C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 4:11 PM

Hello Jen!  Your canoeing sketch would make a nice painting and I wish I was floating down a lazy river today.  The lake here is frozen now & today it's full of ice fishermen!

Sarah  ~ Another great wildlife WC.  I like how you have painted a circle of light.  Your effects with scraping to the white look wonderful!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 4:19 PM

Hi Claudia!  Your two WCs of the totems & the horse are both very nice.  I esp. like the look of frozen icicles or snow in the horse's mane.  Maybe you shouldn't have cut his nose off  but I know it was just a quick painting, so NO WORRIES!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 327
Points 5,695
Kim513 wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 5:32 PM

Jen, your pencil drwg. looks like a good study - can picture this as a color ptg.. 

Sarah, your deer scene is perfect; color harmony, comp. - everything. Did you use this for one of your cards, or is it more recent?

Claudia, I love the totems. What I like most is your chosen color palette and how you tied in your colors - rather soft look yet defined. Unique rendition for this subj.. Your horse has a soft textured look & I like the close up view. The spot between the eyes seems a bit strong  (my eyes tend to look there vs. the horse's eyes), but I realize the horse's head may have looked that way. Beautiful use of washes.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 8:28 PM

Here is this week's breakfast work.(I'm sick of winter so no snow paintings at the moment) I tweaked them a little after work too. These are all done with a brush only in wc on a postcard size Canson wc paper 140 lb. Any future wc paintings with a subject of water as the composition are probably going to need to go on 200lb at least paper as I use a lot of water and on a light 140 lb. paper I end up with damage to the paper before I am ready to stop work.  I have a long weekend so I will catch up with all of your paintings and comments this weekend. I see there are some new people so, welcome to all of you.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 9:01 PM

I noticed that dark green shadow to the right of the surfers head was a bit distracting so I went in and lightened it up a bit. It looks a little better but again, the paper has reached it's limit so I can only make corrections up to a point.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,355
Hearadh wrote
on 18 Jan 2014 3:25 AM

Hello to all who commented on my red barn/deer...thank you for taking the time to do so.

Kim...no, not this one. I have painted many other 'deer' scenes which I have used as cards which you may have seen before.

Jen....make sure your people aren't too large for the kayak  and the water level ........even if it is slightly rippling due to the kayak's forward motion.

Claudia.......colourful totems and I agree with what has been said about the horse.

Cathy...agree with you...tropical makes a change! Why don't you stretch your lightweight paper or don't you have the time?    Because I use a lot of water I use gummed blocks.......as you probably know they come in all sizes.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 18 Jan 2014 7:01 AM

Hi Sarah...I do have a couple of boards of stretched paper I made up last weekend but one (140lb.) has a drawing on it now that I'm going to work on this weekend and the other one is 90lb.  27x19 inch on a really heavy 1/2 inch thick board that is going to need to go on my easel. The three little paintings were done on a gummed block and buckling wasn't an issue at all. In all honesty, the problem was me trying to rewet areas too much in order to keep trying to correct mistakes and going at it like I had a pick axe in my hand instead of a rigger brush.  

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,355
Hearadh wrote
on 18 Jan 2014 8:53 AM

Hello Cathy,

thanks for the info.  appreciate  it 

Some of my paintings take a long time (eg the wooden eagle) simply because of the number of washes I do...it is the waiting time in between...   to make sure each layer is bone dry before I lift off colour or apply another layer. I'm sure you know that and I can understand your impatience to finish a piece of work especially if hard pressed for time..

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 18 Jan 2014 1:30 PM

Catherine, your beach, vacation scenes are very nice. I can't say if I like one more. They all have a special story to tell. The first one with the hedge looks the most difficult to me. Nice shading. The second one, the palm trees are moving in the ocean breeze and it seems that the viewer can feel the breeze the surfer has quite a surf on the beach.

Thank you, Nealey, Kim and Sarah for you C/C. I appreciate your input. My intension (forgot to mention this), was that I wanted to do a loose W/C with the winter feeling. I wanted to have the nose of the horse disappear behind its breath. Didn't work that well! Maybe I should have left more white space. Or how would I make the breath more visable?

Suggestions?

Yes, the spot in the middle of the head of the reverence photo was pretty dark, but Kim your right it leads your eye away from the horses eye.

Here is another W/C I did a while ago. I always liked it. It shows a winter scene at our house.

One problem and I don't know if I can fix it, it's the river. It goes up to high. It should turn earlier. I would like to change it since it always bothered me.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 18 Jan 2014 9:04 PM

Claudia, lots of colour and characters in your West Coast totem poles. I looked at all the different characters and there are several birds maybe a raven and a raptor also people eating fish as the natives on the West Coast did. I like that you placed them in a scene with some greenery that looks good with the colours on the  poles.  I really like your horse portrait, his eyes are great. The horses hair is all laying the way it should and his mane with the ice is very nice. Lovely background colours.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 18 Jan 2014 9:35 PM

Catherine, your three paintings are so nice and warm. You have captured the warm sun and the breeze off the ocean. I think the first one with the hedge, palms and resort in the background would be hard to do, your shading is great and brings the painting to life. The palm trees are blowing in the breeze and the grass umbrellas are shaded nicely, a wonderful ocean feel to it. Your surfer looks brave heading into the surf. I like all the colours in the waves. I think there are lots of colours in water. Everyone here are making plans for their winter getaways to the sunny south, trying to find the best deals in their favorite locations, lots go for the entire winter and working people usually take a week or two. Your three paintings make me wish I was going.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 18 Jan 2014 9:45 PM

Claudia, you live in a beautiful area and I can understand why you like this painting, it is very nice. I especially like the sky with the birds flying. I'm not experienced enough to help with your inquiry about the river. This has lovely colours as well.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 18 Jan 2014 9:48 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 19 Jan 2014 6:36 AM

Claudia...If this were mine I would just leave it and paint a second one. I see what you're saying about the river being to high in relation to the land but the overall feeling is so wonderful and the colors are just stunning that trying to repair it after the fact may ruin it. The geese and foreground are the focus really and they are so well done added with those beautiful blues and the distant structure along the skyline, it's really a very beautiful watercolor. Just paint a second one and make a point of using perspective lines to establish the distance. :)

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Page 23 of 34 (496 items) « First ...  < Previous  21 22 23 24 25  Next >  ... Last » | RSS