CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 728
Points 12,260
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 7:12 PM

Anne, welcome your picture is beautiful!  Looking forward to seeing more paintings of yours.

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 8:19 PM

Sarah. This is an interesting painting of the woodcarving. good job on making it look like carved wood and I like the hint of trees in the bg.

Anne, Welcome to our group. I really like your snowy scene and the tree is well done.good for you changing it around and making it your own. I hope you join in some more.

Well today we had a big group at the studio as we all were thankful the ice has gone and we could all get out again. I started with a underpainting of hard pastels and am now working on the bg trees and such. I have a ways to go but it is a start.

9x12 Uart sanded paper, various pastels.

Underpainting

Starting painting. I am not happy with the trees yet and shadows need softening and refining.  I guess it is at the ugly stage!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 859
Points 19,440
Hearadh wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 3:29 AM

Fitsrt of all thanks for the kind comments again expressed by Alex, Kim and Jen. re. the sqirrels and wood carving

Alex..plein air always makes for more interesting colours...the light is different and one has to work fast.. Took me a long time  to cope with the great outdoors...painted very small Scottish landscapes until then. Prolific.....can't do any gardening because of the bad weather and I dislike  housework. Must take a break now and clear the kitchen table of my painting gear.

AnnemiekNY...pleasant landscape..good to see someone new. Agree with Kim that a few words about yourself in Bio. would be helpful...  I have noticed that you are not the only one to remain anonymous.. I hesitate to c/c if I don't know how experienced you are.

Jen..the pastel is coming along nicely...the first one looks colder than the second...are the tree trunks as warm as that or are you going to darken them? 

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 6:36 AM

Time to do the catch up thing. So many new paintings and drawings to look at since the last time I was here. All very well done and wonderful to look at.

Joyce...I like how your Bird of Paradise painting shows the beautiful colors of the petals and at the same time shows the power of and how protective the red petals are of the delicate blue center! 

Jan...The shapes of the wild horse's legs really imply the flurry of legs moving quickly and I also like the soft colors in their bodies. The grandfather drawing is very nice too.

Claudia...I love your colored pencil of the three sparrows sitting together on the limb. Sparrows always seem to appear as though their whole life is a family reunion. I also like your horses.

Cristina...Your skater shows such nice form and I like how you've seemed to catch her in that exact moment. I also like your yellow sun on the white snow and really like the little flicks of pure white on the snow to imply the reflection of ice.

Marsha...A very nice watercolor for a quickie. I like the light and shadows.

Karen...Your Cedar Waxwing is lovely with the soft colors and sharp shapes. The tree limbs look good with the same colors in them as are in the bird.

Liz...Your little Chickadee on the limb really catches the behavior of  the flitting and hopping that Chickadees do. I also like the drawing of the grandfather and his grandchild.

Sarah...The red squirrel watercolor is wonderful with his/her sharp little eye noticing something out of our view. I really like the effects of the brush strokes. Your little gray squirrel watercolor is another great one and that is just what squirrels look like when you look up into the trees at them.  The wooden bird painting is also very nice and I really like the background shapes.

Susan...Your Bird of Paradise looks like it is calling out to it's friends. I like the great gesture you've got there and also the palms and beach with that great blue color.

Jen...Your drawing of the grandfather is another great drawing. very nice light and shadows there. (I like your little black cat too) :) The pastel of the children on snowy, shadowy path is coming along nicely and it makes me wonder what is at the end of that path!

Anne...Welcome to the forum! Your watercolor landscape is very nice and I look forward to seeing more of your art!

I think I've commented on everyone and if I missed anyone's art please forgive me.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 728
Points 12,260
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 9:14 AM

Hi to All, I just wanted to show a painting I did, and later today I will get caught up on everyone work.  I did this in 2011 but I was looking at all my paintings and thought it would fix into this months challenge.  It is done using wathercolours.  Joyce

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 10:19 AM

Sarah, this is a wonderful painting. Larry Joseph the carver has captured the erect stature of a bald eagle and you have captured this and the chiseled wooden medium of the carving. Your background looks like a wilderness with a rosy sky highlighting the subject. I like this one very much and think it's perfect for a Canadian theme.

