CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 7:30 AM

Ok I'm going to try to catch up with everyone's work. My daughter bought me a pair of compression gloves to help me with the arthritis in my right hand so I've cut off some of the material around my fingers so I can type with the glove on. They seem to work well and are made to reflect body heat back into the hand area so we'll see how they work when I'm typing..so far so  good.

Jan..Your partridge and squirrel are both very well done! The partridge looks really good with all the right colors and shapes. I like how you've given some parts of the squirrel sharp lines to define it.

Christina...Your horse is so happy! with very effective body language.I really like the snow on the fence behind it. Your flower is very dynamic and WOW your ocean with the birds is just beautiful!

Jen...Oh my Gosh! Your painting of the children on the wooded path is excellent! The lights and shadows are just wonderful! I also like your drawing of the canoe and the way you have shown the figures holding the oars. I also think a few lines in the water to show the action of the oars moving would be an added bonus.

Liz...I really like the ink work of the tree with the sun shining through it with the snow reflections! I also like the ink work with the horse and red barn. The horses body looks very well done and in proportion.

Penelope...Your squirrel has such a rascally look in his little beady eye and his/her body language reflects that very nicely! Welcome to you and looking forward to seeing more of your art.

Sarah...The deer on the edge of the woods shows the silence of the moment and the red barn is the perfect distance away to reflect the size of the meadow. Very nice watercolor!

Claudia...Your totems are great and I really like how well you've defined each face and at the same time kept that soft look about the entire painting. I also love the little wild horse and how it seems it's standing outside in a cold frosty air!

Ok. well the jury is still out on this glove. Seems like it's a little easier to type with it on. I wonder if I can paint with it on? 

Have a great day everyone! It's snowing and cold again here in Ohio but I have the next two days off to work on my second gouache of the angel statue in the snow and also might do a value sketch of the one Challenge photo with the barn along the tree line and the meadow in the foreground before I try to paint it. I have a huge piece of stretched watercolor paper on a board that has plenty of room for plenty of tries at it. I've sort of lost interest in doing a painting of the wild horses in the field although I did do a second graphite sketch of it. Maybe before the month is out I'll do something else with  the horses.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 855
Points 19,360
Hearadh wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 7:49 AM

Hello Claudia,

I thought at first the river was a road...it could be changed as it is only a slight matter of correcting the perspective and lifting some of the distanrt  ''water '....but you may not want to do that (the river is higher than the right (facing viewer) bank so it would overflow. Take another look at the top bird's left wing.

I agree with Cathy about the colours and aerial perspective, very pleasing.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 855
Points 19,360
Hearadh wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 9:30 AM

this is all I have the time to paint today, dug it up but will put it back in the ground. I was surprised to see them flowering . This particular snowdrop has a frilly green inner bell shape which gives the whiter petals a faint green tinge. Original water colour on smooth cartridge paper (sketch book) painting is approx 1.75 "     actual size of specimen.

Sarah

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 7,830
NealeyPea wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 11:19 AM

Hello Catherine ~ I'm beginning to be sick of snow too AND we're going to plunge back into the single digits again!  Nice to see paintings of warmer climates.  I particularly like your top WC of the resort.  As others mentioned, the lights & shadows are very good.  LUV the shadow coming from the foreground palm.  This painting has great lines!  So sorry about your painful hands - keep warm.Cool

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 7,830
NealeyPea wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 11:25 AM

Hello Claudia ~ I like your WC of the stream & snow geese (?).  Very atmospheric.  I personally would leave this as is and do another, if you wish.  Work out the bugs and your new painting will be a masterpiece!

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 11:37 AM

Claudia, I've been thinking about your winter painting that you would like to change and wondered about printing out some copies and trying different things with them to see what might work the best. You would have and better idea about how much you wanted to change. One thing I wondered about was the lines/ripples across the river at the front seem to go up to the left side of the bank instead of being horizontal.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 7,830
NealeyPea wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 11:42 AM

Hello Sarah ~ I''m looking forward to seeing the snowdrops here - the first hope of Spring!  Do you have snow now where you live?  It will be another month or two before I see any snowdrops peeking.  Nice study - thanks for the memories!  HAHA

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 11:52 AM

Sarah, lovely little snowdrop. Their white petals do have a shade of green to them but I never new why. This looks very delicate but I think it must be a hardy flower to bloom through the snow. They are quite amazing little flowers.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 855
Points 19,360
Hearadh wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 12:23 PM

Hello Bonnie and Nealey,

temperatures have been abysmal plus the wind and rain. Heavy frosts but no snow YET! This time last year I was knee deep in it.

Primroses and cyclamen have been blooming too but then I have a some very small sheltered areas in the garden.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Sarah

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 8:26 PM

Catherine, your 3 ptgs. certainly are a great chg. of scenery! Thanks for that shift of temperature! I esp. like the ptgs. with the palms, and the first one is my fav. since so much was going on with that - quite the chall., and you handled it so well. You've done nicely with all. Went back and read again...update: the fact that you used only a brush and got these results - super!

Claudia, love your latest w/c! Its colors are just...wow; wonderful comp. too (if I had tried that...it would not have been pretty in more than one sense). Looks like it could take me into a fantasy world. One of my favs. of yours.

Sarah, the simplicity of your flower is partially what makes this work so well. Every stroke has to be well placed and the color you want for such concise work w/ no room for error - great job.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 9:16 PM

Here is the cabin on the lake. This summer home is actually on a spit of land that extends out into a lovely bay. The bay has bluffs that run around its East and West side. The photo was taken from the West bluff looking East. It had always been a tourist resort with an American clientele. They came for the fishing, however as things change these resorts are being purchased and turned into private retreats. This home is in the location of the original lodge. These resorts had housekeeping cottages and served meals and employed a lot of people including students. To bad to see them disappear.

This is pastel on Canson pastel paper, 16" X 61/2". I has a blue tint from the photo for the snow in front is really white. I am wondering if the snow on the lake in front actually makes it top heavy. And I put in the barn and house on the top of the bluff and think it is probably more of a distraction than anything.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 20 Jan 2014 3:12 AM

Bonnie, Catherine, thank you for taking the time to comment on my horse and totem wc.

Thank you Catherine, Sarah; Nealey, Bonnie, for the motivation and nice words. I will try the printing out method Bonnie and see what I can change with the suggestions given.

Sarah, loveley wc of the snowdrop. It's warm enough here for them to appear. None in my yard yet.

Bonnie,The format you choose for you cabin is perfect.I like the perspective, and the colors

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 20 Jan 2014 6:03 AM

Sarah...What a sweet little bloom with the hints of green. Gives one hope that Spring is coming.

Bonnie...I really like your landscape of the cabin on the lake (I thought it was a meadow). I want to try that one too as it had a nice calmness to it. What a place to live!

Thank you everyone for your comments on my three little paintings. It was good felt good to paint a warm environment.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 855
Points 19,360
Hearadh wrote
on 20 Jan 2014 12:14 PM

Hello Bonnie,

I went back to find the ref. photo and nearly missed it..your version is so blue in contrast to it. Nothing wrong with that...I think the blue shadows on the lake slope too much perhaps they should be more horizontal (lakes are level even under ice) and the part which is white made more positive.

Lovely scene on a grand scale.

Sarah

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 9,995
karend84 wrote
on 20 Jan 2014 3:01 PM

Jen your canoe sketch is wonderful.  I really like the water cut through the vast mountains

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Page 24 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  22 23 24 25 26  Next >  ... Last » | RSS