CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 25 Jan 2014 11:53 AM

Thanks for the comments about the horse and yes the horse has her head turned with the body sideways.  I'm hoping I can call this sketch done what do you think?  

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 821
Points 18,800
Hearadh wrote
on 26 Jan 2014 12:19 PM

This is a very quick version of the ref.photo. I  painted the shapes I could see as I couldn't recognise some of the trees (Larches or deciduous?) anyway I also reduced the width and depicted  the foreground twigs out of focus to suggest distance. original is 4" x 7" on heavy Bockingford.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
on 26 Jan 2014 4:44 PM

I love this!  It is so soft and I can feel the cold as my eye wanders thru the colors in the snow.

very pretty.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 950
Points 13,785
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 26 Jan 2014 5:13 PM

Sarah, good job on the cabin. The trees are spruce and maples mostly. Your cabin looks good, as well as the shading on the snow. I am so glad you explained about the branches/trees in front and how you had them out of focus to give the painting depth. I debated putting them in or not. My husband thought my version looked like it was top heavy. The branches would have solved that problem, I think. Lovely.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 26 Jan 2014 8:52 PM

Hello everyone. Seems we have a small group this month. I hope everyone is staying warm!

Claudia...Your painting of the dove and chickadee is really well done and I really like how the colors you've used to show the light coming through the branches of the pine tree.

Joyce...Your horse sketch has a "sassy" attitude. I think his/her neck might need a little more width to it as it seems a little thin to me.

Sarah...Your quick watercolor of the lake and lodge is really nice and I like the colors and textures of the trees in the background.

I've been working on my angel statue in the snow and will post it as it is so far. I still need to add the "snow flakes" via a toothbrush. I like the effect you can get with a toothbrush when adding the image of falling snow. I'm going to leave it for a day or two and make sure it is exactly the way I want it before I add the snow as I can't go back in and correct anything after I put that on.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 26 Jan 2014 8:57 PM

This is still taped onto the board and I've masked around the actual painting area which is 7x10 inch. This is done in gouache only. I am going to look at it for a day or two and tweak areas that I think need it and if anyone sees anything that needs tweaked please tell me as I can't go back in once I've added the snow with the toothbrush and watery gouache mixture. When I do the snow falling it will effect the trees by softening the edges of the along the sky line.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 950
Points 13,785
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 26 Jan 2014 11:21 PM

Catherine, your angel statue is beautiful. This is so nicely done, it has such a graceful elegance and is perfectly aligned. The base is lovely. Good luck with the snow application. I have seen it sometimes when people do it with acrylics, they do the first couple of sprays on scrap paper so they don't get any large clumps. Is it the same when using gouache? I think the snow will be a wonderful addition to the painting.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 3:42 AM

Bonnie, Sarah (no I have never seen a brown pigeon in bavaria, but I googled for a photo and I found this colour was fitting), Nealey, Catherine, Thank you for the nice comments, always appreciated.

Joyce the shading and the changes you did made a big difference, like your sketch.

Sarah your winter scene is beautiful.

Catherine, I agree with Bonnie on everything, well done angle statue.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 821
Points 18,800
Hearadh wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 3:50 AM

Hello Cathy...can you print off a copy or two and practice the splatter on them? Make a note of the 'mix'. which is most successful. Gouache is tricky to manage.have you tried Chinese white (water colour.. use thick from a tube)

I think I would actually leave it as it is or give the Angel statue and base a sort of mandorla ( halo) of snowflakes so that you don't obscure any of the hardwork you have put into it. The foreground and plinth is very well done.

Looking forward to seeing the finished painting no matter what you do to it.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 6:23 AM

Thank you everyone for your great comments on my statue in the snow. I'm glad I asked for your advice as I was ready to go ahead with the snow flakes because that was the plan and felt I needed to "follow through".  I do think I'm going to just leave it and not attempt to add the "snow flakes". The first one I did had a different light to it and the snow effects melted into it in a very soft way. I think because the light in the second one is so cold that the snow effect will be to pronounced and will effect the perspective too much. I'm not real happy with the trees and the definition of the figures but will if anything, try another one and in that third one make a point of putting more values and details into those areas.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 7:00 AM

Hello everyone,  I’m sorry I have been away but things have be hectic here in both good and bad.... I am just getting over a shrimp allergy attack  but all is ok now.

I am bummed,  I spent two hours writing a catch up , post only to have it just pop out of the picture so to speak and was gone in a flash... now I have to start all over.... 

First of all let me thank everyone for the kind compliments on my curling painting.

Sammy I hope you feel better very very soon please stay well and come back

Sarah:  kiss your finger and make it better....

Claudia: your ink sketches are absolutely wonderful.  The second one with the fixed makes it just perfect.  great job beautiful work. I like the movement in their skirts as well as the jackets.   Your sketch of the horses it’s quite nice, it has a lot of movement going on and you capture the color well.  I love the snow geese flying over the wetlands.   I agree that the treeline is what is making it look like the water will spill over.  BUT  I love it... and the city in the back ground.   Your horse paintings are some of my favorites both of them, with or without the nose are great, I do like the steamy breath in the one with the nose.   they definitely have on their winter coats.   the eyes are wonderful.  Your Canadian totem poles are absolutely spectacular.
Boy you are on a roll girl.....   your trees in the sunlit snow are very very nicely done.  This looks like our ring neck doves.  we get them quite often around here.   the snow has lovely colors.   For some reason the little chickadee gets a little lost,   I can’t figure out why....   but he is quite pretty.