Anne, welcome to the forum. I am very pleased with your painting and how you changed the composition of the photo to create such a lovely scene. Having the fence lead into the painting is a good choice . The morning light in the tree is great. I do hope you continue to participate, it is very nice to see your work.

Jen, your pastel is coming along nicely. I really like the colour of your shadows and your sketched in grandchildren are going to be great. Nice to see the progress steps to this piece.

Joyce, love your painting of the red buildings. This is a great winter scene and the red buildings warm it up nicely. Your trees are well done. A very nice painting.

Alex, thank you for your kind comments.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,128
Points 22,385
jcurry wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 10:32 AM

Jen, your pastel looks very intriguing! Can't wait see how you progress. Did you do a wash, what was your process? Did you draw the figures before or after laying the first colors? I'm very much interested. Thank you for including the forum in your process. 

Jan

C & C Welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 504
Points 7,875
NealeyPea wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:10 AM

Jan ~ Good effort with your drawing of the baby and grandfather!  You have captured the baby's features especially well - one really needs a light touch modeling young faces or they become WAY older than their age!

Sarah ~ Your WC of your Native carving is even more interesting because you added a background that fits the locale of the original carving.  You're so good at this!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 504
Points 7,875
NealeyPea wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:17 AM

Welcome AnnemiekNY!  Nice WC landscape.  I like how you left white of the paper showing for the highlights; also good rendering of the dead grasses.  This looks just like where I live too!  Hope you post more.

Nealey

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 859
Points 19,440
Hearadh wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:26 AM

Thanks Cathy and thanks too to you Bonnie. The more I painted this the more I had to admire the skill of the carver. I have only sculpted in stone and that was difficult so I tried my best to pay my respects to a master of his art..

Hello Joyce...agree with Bonnie...the red buildings bring it to life.

Sarah

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 504
Points 7,875
NealeyPea wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:29 AM

Jen ~ I'm glad you got to get out of the house & go to your studio.Wink  I'm liking your progress on your pastel of the children on the path.  Especially like the shadows on the snow.  Can't wait to see the finished painting.

Joyce ~ This is a nice and BRIGHT snow scene of the farm - love the reds!  You also did a wonderful rendering of the trees.  Good job!

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 859
Points 19,440
Hearadh wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:37 AM

Hello Nealey...almost closed down before I saw your comments. Thank you for them.

I taught Art History alongside the practical...I really enjoy that aspect of art because I do believe that knowing even just a little about our past is important to our personal progress.

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 12 Jan 2014 3:06 PM

Jan, you were wise to put a dark background behind grandpas head.  It makes him pop.  Your drawing of grandpa is good with all the features placed in the proper places.  The baby's face if good, too.

Sarah, what an interesting sculpture of the eagle.  You did a fine job of painting it.  The background is lovely.

AnnemiekNY, welcome to PMP.  What a fine painting of the winter landscape.  Your rearranging of the photos elements works very nicely and you captured the essence of the scene.  Hope to see more of your work.  Tell us your name.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 12 Jan 2014 3:13 PM

Oops!  I though that I was done but there's one more page.  Lovely page at that with the beginning of a winter snow scene and a red barn.

Jen, the shadows of the snow are shaping up nicely.  The contrast of the snow and shadows is very nice. The colors you use on the children's clothing will make a big difference so why don't you wait until you get that down before tweaking anything.

Joyce, I like your red barn winter scene very much.  It looks just like a gray, winter day and the red buildings create a strong focal point.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 5:13 PM

Jan you achieved a very good likeness on Grandaddy and baby.  Nice drawing

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Page 16 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  14 15 16 17 18  Next >  ... Last » | RSS