CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 495 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 6:47 PM

Joyce what a really nice watercolor of the barns and snow. Red barns are so pretty when there is snow on the ground.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 712
Points 11,640
karend84 wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 7:04 PM

Sarah fantastic wood carving.  You definitely shouted the wonderful carving and the suggestion of the eagle soaring through the pines.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 712
Points 11,640
karend84 wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 7:09 PM

Anne welcome to the forum.  Your watercolor is very well done. Very nice perspective.  Looks like some areas here in Pennsylvania at this time of year.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 712
Points 11,640
karend84 wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 7:14 PM

Jen your pastel is wonderful already.  I love the snowy shadows.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 712
Points 11,640
karend84 wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 7:16 PM

Joyce.  Great winter scene with the red barns.  Your sky is very pretty and the red just pops

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,169
Points 23,445
jcurry wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 7:54 PM

This was tough!  I combined soft pastel and oil pastel. Probably won't try that again. 11"x14" on toned paper.

Jan

C & C Welcome

• | Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,991
Points 50,335
Turps245 wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:21 PM

Thank you all for your interest and comment on my snowy day WIP. I am attaching the original photo so you can see what I am working from. I am not very good at dormant trees or trees of any kind for that matter and I think I got a little carried away. I will probably brush off much of the darker parts and try again, I cropped the right side and bottom a bit. As you can see the children are almost in silhouette and I am not sure I want to add much colour to them. I wanted to make the trees, shadows and snow more colourful, Just struggling a bit with the how. I will probably play on photoshop which is what I had planned to do then didn't!

Jan, to answer your question I first rubbed in some blue, purple and cream coloured hard nupastel to give an under  painting then sprayed it with a light coat of Spectra Fix Spray. Then I drew in the children and some lined of shadow and suggestions of trees in the lighter part at the top of the painting with a cream pastels pencil and sprayed that too.  then I started adding the trees with Nupastels and some softer pastels like Rembrandts. That is where I am now. By the way don't mix soft pastels and oils pastels as they don't mix. they are different mediums and have different bases.

I have reposted for easier comparison.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,991
Points 50,335
Turps245 wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:25 PM

Joyce, What a cheerful snowy painting with your red barns so dramatic against the white of the snow.

Jan, you did a fine job with the colourful bird, Not sure how the two pastels worked together but it looks great.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 733
Points 12,375
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:45 PM

Hi to All!  

Jen- your sketch of granddad and baby is good love granddad's face.  The pastel of the trees and children is coming along can't wait to see it done.  

Hearadt- the broken and red squirrels are good.  The tail on the red one is real good.

jan- granddad and baby is sweet love granddad's eyes.  Your pastel picture is a WOW!

Sarah - the artefact  painting I enjoyed seeing.

Marsha- you ask if I used frog tape and yes I do if it is painters tape.......

Cristina-your paintings are always sweet and I'm  happy you post them. 

Claudia- "hockey" Go Red Wings, your ladies are good no need to do another.  The horse drawing is also good.  We'll done

Karen- nice colours on the bird painting also week done.

Liz- both pictures are nice good job on using the pen!

I hope I haven't missed anyone and if I did I hope you let me know!

Thanks again for comments on my pictures, Joyce

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,355
Hearadh wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 3:18 AM

Hello  Jan...interesting technique. and pleasing outcome.......remember no gain without pain!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,355
Hearadh wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 3:20 AM

Thank you Sam, Karen and Joyce...comments appreciated.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,355
Hearadh wrote
on 13 Jan 2014 3:55 AM

Hello Jen,

until you take the plunge and darken the children's shapes the trees will always look dominant. Try smudging the trees and leave the viewer to imagine the rest. You can always add a few trunks/branches. The snow/ shadows look good .

Hope this helps.

Sarah

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 13 Jan 2014 4:15 AM

Joyce, I particularly like your red barn in the snowy field and think it would make a lovely holiday card. The positioning of the buildings in the lower third is very artistic, as are the dried grasses peeking through the snow and the winter sky.

Jan, this is a beautiful watercolor of the partridge. That photo really appealed to me the moment I saw it, and I'm so glad you painted it.

Jen, I love seeing your WIPs. This is such a sound composition of the two children in the snowy lane and the blue of the shadows is beautiful.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 13 Jan 2014 6:51 AM

Jan, what wonderful colors on the partridge.  It looks good.  I would be afraid to try and mix soft pastels with oil pastels.

Jen, your children in the snow painting is coming along well.  May I suggest that you check their proportions before darkening them especially the length of the legs. The boy's aren't far off but it seems that the girl's are too short.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 13 Jan 2014 6:51 AM

Jan, what wonderful colors on the partridge.  It looks good.  I would be afraid to try and mix soft pastels with oil pastels.

Jen, your children in the snow painting is coming along well.  May I suggest that you check their proportions before darkening them especially the length of the legs. The boy's aren't far off but it seems that the girl's are too short.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 17 of 34 (496 items) « First ...  < Previous  15 16 17 18 19  Next >  ... Last » | RSS