Kim: very nice avatar really liking it.

Karen: I absolutely adore your little Waxwing. We have one in our front yard it’s always scooting around I have a picture of it somewhere but can’t find it. I love your mix of colors he looks just like the little guy in our front yard.

Liz: your little chickadee is so cute you were so brave to do it with a sharpie and he looks quite chilly which is like I’m sure everybody back east is right now.  The graphite drawing of the grandpa and grandchild is quite nice. I really like the ruffle around the pillow behind his back good job.  Your pastel of the trees is quite striking almost abstract very nicely done I enjoy looking at it.  Your horse and barn picture are nicely done.   looks like he came out of the barn and noticed that it had snowed in the night.

Susanrae: again you have captured the bright colors on watercolor paper. they are so vivid and jump right out and capture your heart beautiful we all wish we were in a  paradise like that one.

Sarah Sarah: your little red squirrel is absolutely adorable. I love the way you next the colors right on the paper beautiful job. your sassy little gray squirrel is adorable as well I can hear him cussing me out as I used to hang my sheets on the line to dry.  I love your pensive little deer as he steps out from the ticket into a clearing you can really see him being careful and alert good job.  I love your mystic eagle head totem pole he looks like he’s coming out of the earth and spiritual way.  I adore the tiny snowdrop.   so dainty and simple.  beautiful. I agree with Karen about the notecard... your cabin across the meadow is quite nice,   its like the other side of where the deer was standing and this is his view...   the foreground makes me think of that deer and it pulls you right into the painting.   always , nicely done.

Jen: your graphite of the grandpa and child is truly you.  you have a way of capturing such joy on faces.  Your grandkids walking the dog is precious...  You really captured the shadows and the light and clothing and the feeling of the moment your grandkids will cherish this one.   It appears that jinx is always there to help you every step of the way.  I have friends in NZ , they own a winery and are telling me about how hot it is.... duh.... your canoeing sketch make me long for my California home.....fun sketch

Christina: your skater is just adorable I can hear her skates on the ice... lovely hand movement.. well done

Jan: 
Great job on your grandpa with the baby very very nice the baby looks precious.  I love your pastel Pheasant painting.   I found myself doing that one as well.   Your colors with the darling little squirrel are beautiful,  makes the sun really bounce off of his fur.   great job.
Joyce: I love your red barns in the winter snow. good job. the hillside the grasses,  the tree, the sky, everything looks very good.  Nice horse sketch,   I hope to see it finished.  

Annemie:   Welcome to our little neck of the world.   Your winterscape with the little red out building is very lovely,   good brush work and composition.

Christina:  your bird of paradise is really very pretty very mysterious beautiful.  the horse is looking very happy running around the corral in the snow.  The painting you did the wintry ocean with those two beautiful seagulls flying over is just gorgeous I could feel the ocean waves and feel the chill in the air it’s really very quite pretty as well as the pretty little starfish....

Alex: what a beautiful avatar

Penelope:  very cute squirrel in CP...  nicely done   Welcome to Artist Daily... hope to see more of your lovely work

Karen:   When are we going to see an avatar...   tee hee..

Catherine: you have come so far since we met in your painting it’s amazing you’re doing a beautiful job I love your ocean and the waves I love the hedges the blowing trees,  all are very very well done.   Your angel in the garden is coming along quite well,  I agree with Sarah’s advice on that one.    it is making a nice avatar for you.

I will finish in the next post....... con't

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 7:06 AM

continued.....

Catherine: you have come so far in your painting since we met  it’s amazing you’re doing a beautiful job I love your ocean and the waves I love the hedges the blowing trees,  all are very very well done.   Your angel in the garden is coming along quite well,  I agree with Sarah’s advice on that one.    it is making a nice avatar for you.

Bonnie: yeah winter homestead reminds me that the sun has just set or its dusk or maybe it’s in the moonlight it’s a moonlight cast under a Bright full moon  very peaceful

Geri:   I think you found another calling with the chinese brushes...  your chick a dee is outstanding.   I love the texture on the branches as well as the softness of the darling little bird.   we have a ton of those little critters in our yard as well.   This is one of your better achievements.   you have many, but this is one up on top of the list. 

I ended up writing a book just to get it all in,   but I have enjoyed going over all of the beautiful paintings by so many .   the interpretations of everyone is  very very interesting. 

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 7:32 AM

Here is my interpretation of the pheasant....  Watercolor  5x5  140lb NOT

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 821
Points 18,800
Hearadh wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 8:11 AM

Hello Marsha...what an epic c/c !!!

My finger is almost healed thank you       and I do like the way you have painted the colourful pheasant ...almost abstract.

Good to see you back again...I am allergic to anything with mussels in it so I know how you must have felt.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 950
Points 13,785
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 8:44 PM

Marsh, what a wonderful watercolour of the pheasant. You got such rich colours with the red around his eye and his iridescent neck feathers. Also his white neck ring is perfect. He is called a ring neck pheasant. Also love his eye. He looks very proud just like he was. Alas he liked to race with the cars and one got the better of him. He rode down the road on my Dad's large round bale of hay that Dad moved with the tractor. And he would fly beside the car for about 1/2 a mile when we left the house. The grandchildren used to love it. Sorry to hear about your bout with the allergies. My daughter is allergic to certain shell fish as well and told me she thought she was going to die. So I'm sorry you had to go through that. Glad to see you back.

Page 27 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  25 26 27 28 29  Next >  ... Last » | RSS