CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 964
Points 14,035
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 8:48 AM

Jan, good for you in trying the male pheasant. A difficult subject made more so with the combination of mediums. You did a great job with his eye and beak and portrayal of his feathers. The colourful detail on the feathers you captured very well. I'm so glad you did this one, good job.

Jen, I am not experienced enough to comment on your WIP. I'm still trying to figure out the difference of hard and soft pastels. But it is coming along very nicely and I can see why the photo captured your interest in painting the scene, it is lovely.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 13 Jan 2014 11:59 AM

Bonnie, soft pastel is like chalk but it is pigment rather than chalk.  Jen is working with soft pastel.  People generally refer to soft pastel as just pastel.  Oil pastel is like lipstick.  It's oil paint along with other binders in crayon or stick form.  People generally refer to it as oil pastel.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,326
Points 80,265
on 13 Jan 2014 3:50 PM

Hello dear friends,

Here I am again with 2 more paintings that I did over the week-end. So happy I've had  more time to spend  in my studio in the last days.

For the horse painting I've used a photo I've got it not too long time ago in a trip  when I've visited a horse farm and for the flower I've added a bit more imagination... anyway both of them have an abstract feeling...

Thank you so much to everyone for the wonderful comments and encouragements on my works! I appreciate every single word!

I love all of your works, so inspiring!

A lovely day to you all!

With best regards,

Cristina

Mysterious whispers...

IT"S A BEAUTIFUL DAY!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,858
Points 47,675
Turps245 wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 6:41 PM

Cristina, I like the colour and energy you have in the flower and the dark bg. makes it really pop.  Great movement with the horse. I am not up on horse anatomy but maybe his back legs are a bit short, I really like the texture of the ground and bg fencing and trees.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,858
Points 47,675
Turps245 wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 6:53 PM

It's funny how you just don't see things clearly until you get them on the computer. Both Sarah and Sammy told me to lengthen the girl and I did a bit and slim her and I thought the boy was right but now that I look, they both look too young and too short.. Oh well!Sad I like the colours and snow, how their clothes turned out and even the trees now. Lessons learned ALWAYS pay attention to Sarah and Sammy.Big Smile!

I could brush off and do over but that dark purple on the girls top is very soft pastel and is worse than black. It would be a horrible mess and there is a mix of it in her leggings too.!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 8:12 PM

Jen, your work might look diffrent to the reference photo. But this is a wonderful, wonderful  painting. I LOVE it!!!

Thumbs up!!!!!

Cristina, your flower is very nice, I like the contrast. That horse was coming right at my when I looked at it. Nice job.

I comment on the others tomorrow, oh wait it is tomorrow for me.Oh wellBig Smile

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,752
Points 21,775
E.D. wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 8:57 PM

I did this pastel and ink painting of the snow tree just fooling around and this is what came out. I had fun doing it so it wasn't too bad.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,128
Points 22,385
jcurry wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 9:02 PM

Jen, I really like your painting of your two grands walking the dog. Looks perfect to me!

Jan

C & C Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,752
Points 21,775
E.D. wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 10:24 PM

Jen your painting is grand. Love the color.

Cristina both of your painting are very expressive.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 964
Points 14,035
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 10:30 PM

Christina, your bird of paradise does have a mystery about it. The black background really makes the flower stand out. Beautifully done. I love the way your horse's mane and tail are flying giving the horse lots of movement.

Jen, a wonderful pastel of your grandchildren. It turned out so well and the children may look a little younger but are great. Love your colours, especially in the shadows. You've captured a tender moment with the two children together waiting on their dog. Lovely

Liz, great results with the pastel and ink. You have really captured the boughs and have such a warm sunlight background. Nicely done.  

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 14 Jan 2014 1:32 AM

Jan you did a great job on this bird.  I really like how you achieved the glossy black feathers.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 14 Jan 2014 1:39 AM

Cristina your bird of paradise has the look of flames.  Fantastic.  The movement of the horse is great.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 14 Jan 2014 1:50 AM

Jen you should be very proud of your pastel.  The colors are wonderful.  The trees and kids look great and the puppy seems to have found something interesting in the snow.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 14 Jan 2014 1:53 AM

Liz great affect with the pastel and ink.  The sunlight shines through very well.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 861
Points 19,480
Hearadh wrote
on 14 Jan 2014 7:02 AM

Hello Cristina,

lively rendition of the flower in your instantly recognisable style.....my only comment would be that the petals could be a little smoother.

Again the horse is lively and I agree with Jen that the legs (and flank) need more attention. The textures of fore/ background are interesting but because there is little difference in tonal values the horse appears to be floating.

This may have been your intention (ref. your comment almost abstract) if so please ignore my comments!!!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Page 18 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  16 17 18 19 20  Next >  ... Last » | RSS