CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 640
Points 10,225
karend84 wrote
on 16 Jan 2014 11:39 AM

Liz nice job on the horse and barn.  I like the red you added on the barn in the second photo.  Very good drawing. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 640
Points 10,225
karend84 wrote
on 16 Jan 2014 11:51 AM

Cristina nice job on the stormy sea.  Very active painting.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 640
Points 10,225
karend84 wrote
on 16 Jan 2014 11:55 AM

Jan very nice rendition of the squirrel.  He looks great and the metal ring has such shine.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 640
Points 10,225
karend84 wrote
on 16 Jan 2014 11:58 AM

Penelope welcome to the forum. Very cute colored pencil of the squirrel.  I hope to see more of your work

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 16 Jan 2014 11:19 PM

Jen, your pastel of the kids on the snow path is exceptional!! (Enjoyed it as a WIP too.) One of your very best and I love it. Hope you place it in a frame and hang it someplace special.

Joyce, your winter scene has a nice soft feel to it. The sky really looks wintry. Nice.

Jan - Good results and a good lesson in the media, so a good day for you. Beautiful lighting, comp., colors, background...wow - lovely. Your squirrel looks cool too. His expression is great.

Cristina, both works have wonderful texture. The horse is esp. textural - my fav. of all your work. I agree about the structure of the horse being off, but the colors and text. are so rich - nice job. Love the ocean pic. too - media, siza?

Liz, your snowy tree takes on a Japanese quality. So pretty and one of your best, and my fav. of your yours. The horse/barn ptg. has a unique quality too - esp. like the tree in the background...the tech. works so well with nature. The 2nd one was worth the extra effort.

Penelope, I love the chubby squirrel - great personality on him (or her). Good to see your work.
Hope I didn't skip anyone's work - went back/forth and there's so much great work. Really enjoyed seeing it all.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,882
Points 48,275
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Jan 2014 11:48 PM

Sarah, Bonnie, Jan, Claudia, Sammy, Cristina, Nealey, Geri, and Km thanks for all your positive comments on my snowy scene. Sarah that is quite a compliment, Geri there is peach pink and orange in the fg snow believe it or not!

Liz, I love the tree as someone mentioned it has a Japanese look to it and its well done. Had to split my sides on Gerri's comment about the horse 's appendage but unfortunately it does have that look. Other than that I think if you had just darkened the horse and let the barn fade into the distance a bit the horse would have stood out. great job with limited materials and a good learning experience.

Cristina. really lovely work on the teaming waves with the bird flying the currents above them. Very nicely done.

Jan, Nice pastel work on the Squirrel. He has lots of personality.

Penelope, Welcome to our crazy group! You have created a very lively squirrel painting. You have a very nice style.

I think that is me all caught up again!

it was house cleaning day at the studio so we didn't get a lot done. As I am off to my other Daughter this weekend for my cancelled trip after Christmas I just did a quick sketch.

This is of my NZ cousins and how they spend their Winter! Lucky things.  Canoeing on a river near them. I thought it fitted with the theme of winter around the world. I may go on and turn this into a painting when I get back. I just used pencil in my sketchbook and it was darker but lost a lot in the translation!

It doesn't do the scene justice at all but it was something to keep my hand drawing.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,414
Points 81,145
on 16 Jan 2014 11:49 PM

Thank you so much friends for the wonderful comments, suggestions, critiques, I appreciate all of them!

Nealey, to answer to your question, I should say.. I miss the sea..rather than the ocean..I've never lived on the coast, but in my origin country I've used to go very often to the Black Sea and took me about 2 hours by car or 40 minutes by plane, now is not that easy...but I love mountains, too and we have wonderful places here in Colorado.

Cristina

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 885
Points 19,750
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 3:16 AM

Red Barn, snow and a deer.....the snow 'exposed' with the point of a very sharp scalpel....

original  on rough paper. watercolour, approx 6 x 6 inches

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 978
Points 14,285
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 8:39 AM

Jen, your sketch promises to be a beautiful painting. I get the feeling of a vastness in the landscape and the reflections are looking great. Have a good holiday.

Sarah, your red barn and deer in the snow is one of my favorites. The snow is wonderful, a great effect, the deer in the shadows looking to the barn is so well done and is exactly how it would behave and echoes what the viewer is doing. The hind hip and leg of the deer is perfect. I did have some pictures of deer but they were not out in the open and parts were behind trees so I didn't use them and you have placed the deer in the same natural way. Wonderful.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 130
Penelope1 wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 8:48 AM

This is really beautiful! I really like the way you used the vertical lines of the threes to create different layers. The dear integrates so naturally and we so much feel his movement!

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 130
Penelope1 wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 9:02 AM

Shelley and Karen - nice conception! Different takes and both with so interesting results! I like the way you both positioned the subject in the frame! Inspired me!

stella 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,137
Points 22,560
jcurry wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 9:12 AM

Sarah, your red barn and deer painting is beautiful! I am always in awe of someone who can master watercolor!

Jan

C & C Welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 9:29 AM

Jen, like the start. We have a canoe and I'm looking forward to see the final result.

Sarah, your red barn with deer is beautiful. You captured that moment perfect,just the way the deer stands when I see them on my morning walks. Or better when they see me and the dog. The moment they stand like that before they flee.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 9:33 AM

Oops, Penelope1 welcome, sorry I missed your post. The squirrel is simple but nicely done. Hope to see more soon.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 17 Jan 2014 12:31 PM

My kids have Northwest Coast Indian Coloring book, that's were the designs came from.

W/C

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Page 22 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  20 21 22 23 24  Next >  ... Last » | RSS