pretend the lake area was a meadow and reduce the horses down to the proportion I needed to show they were "wild horses running into a big snowy meadow".  that might be an idea.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:11 PM

Kim I think that you are selling yourself short on your little sketches on packing paper.  They are very spotainious  which addslife to them.  Your little painting I do agree it needs a better focal point but is painted well.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:25 PM

Catherine I don't now if adding buildings would make them look wild.  They would have to be very far away.  Wild horses up by buildings doesent say wild unless they were old falling down buildings.  You have in your minds eye that may be completely different than what mine is so do what you think is right.

The horses that you drew look like a small band of wild horses or maybe the horses on winter range on a large ranch.  My opinion for what its worth.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:35 PM

Marsha your little winter farm scene is nice and cheery. Evan if the thought ot now and winter doesn't seem like a cheery thought at the moment.  The only thing I noticed was there was not much traffic on the road.  Must be Sunday and mail man didn't come.  45 here today rain tomorrow and back to winter Sunday.  Boy how much more exciting can it get.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:39 PM

Geri...  lol, I said I'd take out the buildings and pretend it was a meadow not a lake.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:40 PM

Your horse are well done Bonnie.  The early morning blue shadows on the snow lets you know it is cold.

Just curious is the paper Canson  Mya titus (SP) and what color did you use??

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:44 PM

I reread that long post I just made to Geri and it had a seriously loooong run-on sentence at the end. Sorry about that. It made it real hard to read.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Page 31 of 34 (496 items) « First ...  < Previous  29 30 31 32 33  Next >  ... Last » | RSS