CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,335
NealeyPea wrote
on 22 Jan 2014 6:25 PM

Hiya Geri! ~  Good WC of the chickadee.  I like the warm color you added to him.  The frosty-looking tree branches are great!Yes 

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 22 Jan 2014 9:41 PM

Claudia, I really like the indiv. hairs and overall texture. The bkgrnd. is very sug. of power. Nice one!

Geri, Super! Did U use lifting with a plastic wrap or sim. for the branch text.? It's cool, however U did it.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,475
Points 23,665
Berkenstock wrote
on 22 Jan 2014 9:57 PM

Kim the limbs were done with a farly wet was and then dabbed with a paper towel.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 987
Points 14,360
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Jan 2014 10:49 PM

Claudia, you have captured the frosty breath with horse #2. His hair and mane are also good. His eyes always seem to draw me into the painting. Nicely done. 

Geri, your little chickadee has a nice twinkle in his eye. I like how you backed him with the trees and the trees are great with lots of texture and shading. All of this with the lovely blue background makes for a very nice painting.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 23 Jan 2014 2:13 AM

Geri, your chickadee wc is very good. I see the twinkle too and the branches are super.

Thank you, for all the nice, encouraging comments on horse #2.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 23 Jan 2014 2:14 AM

Nealey, yes i scraped the paint away.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 23 Jan 2014 9:53 PM

Hi to All, winter seems to be all around me I'm getting tired of the cold and snow.  Here is a sketch I did tonight still needs lot of work but I thought I would ask for any comments anyway.    I know the ears aren't right.  Joyce

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 24 Jan 2014 4:48 AM

Joyce, good start. The nose looks perfect. I would suggest that you look at the back ear. The other one looks fine. Maybe take a look at the cheakbone and the location of the eye (or how the rounded area under the eye is called???). In my opinion this is not far away from being perfect.

Bonnie after reading a story with my son and then seeing the picture with the tree with the snow loaded branches I had to do this acrylic.

How heavy is a snowflake?, Is the name of the story. Two birds, a wild pigeon and here a chickadee, are sitting on a branch and wonder how heavy is a snow flake. They agree that a snowflake weighs nothing. The chickadee says it counted snowflakes before. It counted 3.741.952 falling on one branch and then it broke off. The pigeon, which is the symbol for peace, thought that this could be compared with the humans all working together bringing peace to the world. Every little voice counts. (This is just a short version).

How heavy is a snowflake? Acrylic 15,7"x 11,8"

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 987
Points 14,360
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 24 Jan 2014 9:23 AM

Hi Joyce, I know what you mean about winter and it looks like we are warming up a bit but going to get lots of snow. I think it will be around for a while longer. Your horse is looking good. I agree with Claudia, that the nose is perfect. I think his neck could be a little thicker at the back and there seems to be something off around the eye and ears. Not sure what exactly it is.

Claudia, your story is great inspiration for a lovely painting. The sunlight coming through the tree is nice and warm. The tree's boughs weighted with snow are well done and the branches with the birds adds depth to the painting. A nice perky chickadee counting all those snowflakes. Your pigeon's colour connects with the warm sunlight in the background. Nicely done.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 919
Points 20,325
Hearadh wrote
on 24 Jan 2014 11:54 AM

Hello Geri...chickadee lovely, and softly handledYes

Claudia..horse much improved in 2nd version...you know what you have to do(eye) so no need to tell you again!

Claudia.... the story is most interesting and the painting matches it (our doves are grey do you have them that golden in Bavaria or is it just artist's licence?) Doesn't matter, still a very pleasing painting.Yes

Joyce ...will wait until you do more to your horse's head before commenting

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 24 Jan 2014 5:16 PM

I'm trying to download another sketch but the site just won't let me is anyone else having the same problem?

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 24 Jan 2014 5:27 PM

Still in a deep freeze here -16 feels like -22.  Been in the house improving on the horse but the site won't let me download it what is that all about?

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 24 Jan 2014 9:25 PM

Here is my horse sketch I hope I've improved it some. 

Joyce

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,335
NealeyPea wrote
on 24 Jan 2014 9:32 PM

Hi Joyce ~  Your horse drawing is coming along fine.  I'm not a horse expert, but I agree with Bonnie, I think, who mentioned the neck could be more massive.  Sorry about your download probs.  It sure is quiet around here.  Must be everyone is so busy painting...

Hi Claudia ~ Lovely painting of your winter birds & trees.  What a nice story too.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 987
Points 14,360
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 24 Jan 2014 10:27 PM

Joyce, much improved horse. You have fixed up his eye and ear and they look good now. I thought his neck should have been thinker but am now wondering if he is facing forward with his head turned and I thought he was sideways. That would make a difference with the neck. Very nice sketch. I'm glad you were able to post it.

Page 26 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  24 25 26 27 28  Next >  ... Last » | RSS